BBC Radio 1 Relax

The forum discussing radio
JoshX

Spotted from James Mobbs on Twitter:

Currently labelled as BBC Radio Service E but the schedule page is saying it will be calledBBC Radio 1 Relax, currently playing ambient noise.

Schedules for yesterday showing "Test six hours", which is a clip of an old bulletin from another station. No schedules beyond yesterday or today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p096nzrb
rob

Launches at 5pm today:

Christ, that logo is terrible.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
JoshX

24/7 Frankie Goes to Hollywood? I'm for it.
GhostFromTVF

Hopefully Mike Read will host breakfast.
Philip

Wonder if this was planned for a while, or was there a good response to the mostly instrumental selections on the day of Prince Philip's death.
PATV Scunthorpe

The special of Annie's Powerdown Playlist is for Earth Day, so I imagine they planned an Earth Day launch for Radio 1 Relax as well.
AlfieMulcahy

I think that these sounds only stations should have a different brand and separate section on the app they're clogging up the main carousel.

The other option would be to allow users to customise the top carousel.
scottishtv

Quite like it so far, but would've been appreciated a few months before now..! I liked the music on the Decompression Session but found the presenter/wellness therapist (or whatever) a bit too patronising. I'm maybe a bit old for it.

I do think this is a welcome addition to replay archive content, but I've also noticed that The Wind Down is on here as well as R1 Dance as well as the main station (when it simulcasts R1 Dance). Hope they aren't spreading the content too thin.
AlfieMulcahy wrote: Thu 22 Apr, 2021 20.31 I think that these sounds only stations should have a different brand and separate section on the app they're clogging up the main carousel.
I do think it's a shame 1Xtra has been shunted over two places since Dance and Relax have launched. It is of course a proper station with live presenters so deserved to be next to the main station, imho.
Joe

But to be fair, putting them in a different section or pushing them to the end won't help them attract listeners. Given it's early days, I think it's sensible to place them where they are. I think I'm right in saying that Sounds remembers what you were listening to last – so if you were on Radio 4 it'll keep that ready for you.
Alan de Robson

Well I've had this on at work for the last 2 days and I love it.

A true "I'd pay the entire licence fee" moment for me.

And the lead female presenter has the most beautiful lilting Welsh accent I've ever heard. And I love the Welsh accent anyway.
all new Phil

I think it’s genius. I’ve always thought that Radio 1 can be far too narrow in its reach, a bit too cool or laddish sometimes and not really appealing to all younger people. This goes a good way to redress that.