News Corp buy The Wireless Group (formerly UTV Media)

The forum discussing radio
Martin Phillp

From cityprod's show page on Radio Local.
I do all this on the show, with a smile. I also update the weather and travel, and look at what's happening in the Falmouth and Penryn area, as well as my own jovial wit and banter.
Does 007 count as jovial wit?
TVF's London Lite.
cityprod

bilky asko wrote:Ian Beaumont Live and Direct

Home to the 3 and a half minute travel bulletin for a population of approximately 33,500.

Special treat in the latest edition: the mangling of the Spanish language in the pronunciation of Sonido Urbano.
So? Are you saying you've never tripped over your own tongue speaking? I find that hard to believe.

If you don't care for the show, that's fine. You don't have to listen, you can go somewhere else and find a show you enjoy more.
cityprod

Martin Phillp wrote:From cityprod's show page on Radio Local.
I do all this on the show, with a smile. I also update the weather and travel, and look at what's happening in the Falmouth and Penryn area, as well as my own jovial wit and banter.
Does 007 count as jovial wit?
Does a cracked record not get binned?
Pete

Could someone explain this to me please because I obviously didn't notice when it happened

I mean cityprod in general and why people are always sniping?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
cityprod

It's quite simple really. I do things differently and actually believe that by being different, you can get things done in a better way than the standard way of doing things these days, which is often decided by the fact that its the cheapest way to get it done, not necessarily the best.

But because I live that way, it brings me into conflict with the likes of Martin and Bilky, who often know what to think and do, but not always how to think about things and make your own decisions about things. Just accepting the way it is and not questioning things is one way to live and a perfectly reasonable one. It's just not the way I want to live. But apparently, some people don't seem to accept that others can choose to be different, and they try to interpret it in a way that they can handle. So, I get called autistic or crazy or something else. I get mocked because I choose the road less travelled by.

Nothing wrong with following the crowd, just not something that I find appealing.
bilky asko

cityprod wrote:

Home to the 3 and a half minute travel bulletin for a population of approximately 33,500.

Special treat in the latest edition: the mangling of the Spanish language in the pronunciation of Sonido Urbano.
So? Are you saying you've never tripped over your own tongue speaking? I find that hard to believe.

If you don't care for the show, that's fine. You don't have to listen, you can go somewhere else and find a show you enjoy more.
There's a difference between misspeaking and not bothering to check the pronunciation of a group you were featuring on your show. The former is normal, the latter is unprofessional and smacks of amateurism.

EDIT:
cityprod wrote:But because I live that way, it brings me into conflict with the likes of Martin and Bilky, who often know what to think and do, but not always how to think about things and make your own decisions about things. Just accepting the way it is and not questioning things is one way to live and a perfectly reasonable one. It's just not the way I want to live. But apparently, some people don't seem to accept that others can choose to be different, and they try to interpret it in a way that they can handle. So, I get called autistic or crazy or something else. I get mocked because I choose the road less travelled by.
This is the sort of post I don't appreciate, the generalisations made about people. When someone disagrees with him, apparently that means that they are not a free thinker if they happen to agree with mainstream consensus or opinion (or what he perceives to be the case). Then the over-dramatised personal attacks and comparisons to US right-wing radio hosts begin.

I am the first to admit that I don't leave comments be, if only because it makes it look like that people are giving his posts some level of credence. The problem is that he has an inability to concede a point in the face of evidence, in classic David Icke style.

The reason his radio show is pointed out is because of how he constantly argues with actual radio professionals, and states that his abysmal programme on Source FM is in some way good and how "radio should be done". If you haven't listened to it, please do. It will give you a great insight into the level of blind arrogance he has about his knowledge and abilities.
cityprod

bilky asko wrote:
cityprod wrote:

