Amol Rajan joins Today

The forum discussing radio
Jamesypoo

I see Amol Rajan is joining the Today programme on Radio 4. I’m not hugely surprised he’s moving on from his media editor role - there haven’t been many other BBC news editors who’ve regularly covered on the Radio 2 breakfast show and The One Show.

I’m not too sure why I’m posting this other than to say I think it’s a good appointment and he’s a natural broadcaster and to try and bring a bit of life to birdsong. And I’ve done that now. So there.
Ash101

It's an interesting move for Amol.

Like you say, he's covered stuff like Zoe Ball's Breakfast Show & The One Show - so I kind of expected to see him settle into more 'pop' presenting roles within the BBC than go down the journalist route with Radio 4. But it just proves how versatile he is, because in some days he'd gone from covering Jeremy Vine on R2, to the One Show to having a report in the Ten.

Does open up some interesting movement for Radio 2, because he was the most regular Breakfast cover she'd had over the last 18 months? Although she seemingly has so much time off that I believe Alan Carr, Dermot O'Leary, Ryan Clark-Neal & others have also done at leats a week. I much preferred the cleaner way Sara Cox always covered for Chris Evans.