Conservatives

martindtanderson

Chie wrote:Except all of that's totally irrelevant, because the National Citizens Service course would only take place during the 'school holidays' between leaving school and beginning further eduction / resits.
And if no-one volunteers, how long before the Tories decide to make it mandatory?

Chie wrote:Where does the person who wrote that live? I bet it's the south east.

To refer to the so-called "ASBO Generation" as a tiny minority is extremely offensive. I'd like better statistics, but as of 2008, 16.6% of 18-year-olds were not in employment, education or training. It would be interesting to see how the level differs on a regional basis.
16.6% not in employment, education, or training, and are all of that 16.6% criminals, or have ASBO's? That assumption I find offensive. And even with 16.6%, that leaves 83.4% who are not criminals. Which is the smaller number Chie, 16.6% or 83.4%...

I know you would love to believe the Sun and the Daily Mail who love to rubbish the country, demonize the youth, and only push the stories which are negative above the hundreds of good stories happening all over the UK.

Chie wrote:I can say from first-hand experience that the youth service is staffed by over-qualified pushovers who preoccupy themselves with how well their centre is performing in the internal league tables in the hope of getting promoted to a job in which they no longer have to work at the 'coal face'.
So you work with youth groups in every part of the UK do you? And what youth service are you refering to? The Youth Justice Board, Connexions, local council run schemes, play centres?
Mich

martindtanderson wrote: So only Big companies can offer services to communities, and profit is essential to good society????

What has the UK government got to do with jobs in India? And while we are at it, if it wasn't for Thatcherism, and the thirst for greed and profit, companies wouldn't need to hire cheap labour abroad in order to "Maximise Profit". The UK Government's duty is to its citizens, and the Minimum Wage (which the Tories voted AGAINST) has been one of the best ways to ensure employers don't exploit UK workers (as much as workers were exploited under Thatcher and other Tory administrations).
This is a crucial point that the typical left often misses (and I've love to know why) - profits are good. That's not a party political point, it's a comment about a market economy.

Profits are the very reason that the vast majority of businesses are in business; even charities - their aim is to maximise the surplus of income over expenditure so that it can be used on their cause. Conversely if a business can't cover it's costs they generally don't hang around for long.

They key point when talking about business and profits is to consider that they don't operate entirely on their own, they interact with a whole plethora of other individuals and organisations. In the vast majority of cases businesses will have competitors both for customers and employees (and resources too, but we'll leave that for now).

This competition is key, it stops exploitation of workers and exploitation of customers. That statement is quite bold, but most criticisms of it come back to a lack of true, fair competition.

If a business faces competition, it could exploit it's position in the short term but it will be punished in the future as customers leave to the competitor. Even in cases where there isn't an existing competitor, businesses will still avoid exploitation if there is a risk of a competitor entering the market. They may also sponsor community projects and cut their emissions - in good businesses they will be key ideas that run through - but essentially they are policies to attract customers and/employees with an aim of maximising profits.

The same scenario works for employment - wages are a function of several different factors (largely education, scarcity, productivity and the ability to monitor output). Why would somebody take job where they were being "exploited" if there was a better one next door? The key point then, is that businesses are competing for workers, even on a minimum wage businesses still want honest, hard working employees; they also want retain employees because it is much cheaper than recruiting someone new and training them. To attract and retain quality they need to offer different things, better wages, holidays, training, conditions, hours.

In both cases a business can't just make massive profits and exploit workers. They must be offering a product or service that the customer wants, and attracting employees more effectively than the competitors.

martindtanderson wrote: So if the company isn't making a profit, it is the duty of government to shut them down?!?! Even though they employed tens of thousands of people, and whole towns were supported and relied on these ports, and quarries, and mines, and factories. And let us look at Royal Mail and BA...

BA has a CEO who is determined to destroy the unions, just like the Tories wish to, and they would sacrifice staff and possibly safety in order to "maximize profits", when they have some of the more expensive ticket prices, and have in the past been involved in price fixing. Is this a shining example of good business?!

And the Royal Mail, who are forcing their workers to do more and more, and to carry heavier and heavier loads for the same pay, regardless of what the workers think. Adam Crozier was a tyrant, and a typical example of a Tory leaning boss.
It's absolutely not the business of the government to close things down that aren't making a profit - but that's the problem you have if the government are engaged in activities that they shouldn't be.

(Looking back) Is there a valid reason for a government to run an airline? Or own car manufacturer? Or a house-movers? Or a travel agents?

They key problem with nationalised industries is that they don't face competitive pressures from customers and (possibly) not from employees. They don't have the profit incentive, so have no internal drive to improve services or lower costs.

Looking briefly at unions - they hurt employees, time and time again. In a competitive economy (which airlines, and the delivery sectors are), why would cabin crew, or postal workers work for BA or the Royal Mail if they were such awful employers?

