The forum discussing radio

Do you still listen to AM Radio?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 32
GhostFromTVF

I’m interested to know how many people still listen to AM Radio, so it would be cool if you gave an answer!

For me, I don’t listen to it anymore.
Nick Harvey
God

I still use 198 long wave for the cricket, though increasingly using DAB as well nowadays.
Pete

One of the things that makes me feel super old, was my dad's car when I was young didn't have FM. Therefore when Radio 1 moved off MW, we had to listen to Atlantic 252 on LW as the only source of pop music.

I remember being excited when I was in my aunt's (newer) car as she had FM and therefore I could listen to Metro FM.

My current car is an all DAB affair. I used to have a single FM station but after they ruined that it got replaced with one of Heart's glorified playlist channels.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Op4b+

I still do.
Martin Phillp

There's simply too much interference from other devices for AM to work at my place.

I can remember having to put the radio to the window of the bus to listen to AM stations, but as soon as I got DAB, that stopped overnight.

To be fair, I've also largely dropped DAB for online streaming. I'm lucky enough to be on a data plan that gives me enough data to use for streaming radio stations from across the world. Why listen to Greatest Hits when I can listen to a station in Memphis playing classic hits while out and about?
TVF's London Lite.
fluffy bunny feet

Martin Phillp wrote: Sun 18 Apr, 2021 19.32 There's simply too much interference from other devices for AM to work at my place.

I can remember having to put the radio to the window of the bus to listen to AM stations, but as soon as I got DAB, that stopped overnight.

To be fair, I've also largely dropped DAB for online streaming. I'm lucky enough to be on a data plan that gives me enough data to use for streaming radio stations from across the world. Why listen to Greatest Hits when I can listen to a station in Memphis playing classic hits while out and about?
Try Radio Paradise from California - great station IMHO with very good website for song info links etc.
have you tried the 'Radio Garden' global website? That's fun too.
BBC TV Centre

I still isten to 5 live on 909 AM, for what it's worth I rarely tune in (only for large football matches like Euros or breaking news) I'm happy to live with the telephone quality audio. Does the job, and content is king when it comes to speech radio.

it's just not worth the hassle of ripping out and replacing the radio in my old car. I use FM or CDs for listening mainly.

Used to have an AM/LW/SW radio as a kid and listened to Atlantic (or some random foreign station) under the covers at night.
AndrewPSSP

I still regularly listen to Radio 4 on LW. I tune in to BBC World Service English and the BBC Burmese Service on SW whenever I can. The frequencies changed relatively recently for the winter which has improved reception for me.
There's something about the way voice sounds on AM which sounds somewhat nicer to me, than the clarity of FM/DAB/on-line.
It does annoy me, though, that Radio 4 MW is about 0.4s behind both LW and FM, although that's to do with how the transmitters receive the feed.

PS
If any BBC bosses are reading, please broadcast the IPL on Radio 4 LW as well!