The *OFFICIAL* Asda thread

Ebeneezer Scrooge

Chie wrote:Having been a loyal patron for 24 years I am really going off Asda.

Last week the price of a Yazoo milkshake went up from 70p to £1 (a couple of years ago it was only 48p).

I drink two of those per day so that's an extra £10 on my shopping bill each month alone.

I can't bring myself to start shopping at the nearby Tesco as I find the store unbearably sterile and unwelcoming but if Asda keep putting up prices then I'm afraid I'm going to have no option but to shop at Tesco (wearing sunglasses).
But a quick look on mysupermarket.co.uk suggests that ASDAs pricing is the same as Tesco and 9p cheaper than Sainsburys. Ocado come in at 99p. So it's no reason to be going off ASDA, things are just ridiculously expensive now and we've found that ASDA tend to be most reliable for keeping prices low in general.
However, if you are going through 2 milkshakes a day, why not buy 1L bottles instead and balance your price out to 60p per 500ml...
Snarky
Chie

Ebeneezer Scrooge wrote:But a quick look on mysupermarket.co.uk suggests that ASDAs pricing is the same as Tesco and 9p cheaper than Sainsburys. Ocado come in at 99p. So it's no reason to be going off ASDA, things are just ridiculously expensive now and we've found that ASDA tend to be most reliable for keeping prices low in general.
However, if you are going through 2 milkshakes a day, why not buy 1L bottles instead and balance your price out to 60p per 500ml...
Whenever I have shopped at Tesco it's always been a little bit cheaper than Asda. I guess it depends what you buy. I only stick with Asda because Tesco's instore environment gets on my nerves too much.

The litre bottle thing is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.
Ebeneezer Scrooge

My only problem with Asda is I can't rely on them for certain items. It could just be the area that my Asda is in, but it would be nice not to have to fall back on Sainsburys invariably.
I don't really see the point in being open 24 hours if they don't stock the fruit and veg constantly, although the quality is generally better than Sainsburys.
Snarky
SirKen

This forum is supermarket heaven, I did a blog post on Asda recently highlighting a few operational issues I believe they've got.

Interestingly their chief operating officer left today after only 6 months, surprising.

Their cross range deals have gone too, we usually get the cheese (2 for £3) but not on offer, nor were the kids yoghurts, previously the entire range of all kinds - Petit filous, little stars, munch bunch 6 packs etc were on a cross promo 3 for £3 - nothing on today.

That sort of removal will see folk moving en masse to Morrisons with the raft of deals.
WillPS

I love ASDA. It doesn't try to be anything it isn't (*cough*Market Street*cough*) - it feels like you're in a supermarket. Has all the ranges I like (including stuff I can't get at Sainsbury's or Tesco like that Kriek Fruit Beer), and I'm confident the pricing away from offers is better than the others. The guarantee assists in this belief (although I don't accept it as proof positive).

The best stores, by far, were Safeway megastores though. If only Morrisons wasn't managed by idiots.
Gavin Scott
Admin

A Sainsbury's is currently under construction in an ex-office furniture shop on Bernard Street, Leith, round the corner from my office.

There's not a decent shop within half a mile, and no one fancies the trek up to the big Tesco at the foot of Leith Walk, or the piss poor City Tesco on Great Junction Street. I was in there yesterday. £2.49 for a punnet of grapes?! Get knotted.

Mind you, on the walk in this morning, I went into Scotmid for a £1 punnet of green grapes from the offers pile at the front of the shop. They only had red ones left and I took them to the till and was asked for £4.

Needless to say I put them back.

Its ridiculous. I try to take the healthy option and this is what I get.

Two packets of fruit Mentos are only 98p for heavens sake.

All that said, I expect Sainsbury's to be expensive, but I also know the quality of the salads and fresh produce is good, and from the size of the place it looks like it might carry a broad range of stock, so I expect they'll get quite a bit of my custom.

The shop is currently part-covered by big orange boards with an illustration of a giant sponge cake. Or it might be a muffin, I forget.
Sput

They do at least do the little fruit salads for £1. Even in the locals!
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

Sput wrote:They do at least do the little fruit salads for £1. Even in the locals!
But they're so wee.

If I'm having a salad for lunch instead of something wicked like cheese toasties, then I want it to be substantial. I have a college reunion on the 1st of the month. Currently perusing the facebook entries of old classmates saying things like, "Well, that's another 10 mile run today" etc etc. I simply *must* drop some weight too.

We're all taking it very seriously, like you'd expect from a bunch of actors.

EDIT: Oh you said fruit salad. Well, my point stands. If you're going to eat fruit, eat lots.
WillPS

You might be surprised. JS really are not noticably more expensive on food-to-go and produce items (and where they are there's often good reason, like the Bananas are about 10p/kg more but they're all Fairtrade).
Gavin Scott
Admin

I'm paying 50p per 'nana from the convenience shop at the moment. I wonder what that equates to per kilo.

Mostly he only seems to have the ones only fit to make banana bread, with thinning skin and blotches like liver spots. I imagine its similar to gobbling an octogenarian.

But PlymouthStu may correct me.

*ZING*
Chie

Whilst perusing one of the toiletry aisles yesterday, I happened to notice the price of Asda multivitamins had gone up by 400%, from 74p to £3.50. How much does it even cost to manufacture 60 iddy biddy multivitamins? 40p?

Separate vitamins taken throughout the day are more beneficial anyway.