It is in the interest of Unions to protect the current employees but that doesn't help the labour market in general. Businesses should be able to flex over time - making redundancies and cut backs where necessary rather than being deadlocked by a union and losing yet more money.

My description above is quite difference from the way the two main parties engage with businesses - they are keen to win support and donations from big business, which can then shape the regulatory framework against this competition.

The Digital Economy Bill (constructed and poorly timetabled by Labour, and supported by the Conservatives) is a classic example of pandering to existing industries at the expense of developing a sensible framework for intellectual property which can (and is) resulting in a wealth of new businesses. Some people will lose out - why should musical artists be so well rewarded (often they aren't -the principal issue is public recognition that the internet is a massive positive for, the other is record companies which increasingly have less of a core purpose) for releasing recorded music? What's fair (much like wages) is often entirely arbitrary and based heavily around the status quo. Should blacksmiths have been protected from the nasty car industry?

IMHO the key economic policy for a Government should be setting the correct regulatory structure for business and allowing it to flourish. Something we've heard little about from either main party in the form of positive action.

On balance the Conservatives favour a smaller state and more private industry, although that doesn't mean to say that they've done enough to win my vote.
Chie

martindtanderson wrote:Are you stupid enough to believe that British Banks operate solely in the UK, with america, and the American Banks not involved?

And it is not outrageous to suggest that. The Tories voted against a financial stimulus, they voted against nationalising northern rock, and they voted against the rise in deficit to keep the banks open and kept the economy going. This is a matter of fact...
The shadow cabinet were against the VAT cut and quantitative easing. And there wasn't a HoC vote on any of these issues, IIRC. If you can prove otherwise then do feel free.
martindtanderson wrote:So only Big companies can offer services to communities, and profit is essential to good society????
No, I'm saying that big profit is a good sign of how many people a company employs and how much tax it pays.

Profit is essential, otherwise there wouldn't be any companies at all and we'd end up living in a communist state.
martindtanderson wrote:What has the UK government got to do with jobs in India? And while we are at it, if it wasn't for Thatcherism, and the thirst for greed and profit, companies wouldn't need to hire cheap labour abroad in order to "Maximise Profit".
It's cheaper to rent an assembly factory in China, pay a Chinese person less than £1 an hour to do the work, pay Chinese business related taxes and have the finished product shipped 8000 miles to the UK than it is to make the product in the UK in the first place. That's got nothing to do with Thatcher.
martindtanderson wrote:The UK Government's duty is to its citizens, and the Minimum Wage (which the Tories voted AGAINST) has been one of the best ways to ensure employers don't exploit UK workers (as much as workers were exploited under Thatcher and other Tory administrations).
The minimum wage is in need of reform.
martindtanderson wrote:Of all the parties, the Lib Dems have offered more detail on their plans at this early stage, but also because I believe that big companies and the rich, have a human, and financial duty to help the poorer people they employ, and to help those who can't help themselves.
Start taxing the crap out of business and 'the rich' and they'll up sticks and go somewhere else.

The more I read, the more I get the impression you'd be in favour of a communist state with closed borders where people who don't conform to your ideals are carted off to the Gulag and slowly starved to death.
martindtanderson wrote:It is in these times where people are crying out for industrial jobs in this country, that we now miss them. The Tories were so short sighted!
Manufacturing has declined at a faster rate under Labour than at any other time.

Under the 18-year Tory government, manufacturing declined from 27% to 20%.

Under the 13-year Labour government, manufacturing has declined from 20% to 12%.
martindtanderson wrote:Thanks to the Tories destroying manual labour jobs in this country, many more jobs require a degree as a minimum expectation.
Degrees are now so common they're becoming the new A levels, so employer expectation is a self-fulfilling prophecy based on how common degrees are, which, by the way, puts those who don't have A levels or degrees at a much bigger disadvantage than ever before. Nothing to do with the Tories destroying manual labour jobs.
martindtanderson wrote:Grayling expressed his odious opinion in a public meeting, it just happened to be recorded, and exposed. The fact that he expressed these views, is at odds with his possible future role as Home Secretary. It would be bad even if he wasn't on the Shadow front bench, but its worse because he could one day be in the position of having to protect these people. If you were gay, could you trust people who hold these views to protect you.
As a gay person yes, I would trust those people to protect me. I'm not just 'a gay'.
martindtanderson wrote:I suppose you think its ok for Police to keep their job if they made racist or other bigoted comments? Personal opinions show a state of mind for these politicians, and this state of mind will become evident in the decisions they make, and the policies they propose.
I do think it's ok for the police to keep their job if they make racist comments to their colleagues. The line is crossed when they racially abuse members of the public. That might happen, it might not. But you can't start preempting what people might do and potentially ruin their livelihood based on relatively harmless opinions and private banter.
Sput

