Adverts that irritate and entertain

marksi

Northern Ireland yogurt memories are more Dale Farm. No not that one. Bloody pikeys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y12-A6Xkqw&t=16s
Inspector Sands

I know it's been running a while, but I'm still really loving the John Lewis ad:

Earlier I saw it played after the new Dulux one, they work well together probably because of the nostalgic music choice:
Inspector Sands

Sput wrote:The muller advert. The really really long one that seems to cram in as many copyrighted characters as possible.

What's going on with that, then?
I hadn't seen it until just now on YouTube and, yes it's odd.

The problem it seems to me is that companies are desperate to have the latest viral advert that everyone's talking about and sharing. So they do these big spectaculars which cost a lot of money and take a lot of work to do and they rarely work. Things that catch the public's imagination can't be planned, it happens spontaneously.

The recent Cadbury ones are a good example, they had an unexpected hit with that gorilla advert and then tried repeatedly to do it again but it all seemed a bit forced
Alexia

McDonald's completely vandalising "On The Street Where You Live", a classic musical number, in favour of shifting a few burgers.

Plus I don't get the premise of the advert. Single white city dude likes eating high-fat overpriced processed meat sandwich. What's edgy and unique about that? That's not going to get the iPad generation talking, apart from in their revulsion.
Sput

Whoever wrote the song had to agree to it, right?
Knight knight
Philip

Alexia wrote:McDonald's completely vandalising "On The Street Where You Live", a classic musical number, in favour of shifting a few burgers.

Plus I don't get the premise of the advert. Single white city dude likes eating high-fat overpriced processed meat sandwich. What's edgy and unique about that? That's not going to get the iPad generation talking, apart from in their revulsion.
Maybe they should stop over-thinking it. Wasn't their most successful advert in recent years the advert in slow motion of someone about to eat a Big Mac? It made people want to go out that minute and buy a McDonald's burger, or at least that's what ShortList magazine said.
Alexia

Sput wrote:Whoever wrote the song had to agree to it, right?
Sort of -- the rights holders anyway, which would be the estate of Lerner and Loewe, who wrote the song for My Fair Lady. Seeing as they've let everyone from Nat King Cole to Perry Como cover it, exclusivity isn't exactly a hallmark. Also US copyright law is noticeably longer than UK copyright law, being 70 years from the death of the author (thanks to Sonny Bono).

ShortList magazine? What's that? (looks on Wiki) Oh - some three-year old London-only freesheet cobbled together by writers not good enough for FHM or Maxim.
Philip

Alexia wrote:ShortList magazine? What's that? (looks on Wiki) Oh - some three-year old London-only freesheet cobbled together by writers not good enough for FHM or Maxim.
It's not London only now is it? I used to pick it up at the NCP car park in Liverpool One. Only reason I've ever heard/read of it.
Philip

Okay, there's something really wrong about the current Go Compare advert.

Whilst the previous adverts have been at least British-looking/feeling (apart from the spaceship one), this current advert just looks like an American advert from the 90s. Gimmicky effects, a pretty stupid theme, and makes the company look even more unprofessional.

It looks like one of those adverts that you think were made in America, but were actually made in South Africa.
Chris

Philip wrote:Okay, there's something really wrong about the current Go Compare advert.

Whilst the previous adverts have been at least British-looking/feeling (apart from the spaceship one), this current advert just looks like an American advert from the 90s. Gimmicky effects, a pretty stupid theme, and makes the company look even more unprofessional.

It looks like one of those adverts that you think were made in America, but were actually made in South Africa.
ALL of the Go Compare adverts are a load of shite. Gotta be the most annoying advert on TV, ever.
bilky asko

Thank you EYMS for not having singing bus drivers.