The Christmas and general Festiveness thread

steddenm

Beep wrote:
Gavin Scott wrote:As some may know, my mum passed away a few weeks ago.
Sorry to hear about that Gavin.
Gavin, I understand what you must be going through and my thoughts are with you xx
Nick Harvey
God

steddenm wrote:Gavin, I understand what you must be going through and my thoughts are with you
Oh, which of your mothers have you lost this year?
steddenm

Nick Harvey wrote:
steddenm wrote:Gavin, I understand what you must be going through and my thoughts are with you
Oh, which of your mothers have you lost this year?
Wasn't this year was in 1995 thank you very much.
WillPS

Very much like the 2010 take on the Christmas branding! I take it you're going to use the imagery from this set until BBC Two get a new set too? :D

EDIT: is Maggie making a return?
Pete

WillPS wrote:Very much like the 2010 take on the Christmas branding!
I'm glad you noticed it *has* been updated, even if it is quite subtle :)

as for maggie, no idea, her neminsis metrotwitter is long dead. having said that, if she's on duty she might be planning to host a special christmas metrochat

btw evil tooth of pain is due to be removed in an hour's time so hopefully should get some snaps of my tree tonight.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Cache

I spy Dimblebot.
Dimblebot

INCORRECT. DIMBLEBOT HAS BEEN CONCEALED AND IS TRAVELLING AT HIGH SPEED, THEREFORE IS UNDETECTABLE TO HUMAN EYES.
DIMBLEBOT >
Nick Harvey
God

Oh, I assumed you were hiding in the Dimbletorium, next door to a very important place.
Sput

Nick, if I didn't know better I'd swear someone was trying to suggest you live in the rear of a reindeer!
Knight knight
Nick Harvey
God

Sput wrote:Nick, if I didn't know better I'd swear someone was trying to suggest you live in the rear of a reindeer!
No, no, no, to the rear of a reindeer!

Ho, ho, ho!
Alexia

I thought I'd best contribute to this thread now tonight, because the next few days will be busy.

I won't look back on 2010 with any great fondness, but then again, not with much regret either. I welcomed a niece into my world, and almost simultaneously shut a brother out. I gained an extra qualification, but once again another year of my life passes not knowing my native language. I expanded my palate, but still sang the same old shite on karaoke. I lost a stone and a half, then put it back on again.

Oh - and I supported the only undefeated team at the football world cup, became slightly over-obsessed with "Africa" by Toto, was introduced to Never Surrender by Giant after hearing it on a certain radio station, made my ingrowing toenail worse, turned into a Guinness drinker overnight (a week in Ireland helped mind) and discovered a pub that serves beer in two-pint glasses.

As I write this however, my boss is in a coma and future-Mrs-Alexia's recently-widowed grandfather will be spending the yuletide on ward C4 West of the local NHS outlet. The level of snow on the ground is still casting a questionable white haze over our Christmas travel plans (while others fathom how they will get out of Terminal 5, we are fathoming how to get 6 miles up a valley). But I have two arms, two legs, two eyes and the normal number of everything else. I'm not normally introspective, but these past seven days have been sobering in a manner I never though possible of my personality; one which is rarely genuinely low or pessimistic about things (sardonic commentary and occasional outbreaks of Grumpy-Old-Itis excepted).

To one and all on Metropol, the best forum on the internet and one which I recommend frequently to friends and colleagues, I wish you a happy, restful and enjoyable Christmas holiday and good health and best wishes for 2011. They may just be numbers on a calendar, but hell we have little to enjoy in these short years we get trotting around this wretched planet so a good binge is as worthy a way to spend the solstice as any.

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to anyone I've offended on here or t'other place -- in particular I would like to extend a handshake to Beep and Chie, two souls who I will never see eye to eye with but whose views and opinions I respect. In view of this, my sig will change in the new year once I return from my annual sojourn to Nick Harvey's back yard.

You may think I'm a dreamer; but I'm not the only one... I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one.