Chie wrote:
martindtanderson wrote:The UK Government's duty is to its citizens, and the Minimum Wage (which the Tories voted AGAINST) has been one of the best ways to ensure employers don't exploit UK workers (as much as workers were exploited under Thatcher and other Tory administrations).
The minimum wage is in need of reform.
How do you reform the idea of "everyone should get paid at least this much to ensure a minimum standard of living" except by getting rid?
chie wrote:
martindtanderson wrote:Of all the parties, the Lib Dems have offered more detail on their plans at this early stage, but also because I believe that big companies and the rich, have a human, and financial duty to help the poorer people they employ, and to help those who can't help themselves.
The more I read, the more I get the impression you'd be in favour of a communist state with closed borders where people who don't conform to your ideals are carted off to the Gulag and slowly starved to death.
The more I read, the more I get the impression your full name is Chie Chieson-McCarthy, because that is a batshit insane extrapolation to make.
Knight knight
Chie

martindtanderson wrote:And if no-one volunteers, how long before the Tories decide to make it mandatory?
What harm would it do?
martindtanderson wrote:16.6% not in employment, education, or training, and are all of that 16.6% criminals, or have ASBO's? That assumption I find offensive. And even with 16.6%, that leaves 83.4% who are not criminals. Which is the smaller number Chie, 16.6% or 83.4%...
I'm not the one who said ASBO Generation. I happen to know the National Citizen Service isn't aimed just at criminals or people who have ASBOs. That's an assumption whoever wrote the message made, not me. I used the expression to explain what they should have been referring to.
martindtanderson wrote:I know you would love to believe the Sun and the Daily Mail who love to rubbish the country, demonize the youth, and only push the stories which are negative above the hundreds of good stories happening all over the UK.
Are you making an assumption that I read that Sun and the Daily Mail, Martin? Is that what you are doing?

More hypocrisy.
martindtanderson wrote:So you work with youth groups in every part of the UK do you? And what youth service are you refering to? The Youth Justice Board, Connexions, local council run schemes, play centres?
Okay. Local council run schemes are staffed by people who are too academic. Something a bit more practical is needed.
Chie

Sput wrote:How do you reform the idea of "everyone should get paid at least this much to ensure a minimum standard of living" except by getting rid?
By freezing the minimum wage for a few years and then increasing the wage inline with inflation, not way above it.
Sput wrote:The more I read, the more I get the impression your full name is Chie Chieson-McCarthy, because that is a batshit insane extrapolation to make.
Well I don't think it is.
martindtanderson

Chie wrote:The shadow cabinet were against the VAT cut and quantitative easing. And there wasn't a HoC vote on any of these issues, IIRC. If you can prove otherwise then do feel free.
They were against it, meaning they would have chosen not to do these things. Its the same difference as saying they have or would have voted against it.

Chie wrote:No, I'm saying that big profit is a good sign of how many people a company employs and how much tax it pays.

Profit is essential, otherwise there wouldn't be any companies at all and we'd end up living in a communist state.
Profit is essential, I agree, it is the steps a company will go to to maximize profit over the considerations of the local community and its workforce that make me feel uncomfortable. Profit is essential, it is also not the only concern a decent company should have.

Chie wrote:It's cheaper to rent an assembly factory in China, pay a Chinese person less than £1 an hour to do the work, pay Chinese business related taxes and have the finished product shipped 8000 miles to the UK than it is to make the product in the UK in the first place. That's got nothing to do with Thatcher.
And if it wasn't for the Thatcher 80's putting business in a mindset where Profit is the only concern, and more profit equals a better business, perhaps we would have big business who care about the quality of their workforce's lives, as well as the communities around their companies, in balance with profit. And companies may think, we could do this cheaper, but our workers would suffer, so we wont!

Chie wrote:The minimum wage is in need of reform.
Is it heck! The minimum wage is essential, in order to maintain the living wages of lower paid workers, then again, not exactly a Tory's best friend are they...

Chie wrote:Start taxing the crap out of business and 'the rich' and they'll up sticks and go somewhere else.

Ok so I think big business should pay more, so I advocate murder. You are a fool to believe this...

Chie wrote:Manufacturing has declined at a faster rate under Labour than at any other time.

Under the 18-year Tory government, manufacturing declined from 27% to 20%.

Under the 13-year Labour government, manufacturing has declined from 20% to 12%.
When a boulder is pushed down a hill, its very difficult to stop it rolling faster and faster. The Tories destruction of these industries, has meant other countries are doing it and doing it cheaper. Labour have had to do damage control.

