Metro/TFM

The forum discussing radio
thegeek

I hadn't noticed that the City 3 stations went away - the websites seem to be just competition entry pages now.
Jonny

Historic evening - the last edition of Alan Robson's Nightowls is currently going out and it really does feel like a final goodbye to the history and soul of Metro and local radio broadcasting in the North East in general.

He's also just let slip that "the Metro name may not be around much longer". Hardly surprising but there we are.
Pete

Jonny wrote: Thu 27 Jun, 2019 23.41He's also just let slip that "the Metro name may not be around much longer". Hardly surprising but there we are.
Sigh. Hello Hits North East or something equally bland.

I'm presuming this is Alan's choice to leave? Don't think even Bauer would be brave enough to push him out the door.

"He has to be larger than bacon"
Jonny

Pete wrote: Fri 28 Jun, 2019 05.54
Jonny wrote: Thu 27 Jun, 2019 23.41He's also just let slip that "the Metro name may not be around much longer". Hardly surprising but there we are.
Sigh. Hello Hits North East or something equally bland.

I'm presuming this is Alan's choice to leave? Don't think even Bauer would be brave enough to push him out the door.
It all happened suddenly. A social media post 2 weeks ago and wrapped up yesterday. Production team deserve huge credit for the marathon 7 hour final broadcast, with lots of geeky and gleeful references to the station's history. Whatever is left of Metro was taking great pains to say goodbye while it still had the chance.

I don't get the impression it's on Robson's terms - I thought they'd have to demolish the studio with him inside it too.

My guess is it's been decreed from above, following Global's recent moves and the rebranding of Key 103 - the inevitable destination is being hurtled towards at increasing speed. Hurray for total synergy and soul-crushing blandness.

They confirmed a new weekly Sunday Nightowls for GHR as some sort of sop. Apparently GHR Liverpool opts out during that slot too?

As an aside, the increasingly vulnerable looking studio in the centre of Newcastle still has its "Metro 2/3 Radio" signage. There's surely an interesting story to be told about the ill-conceived "City 2 & 3" branding that replaced Magic AM?

In Metro's case, it launched as "Metro Radio 2/3", before abruptly switching to "Metro 2/3 Radio". Then a total volte-face to Hits and eventually GHR. An utterly bizarre mess that presumably only accelerated the impending demise of the heritage brands, somewhat ironically.
Little Plum got one last play as the classic 10pm intro music, it was glorious.
all new Phil

Recently noticed Greatest Hits has appeared on FM where I am (after years on AM). No idea what it has replaced but even their website doesn’t seem to advertise this.
Martin Phillp

all new Phil wrote: Fri 28 Jun, 2019 21.42 Recently noticed Greatest Hits has appeared on FM where I am (after years on AM). No idea what it has replaced but even their website doesn’t seem to advertise this.
Assuming you're in the Midlands, it replaced Absolute Radio earlier this year.
TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil

Nope, North West. Maybe it’s picking it up from there though.
Pete

"He has to be larger than bacon"
Jonny

Indeed, back on air Sundays only with Little Plum as the opening theme, sounding great. Freudian slip at the start referring to "Great North Radio", which (a quick Google later shows) was one of the many former names of the AM station in the North East prior to Magic/GHR.

As far as Metro is concerned, I guess Bauer win even if ratings drop during the old slot as they can reduce staffing hours of the studio during the week, dramatically so when breakfast is the only remaining local show. How long that studio building is viable with such a reduced operation is the next question.

A lot of flack from social media commenters has been directed at "Metro" for dropping the show (as if the local brand has any independent agency in such decisions). So a clever PR move letting the heritage brand absorb the negativity before the inevitable rebrand to Hits, which will now be less contested as, shows-wise, the switch will be unnoticeable.

At this point, the heritage brands just seem to be going through the same drawn-out motions of the GMG North regions of the late 90s, alive in pre-recorded name only so what's the point?