There's a difference between misspeaking and not bothering to check the pronunciation of a group you were featuring on your show. The former is normal, the latter is unprofessional and smacks of amateurism.
Okay, you are talking complete nonsense here. One, not only did I check how to pronounce the name, but two, I said it pretty much correctly, for someone who had never learned Spanish or Portuguese, and the word Sonido actually appears in both languages. Also, if somebody's pronouncing a foreign name in a different language for the first few times, they are usually given a small amount of leeway. Apparently, you don't give me any leeway though.
cityprod wrote:But because I live that way, it brings me into conflict with the likes of Martin and Bilky, who often know what to think and do, but not always how to think about things and make your own decisions about things. Just accepting the way it is and not questioning things is one way to live and a perfectly reasonable one. It's just not the way I want to live. But apparently, some people don't seem to accept that others can choose to be different, and they try to interpret it in a way that they can handle. So, I get called autistic or crazy or something else. I get mocked because I choose the road less travelled by.
This is the sort of post I don't appreciate, the generalisations made about people. When someone disagrees with him, apparently that means that they are not a free thinker if they happen to agree with mainstream consensus or opinion (or what he perceives to be the case). Then the over-dramatised personal attacks and comparisons to US right-wing radio hosts begin.
Well, this is how you and so many others come across to me. People spout things that are easily disproved, they get called on it, they try to rebut the calling out, with evidence that does not stand up, and has been spread from some dubious media source, usually the Daily Mail or some other paper of that ilk, and then they don't like it when they get rightfully compared to the right wing muck spreaders that tend to populate talk radio, with most of the worst examples being from the US. "Over-dramatised personal attacks"? You have a weird idea of what a personal attack is, because being called out factually for things people have said has suddenly become a personal attack, yet apparently it's not a personal attack to harass and cyberbully someone and call them names behind their back? Projecting much?
I am the first to admit that I don't leave comments be, if only because it makes it look like that people are giving his posts some level of credence. The problem is that he has an inability to concede a point in the face of evidence, in classic David Icke style.
Depends on the strength of the evidence, and since most 'evidence' that gets presented is at best, circumstantial and at worst completely irrelevant, most of it gets the short shrift it deserves.
The reason his radio show is pointed out is because of how he constantly argues with actual radio professionals, and states that his abysmal programme on Source FM is in some way good and how "radio should be done". If you haven't listened to it, please do. It will give you a great insight into the level of blind arrogance he has about his knowledge and abilities.
I have had discussions with other radio professionals, and have found a culture of people that believes only they have the knowledge and their way is the one 'twue' way of doing radio, and frankly with the likes of Spotify and people's own iPods being able to provide better music mixes than any radio station ever could, commercial radio's blind devotion to non-stop music mixes is frankly baffling, where they should be focussing more on providing interesting content rather than just non-stop music. So in my radio show, I try to make sure there's the content that I think the listener needs to have and wants to hear, not just the usual non-stop music and irrelevant celeb gossip. If commercial radio is to survive, it needs to move away from non-stop music, and updates that barely scratch the surface, I seriously believe that.

Now, if you believe that my vision is wrong, you're free to believe that, but I have yet to meet anyone in the industry who I believe has any real clue about how to handle the likes of Spotify and Pandora, and iPods and podcasts. I have yet to talk to anyone who really understands where commercial radio's future lies and it's not in non-stop music. But that's an honest opinion formed from the discussions I've had. Now, if you think my view of interesting content is wrong, well, you're welcome to think that.

But giving radio professionals respect just because they are radio professionals, is misplaced. The people in the industry that I do respect, are the ones who actually listen and actually work hard on producing solid content, or have solid foundations for their advice. Those who just think they should be respected because they are or have been a radio professional don't earn it in my book.
bilky asko

cityprod wrote:
bilky asko wrote:
cityprod wrote:

Okay, you are talking complete nonsense here. One, not only did I check how to pronounce the name, but two, I said it pretty much correctly, for someone who had never learned Spanish or Portuguese, and the word Sonido actually appears in both languages. Also, if somebody's pronouncing a foreign name in a different language for the first few times, they are usually given a small amount of leeway. Apparently, you don't give me any leeway though.
You didn't say it pretty much correctly. I can speak Spanish (having learnt it for 7 years) and I couldn't understand what you'd said (more than once). Someone who doesn't speak it would have even more trouble understanding you.

But please, I would love to see an example of me calling you names behind your back. I am happy to tell you what I think of you directly and would happily do so to your face. Everything I have ever said about you has been stated publicly in one way or another.
Martin Phillp

Considering Cityprod has been banned from Media.info, despite a super fan who misses his opinions and that of Art Grainger, has had numerous arguments on TVF and the other forum mentioned, this forum has become the last place where he can discuss radio in his own slanted way.
TVF's London Lite.
cityprod

Bilky, you could have claimed you were born in Spain, it would make no difference. To me, you are nothing other than a bad troll, who has been found out. Your words now are meaningless, and you are not believed in any way shape or form. You just come across as a sad little boy who can't accept that somebody can have a different opinion to you, and in that way, I feel very sad that you are the way you are, it feels like a very unhealthy place to be.

Martin, you're no better. You think my views are slanted? I'd love to see how you feel about what Rush Limbaugh just said about Anthony Weiner's soon to be ex-wife, and how slanted you feel those views are. Or how slanted you feel about the latest conspiracy theories from Alex Jones Infowars. You're become that same sad little boy that just can't accept that there is more than one perspective, more than one answer to any idea or problem. And that makes me sad too, that it's become so easy to get into that unhealthy state of mind, and for it to be a preferable place to any other.

Still, I guess that is life these days.
bilky asko

cityprod wrote:Bilky, you could have claimed you were born in Spain, it would make no difference. To me, you are nothing other than a bad troll, who has been found out. Your words now are meaningless, and you are not believed in any way shape or form. You just come across as a sad little boy who can't accept that somebody can have a different opinion to you, and in that way, I feel very sad that you are the way you are, it feels like a very unhealthy place to be.
I claim it because I have the qualifications to prove it.