Yet another Morrisons thread

SirKen

Col wrote:Was in my local Morrisons this morning and I've noticed they've virtually stopped selling CDs - the only ones I could find were on two low-level shelves at the end of the aisle they used to be stocked in, which now features childrens' toys instead.

Does anyone know is this a trend that's happened across the entire chain?
They seem to be pushing newspapers less too but more space for magazines, less space for CD's but more space for toys / partyware and the like - where the margin is.

The stores with a techno desk are seeing those disappear now as part of the new homeware roll out, their new CD supplier does the security tagging and pricing for them, so they just need replenishing onto the shelf.
WillPS

Techno @ M is going after only a few years then. Nice forward planning from Morrisons as ever.

Regarding wastage of Chickens, I used to work on the 'food to go' counter at Sainsbury's (similar to Oven Fresh, more meat and less pies). All hot food had a 'cabinet life' of 2 hours - after which it was removed from sale completely (we'd sometimes reduce at 90 and/or 115 minutes if there was some to shift). This was chain-wide, and when I went for food hygiene training I was told it was a HSE requirement.

I've seen stock at Spar with a 7am label on sale well in to the afternoon, but I've always put this down to poor management.
Gavin Scott
Admin

They throw out hot roast chickens after two hours? What a waste!

I do hope there's a worthy charity who come with a wheelbarrow to collect them - that would certainly be a better use than throwing them in a skip.

Tesco reduce theirs to just a couple of quid when they're past their best. No matter what I've planned for dinner I always take one.

God its six minutes past nine and I want roast chicken.
WillPS

It was rare that I personally disposed of whole chickens. I was proactive about reducing them and if I had a couple left I'd usually try to offload them on staff for 50p.

I did once go mad at my supervisor after I took over the counter from him with nearly a whole bloody batch in the disposals crate. He'd had faaaar too many put in the oven in order to impress somebody coming in who was responsible for giving him a promotion.
SirKen

WillPS wrote:Techno @ M is going after only a few years then. Nice forward planning from Morrisons as ever.

Regarding wastage of Chickens, I used to work on the 'food to go' counter at Sainsbury's (similar to Oven Fresh, more meat and less pies). All hot food had a 'cabinet life' of 2 hours - after which it was removed from sale completely (we'd sometimes reduce at 90 and/or 115 minutes if there was some to shift). This was chain-wide, and when I went for food hygiene training I was told it was a HSE requirement.

I've seen stock at Spar with a 7am label on sale well in to the afternoon, but I've always put this down to poor management.
Techno desk was flawed really, why spend the wage budget on manning a counter? That way the hours can be re-distributed around the store and get the supplier to do the CD tagging work.

In terms of the 2 hour guarantee, that's something that Kirstall themselves are doing, I must admit I didnt really look at the chicken counter but the hot chicken sandwich I got had a time of 14:01 on it for removal, I doubt that they are thrown away and instead used for pizza / sandwiches / salads. Vertical integration ftw in store!

Keep an eye out as I'll be off back again for a 4th visit as even more changes have taken place, subtle ones naturally but nevertheless they make a difference - snack bar now has a manned coffee desk and the Bakery are pushing their credentials for freshness.
SirKen

Any of your locals to Swinton, Manchester may wish to be in or around late July as they are getting the Produce that Kirkstall has as they have been selected to be another trial store, they have the flower shop already.

Ilkley signage is now up for the convenience store ahead of it's opening on Friday (keep an eye on the blog for an in depth visit report).

Jovis

I'm not sure that M is distinctive enough to immediately say Morrisons.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Sainsbury's Local in Leith has opened.

*disappointed*

Its very handy for those living in the area who would want general groceries; but as its located near lots of offices I would have expected it to carry a better range of sandwiches, pre-made salads etc.

Instead there's a small range of veg, but not quite enough diversity to buy my own salad ingredients. Things like bleach and Windolene seem out of place there.

Perhaps the range will change.
Alexia

Jovis wrote:I'm not sure that M is distinctive enough to immediately say Morrisons.
For some reason, it says "Manchester buses" to me... not sure why!
WillPS

Jovis wrote:I'm not sure that M is distinctive enough to immediately say Morrisons.
I was literally typing my post to agree, when my girlfriend said "oooh, is that a Morrisons Local I see"!
nwtv2003

Three 'M Local' stores will be open on the 'M62 Corridor' pretty soon, one of them as shown in the picture there, one of the other stores will be at Upton Rocks near Widnes, I think one of them may have opened already as some advertising already has 'Not at Morrisons Local' on screen.
steve