Yet another Morrisons thread

Alexia

wells wrote:That's very nice branding, although I'm not sure I'm massive fan of supermarket using the colour green, it only seems to work in Waitrose for me.
Seems to have worked fine for Asda too.
wells

You missed for me. I wasn't trying to say no supermarket using those colours, does well. Waitrose (as you'd expect) branding looks and feels classy, Asdas less so.
Pete

OH MY GOD. That Safeway must be a metro megaouting for anyone visiting. It's on par with the Gibraltar Morrisons
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Tell me about it! I don't think there's much 'Safeway' left about it though in honesty - looks like a rebadged Checkers supermarket.

Any update on the Gibraltar Morrisons? Has it been brought in to the line with the rest of their supermarkets?

Further to my point that Morrisons is managed by idiots: just a few years after they disposed of the smaller 'Safeway compact' stores on the grounds that they're too small, they buy a load of ex-Co-op and Somerfield stores of a similar size. Go figure! That along with my previous point about forking out (probably) millions to rebrand a set of stores only to then rebrand the whole chain a couple of years later...
Alexia

wells wrote:You missed for me. I wasn't trying to say no supermarket using those colours, does well. Waitrose (as you'd expect) branding looks and feels classy, Asdas less so.
Oops yes, apologies.

Am I right in thinking that the old Asda logo used to be a paler green / bluey with blue and red triangles in the gaps of the As?
all new Phil

WillPS wrote:Any update on the Gibraltar Morrisons? Has it been brought in to the line with the rest of their supermarkets?
Yup!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapdragon ... 114597753/

Is it so wrong that I want to go to Gibraltar just to visit it?
Sput

Yes. Yes it is.
Knight knight
WillPS

Alexia wrote:
wells wrote:You missed for me. I wasn't trying to say no supermarket using those colours, does well. Waitrose (as you'd expect) branding looks and feels classy, Asdas less so.
Oops yes, apologies.

Am I right in thinking that the old Asda logo used to be a paler green / bluey with blue and red triangles in the gaps of the As?
Yes, that was the first version of the modern ASDA logo, replacing the one with the stylised A (rather like the modern Adio logo). The colours were removed in the mid-90s:

It was flattened and given a brighter shade so as to work better alongside the Wal*Mart logo - something I notice they seem to have stopped doing??
Alexia

Looks like there was another one before that.

Last edited by Pete on Wed 23 Mar, 2011 02.29, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Sorted broken image link
nwtv2003

Alexia wrote:Looks like there was another one before that.

We had a Sainsburys that used to look VERY similar to that Asda, although it isn't like that now as they rebuilt the front of it.
steve
WillPS

That's the original logo, without the fancy A - I think!