3 licence Windows 7

On The Rocks

My friend has now got Windows 7 on her laptop cos a friend had purchased a 3 licence copy and wasn't using one.

My friend is no relation and does not live with them. Is this allowed?

Seems wrong to me

-
Pete

On The Rocks wrote:My friend has now got Windows 7 on her laptop cos a friend had purchased a 3 licence copy and wasn't using one.

My friend is no relation and does not live with them. Is this allowed?

Seems wrong to me
If its a three licence copy then it can be used on three computers, otherwise its just a waste. Exactly what is the issue?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
On The Rocks

No issue I was concerned as it is called a Family pack the person had to be living there or family.

-
Neil Jones

On The Rocks wrote:No issue I was concerned as it is called a Family pack the person had to be living there or family.
-
Nowhere in the literature for this product does it have any clause that says "only for use by live-in relatives" or similar. Anyway I very much doubt Bill Gates is going to come round your house one day and, of all things, fire up every computer in the place to check you're not ripping him off.

The same argument applies for a family car. Does it mean I can't drive it because I don't have a partner and two kids? I hardly think William Ford's going to come round and decree I can't drive a Ford Focus without Mrs Jones and Neil Junior in the back.
Alexia

On The Rocks wrote:No issue I was concerned as it is called a Family pack the person had to be living there or family.
-
:shock:

Who's going to know? Seriously? For every kind hearted soul who gives away a free copy of W7 to a friend, there's umpteen dozen unscrupulous beggars selling their spare copies on eBay.
On The Rocks

I am not trying to be the moral police at all I was curious, plus saying it is available on eBay - two wrongs wouldn't make a right.

-
Jake

On The Rocks wrote:I am not trying to be the moral police at all I was curious, plus saying it is available on eBay - two wrongs wouldn't make a right.

-
It's probably against the terms of the licence, but it's been paid for so might as well be put to use.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Jake wrote:
On The Rocks wrote:I am not trying to be the moral police at all I was curious, plus saying it is available on eBay - two wrongs wouldn't make a right.

-
It's probably against the terms of the licence, but it's been paid for so might as well be put to use.
I honestly can't see why it would be against the terms of the licence anyway.

You purchase 3 licences, so you're free to use them as you see fit - which would include gifting them to another individual.

Microsoft's concern is that a single licence is copied - and if they detect it then they'll disable it. They're not concerned where you put a legitimate one.
Jake

Gavin Scott wrote:
Jake wrote:

-
I honestly can't see why it would be against the terms of the licence anyway.

You purchase 3 licences, so you're free to use them as you see fit - which would include gifting them to another individual.

Microsoft's concern is that a single licence is copied - and if they detect it then they'll disable it. They're not concerned where you put a legitimate one.
You're quite right, it's simply 3 licences in a box.
WillPS

Well... I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't be happy with me giving out the licenses I receive through MSDNAA...
lukey

But then the MSDNAA licenses are bizarre anyway - suggesting that software can't be used for commercial purposes, or thanks to some particularly vague language - using a server as a server. I get that the spirit of these licenses is so that developers can play with APIs etc. but I'd assume it's just a nice way to make sure students are groomed to stay within the MS ecosystem for as long as possible while there was no chance of them paying for VS, TFS and WinServer anyway.