Why did Radio 5 Live never move to FM?

The forum discussing radio
Laura-1

For a while I've been listening to Dotun Adebayo's show on Radio 5 Live, it would be nice to be able to listen in while at work but the Hi-Fi there only has FM.

It may be a rather silly question to ask but why did Radio 5 Live never move to FM?
GhostFromTVF

If you want to listen to his show on FM, put on your BBC Local Radio station as they all take 5 Live at that time.
Laura-1

GhostFromTVF wrote: Sat 10 Jul, 2021 22.29 If you want to listen to his show on FM, put on your BBC Local Radio station as they all take 5 Live at that time.
Tried that last night and you're absolutely right, thank you :-)
BBI45

I do wonder if/when the radio digital switchover happens, if we'll see the current AM stations (Absolute Radio, BBC Radio 5 Live, Gold, Smooth, TalkSport, etc.) move to FM.
fluffy bunny feet

Laura-1 wrote: Sat 10 Jul, 2021 22.25 For a while I've been listening to Dotun Adebayo's show on Radio 5 Live, it would be nice to be able to listen in while at work but the Hi-Fi there only has FM.

It may be a rather silly question to ask but why did Radio 5 Live never move to FM?
I'm guessing because it's a news and sport station they felt AM was the least expensive and best for the job. It has a much better reach.
Apart from the music beds there's not much stereo offers. Having said that my last 2 cars have DAB and I listen to it there whilst on my commute. Because of where I live FM is hopeless - I'd have to re-tune 3 times on an 18 mile journey on FM, whereas with AM and DAB, that's not needed.