Another High Street Rebrand

WillPS

I strolled in to Netto Scunthorpe at 5pm, on a failed mission to find somewhere in the godforsaken town that would sell me some fresh parmigiana cheese. I managed to walk past several large posters and a whole aisle that had been all-but-stripped before I realised the store was closing for conversion in an hour.
rdobbie

DJDave wrote:Just to add on the rebrand topic found this the other day http://your.asda.com/netto
Good find, thanks. The conversion photos and time-lapse video are interesting.

It looks like these conversions have been a totally "clean break" - i.e. the Netto format has stayed intact until closing day, then been eradicated and the shop reduced to nothing more than a shell before having an ASDA refit. (In fact, Netto are still banging out weekly flyers with no hint of any ASDA influence.)

A real contrast to the Safeway/Morrisons and Somerfield/Co-op transitions whereby own-brand product ranges, staff uniforms, POS materials, and so on, were phased in often many months before the stores were refitted, causing some fascinating branding clashes.
Philip

I also remember visiting Kwik-Save and they had Somerfield plastic bags, uniforms, special offer flyers etc. but it was still Kwik-save interior and you were still supposed to call it Kwik-save until they changed, apparently. :S

I notice in that video they actually replace all of the lights with new ones, that is a bit of a waste is it not?
m-in-m

Philip wrote:I also remember visiting Kwik-Save and they had Somerfield plastic bags, uniforms, special offer flyers etc. but it was still Kwik-save interior and you were still supposed to call it Kwik-save until they changed, apparently. :S

I notice in that video they actually replace all of the lights with new ones, that is a bit of a waste is it not?
Asda may well be installing more energy efficient lighting.
Critique

I'd never heard of this Netto chain of stores until I read this thread, as the nearest one, according to their website, is 22 miles away.
Alexia

Not a Peter Kay fan then, Critique?
Beep

Alexia wrote:Not a Peter Kay fan then, Critique?
Rola Cola anyone?
Jovis

m-in-m wrote:
Philip wrote:I also remember visiting Kwik-Save and they had Somerfield plastic bags, uniforms, special offer flyers etc. but it was still Kwik-save interior and you were still supposed to call it Kwik-save until they changed, apparently. :S

If it's just nicer lighting (maybe a different temperature) then it might encourage more sales - I for one hate the original strip lighting, which looks pretty old-fashioned.
Philip

Jovis wrote:
m-in-m wrote:

If it's just nicer lighting (maybe a different temperature) then it might encourage more sales - I for one hate the original strip lighting, which looks pretty old-fashioned.
It looks cooler in temperature than the old ones - which seem to match the yellow layout (either that or they were just old tubes)
Jake

Jovis wrote:
m-in-m wrote:

It's not sinister then?
Philip Cobbold

It still amazes me that Asda are using such an outdated POS system on their checkouts when every other supermarket has moved over to LCD screens by now. It makes you wonder where they're actually getting all the kit from, as I'd be surprised if it's still in manufacture. They must have a huge stock pile of the things, as this conversion is going to require a pretty large amount of kit to fit all the stores out/