Windows 7 Activation failure

Gluben

I bought Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) on eBay from a respected seller with 100% approval rating over 250 products. I've had it running fine for a few days, but now a window pops up telling me I need to activate it (I'm using the 64-bit disc, by the way).

I typed in the product key, and it said "The product key you typed has been blocked from use by Microsoft". I tried the automated phone number to enter the installation ID, but still no luck. Talking to a Microsoft member of staff over the phone resulted in the same problems. This is definitely the right 25-digit product key and it is a genuine version of Windows, for when I try the "Validate Windows" option on their "Genuine" section of their website, it is successful. I am thus confused, with 26 days left to activate it.

Any advice? I would wait until Monday at 8.00am but I'd like to get it sorted as soon as possible.
Critique

First thing I'd do is contact the eBay seller. Chances are that he'll be a bit of a Techy person, and might be able to provide some help. If not, there are a bunch of Activation troubleshooters on the Microsoft website, which could also help. if no help from either, I presume you'll have to wait until Monday. :cry:
Alexia

In Microsoft Office 2003 there is a registry key you can delete to prevent the Genuine Advantage thing from popping up, as well as deleting either a *.dll or a *.exe in the Windows folder. May be worth exploring the net to find out if you can remedy it that way.

At the end of the day, if Microsoft want to police their software like this, they should get it f***ing right.
Gluben

I might have figured out why it's not working. I downloaded some software to check the product key, and it also displayed the product ID. However, in Control Panel, the product ID is different and doesn't match. So I guess I need to change the product ID, not the product key itself.
martindtanderson

It was brought from ebay, so it may have been activated on another machine, then uninstalled, and so a quick phone call to MS should set it right. I brought 2 copies of Windows 7 from retail and oem upgrade offer, and have had no problem activating.
sheilykidman

Its never a wise choice to buy tech-related stuff from Ebay. I also had bad experience once with my mobile phone. Try to go for authorized sellers.