Are celebs worried about public perception?

westy 2

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... ?t=1364098

Before anyone says, I know this refers to a DS thread, but has anyone ever thought whether if a celeb read the said thread, it would alter their opinions of how the general public percieve them, certainly the celebs who come across as complete gits?

I suppose if they really wanted to, they could get their 'people' to contact the DS people to get said comments removed, but would that 'improve' relations with the general public?

For example, how would 'Cilla Black' or her representives view the comments on said thread of her being a 'witch' ?

Would they try to take action against DS for allowing the comments, despite these being people's comments on how they've found her, irrespective of what time of day these people dealt with Cilla? (Cilla may have been otherwise engaged & not able to chat, thus making said member of general public think Cilla is horrible, but we only have that person's word for it.)

There are comments on that topic for & against certain celebs, so what is right? Who do we believe? Would the PR people care?

(Not in the same league, but ex Talk Sport presenter Jon Gaunt has been known to moan about various websites over comments posted)
Now powered by BT Broadband!
Dr Lobster*

i would probably say, it depends.

i think a few stories and comments on blogs is hardly going to worry them, but i think when the publicity becomes consistently negative, then i think it does.

just remembering jade goody and now katie price who were/are pretty unpopular with the general public. their behaviour became more desperate as the negative publicity continued and became more abrasive.
Gavin Scott
Admin

I read through some of that thread on DS - becoming more angry as I did. All those arseholes taking about meeting famous people (or better yet - second and third hand accounts of meeting famous people), and all concluding that said celebs are "rude" or "horrible" or worse. But I figured that most reasonable people would not leap to judgements in this pathetic way.

So, I come in to work this morning to be told tales by colleagues returning from London that they met a string of celebs last Thursday night - notably some of the Strictly Come Dancing cast.

And what do I hear? "Oh he's an arse" - "I tried to chat to him about football/rugby/dancing and he gave one word answers, and I was like, 'eh?'". "I was saying, 'come on.. come and get some food with us', and he was like, 'no thanks' - what a tosser, eh? And he's thick..".

Jesus wept.

They're everywhere.
Ben

Is it me or have most posters in that thread not actually met any of the celebs they're commenting on?
Chie

Gavin Scott wrote:Jesus wept.

They're everywhere.
Sometimes it's true. I accidentally met Bill Turnbull once and he actually was obnoxious.

But then 'be nice around everyone' isn't in their job description so why should they?

I've also met Jason Donovan, who was really charming, and Lady Di when she opened a local hospital. I can't remember a thing about it as I was only 7 months old, but I'm sure she was absolutely delightful.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Chie wrote:
Gavin Scott wrote:Jesus wept.

They're everywhere.
Sometimes it's true. I accidentally met Bill Turnbull once and he actually was obnoxious.

But then 'be nice around everyone' isn't in their job description so why should they?
Sometimes its true in that particular moment - but that doesn't mean its in any way an accurate picture, and yet folk in that thread (and to a lesser extent my colleague this morning) are positively falling over themselves to bad mouth people; like they've got some personal insight. Bill Turnbull might have seemed obnoxious to you at that moment, but that doesn't mean he is.

I've met plenty of famous types who weren't particularly in the mood to natter, but I wouldn't presume to have their entire personality worked out, nor would I take any pleasure in dropping names to badmouth. Its just grubby.

I was in a pub yesterday for a pal's birthday, and as I approached the bar I thought I had better apologise to the barman for the last time I was in a couple of weeks ago - I was a little pissed and was (from what I remember) loud and belligerent. I didn't think he would remember me to be honest - but he did. "You came in with a bad attitude and left with a worse one... but I appreciate the apology".

I suppose if I'd done a stint on Taggart or something then by now I'd be forever memorialised on the pages of Digital Shite as a pisshead who starts arguments. As it happens I've had a lot on my plate lately, and I thought a drink would help and it didn't. The same is potentially true for Messrs Turnbull, and Mr Gavin Henson (for it was he) the other night.

I reckon DS need a couple of lawsuits slapped on them for the things they allow to be posted on their site.
Square Eyes

Kind of related, but I see Stephen Fry has quit twitter, again.

Seemingly over this http://www.pressassociation.com/compone ... e_comments

Although why take it out on his 1.9m twitter followers ?

http://twitter.com/stephenfry
madmusician

On a similar topic, I have found some of today's speculation over which news presenters/reporters might work despite the strike to be a touch distasteful, especially on DS. This post in particular really shocked me:
I see that the money grabbing Naga Munchetty is strike breaking again.

She used to spend all week running Working Lunch into the ground and then reading the news at weekends.

Now we have the annoying c*** presenting paranormal programmes and crossing picket lines
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... stcount=81

I mean, that's terrible, isn't it. Whether or not the poster disliked the Working Lunch revamp, he seems to take issue that she worked six days a week. When challenged about his view, he produced the following.
I believe she is money grabbing, as, whilst doing Working Lunch, not content with a five day week show, she also did newsreading at the weekend. IMHO this is pure greed.

I think her snotty attitude along with that idiot Declan Curry were a major factor in the demise of Working Lunch.

I believe that anyone who crosses a picket line is guilty of strike breaking, regardless of if they are in a union or not.

However, part of me thinks that people should have freedom of choice eg if they don't agree with the strike.

BUT, if the people taking industrial action do win concessions from the BBC over their pensions, I believe the likes of Nage Munchetty should not benefit from the actions of others.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... tcount=166

There's so much wrong with that argument, it's unbelievable. And really, DS shouldn't let quotes like that appear on their website.