Chie wrote:Degrees are now so common they're becoming the new A levels, so employer expectation is a self-fulfilling prophecy based on how common degrees are, which, by the way, puts those who don't have A levels or degrees at a much bigger disadvantage than ever before. Nothing to do with the Tories destroying manual labour jobs.
My complaint is now that degrees are becoming almost mandatory, if anyone wants a job, they have to pay for their education. Also there is a significant number of people who are just not academically capable of earning a degree, what do they have to look forward to in the future? If we had a manufacturing industry, they would have possible employment, and we wouldn't need as many migrants to do these jobs.

Chie wrote:As a gay person yes, I would trust those people to protect me. I'm not just 'a gay'.
So being gay, you would trust a homophobe as Home Secretary in charge of the police...

And if you were black, would you trust a racist as Home Secretary...

Its not just a matter of being gay, and the issues gay people have, its about being gay, and everyday issues. You cant split one from another.

Chie wrote:I do think it's ok for the police to keep their job if they make racist comments to their colleagues. The line is crossed when they racially abuse members of the public. That might happen, it might not. But you can't start preempting what people might do and potentially ruin their livelihood based on relatively harmless opinions and private banter.
Then I guess you really can't be reasoned with Chie. You think that what someone thinks and feels in their Heart, can never get in the way of the work they do, and the priorities they have. I know I can't always separate what I think, and what I feel. I guess you believe the Police are almost robotic in how they operate. Then again the Tories never have cared about real people...
martindtanderson

Chie wrote:What harm would it do?
The government forcing young people into some faux army training, no that's a decent thing to do to people... Lets up the age so you are included, and force you into this scheme, how would you feel about that. Can you not empathise with people different from you??!? I guess you wouldn't be so pro Tory if you could...

Chie wrote:I'm not the one who said ASBO Generation. I happen to know the National Citizen Service isn't aimed just at criminals or people who have ASBOs. That's an assumption whoever wrote the message made, not me. I used the expression to explain what they should have been referring to.
You said it was obscene to say the 'ASBO Generation' was a tiny minority, and stated the 16.6% figure. So I ask you again, are all that 16.6% criminals, and which is tinier, 16.6% or 83.4%

Chie wrote:Are you making an assumption that I read that Sun and the Daily Mail, Martin? Is that what you are doing?

More hypocrisy.
I was making the point, that those two papers have always been Pro Tory, not that you read them.

Chie wrote:Okay. Local council run schemes are staffed by people who are too academic. Something a bit more practical is needed.
Define practical...
martindtanderson

Chie wrote:
Sput wrote:How do you reform the idea of "everyone should get paid at least this much to ensure a minimum standard of living" except by getting rid?

By freezing the minimum wage for a few years and then increasing the wage inline with inflation, not way above it.
Having the wages above inflation, is to ensure that economic inbalance can not leave people out of pocket. And undoing the damage of pay under the 18 years of a Tory administration...
Chie wrote:
Sput wrote:The more I read, the more I get the impression your full name is Chie Chieson-McCarthy, because that is a batshit insane extrapolation to make.
Well I don't think it is.
I have rebutted your comments Chie without personal insults, please try not to stoop to them again. Sput I see where you are coming from, but insults for insults get us nowhere.
Chie

martindtanderson wrote:And if it wasn't for the Thatcher 80's putting business in a mindset where Profit is the only concern, and more profit equals a better business, perhaps we would have big business who care about the quality of their workforce's lives, as well as the communities around their companies, in balance with profit. And companies may think, we could do this cheaper, but our workers would suffer, so we wont!
There's a link in the chain that you've forgotten all about the consumer.

Example:

Company A has a crisis of conscience and thinks 'we could do this cheaper, but our workers may suffer, so we won't'.

Company B does it cheaper anyway.

Consumers stop buying from Company A and switch to Company B because the products are cheaper in comparison. Company A goes bust and all the workers are made redundant.
martindtanderson wrote:My complaint is now that degrees are becoming almost mandatory, if anyone wants a job, they have to pay for their education. Also there is a significant number of people who are just not academically capable of earning a degree, what do they have to look forward to in the future? If we had a manufacturing industry, they would have possible employment, and we wouldn't need as many migrants to do these jobs.
Degrees will become almost mandatory (they haven't yet, really) because almost everyone will have one. Like I said, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
iSon

martindtanderson wrote:
Chie wrote:Are you making an assumption that I read that Sun and the Daily Mail, Martin? Is that what you are doing?

More hypocrisy.
I was making the point, that those two papers have always been Pro Tory, not that you read them.
Not wishing to be picky but The Sun has only recently (publically) switched its allegiance to the Conservatives after "supporting" Labour for 13 years since the 1997 general election. But that's more to do with Rupert Murdoch not wishing to back a loser more than anything.
Good Lord!