Moyles for XFM?

The forum discussing radio
Philip

The Sun ran with the story today (followed up by the Independent, the Mirror, the Telegraph and more), saying a deal was signed on Wednesday last week – which coincides with RadioWise reporting mid week that Vernon Kay is also joining XFM for mid-mornings.

We don’t usually run with rumours here at RadioToday – but this one is gaining some credibility – and together with news from our sources we’re happy to report on it.

Global doesn’t comment on rumours but we’re expecting an announcement sooner rather than later. And if he is joining commercial radio – this Wednesday at the Arqiva Commercial Radio Awards would be a great place for him to say hi to everyone.

We’re also putting together the pieces – Moyles spotted at Global – the XFM studios in Leicester Square getting a makeover under lock and key – and Jon Holmes making on-air jokes about being out of work soon – Dominic Byrne back at Global – together with Global’s own statement last year which said they will be launching more national brands on DAB this year.

Which would also make sense if Global is transforming XFM into a more mainstream listen by splashing the cash on big names, they’d naturally want it to be available nationally. There’s even talk of a new name for the stations in London, Manchester and Paisley – plus another high profile signing for drivetime.
http://radiotoday.co.uk/2015/07/reports ... breakfast/

Also of interest, this tweet from current XFM breakfast host Jon Holmes: https://twitter.com/jonholmes1/status/6 ... 2137378816

Will XFM Manchester continue as a separate entity?
WillPS

Simultaneously renaming the existing XFM then launching a new station called XFM would be mighty confusing.

I don't really look forward to Moyles coming back if I'm honest, although perhaps if he has allowed his ego to deflate since leaving Radio 1 maybe he'll be alright again. Vernon Kay I couldn't care less about. It's a shame Josh Widdicombe isn't being/cant be roped in to a daily slot, his programme is definitely the best XFM have on offer, tucked away there on Sunday mornings.
Martin Phillp

Philip wrote:
Will XFM Manchester continue as a separate entity?
Yes, they and Xfm Scotland have to provide 7 hours of local programming on weekdays, of which three hours must include the breakfast show.
TVF's London Lite.
Philip

Looks like something is happening. Press release tomorrow maybe?

Finn

Philip wrote:Looks like something is happening. Press release tomorrow maybe?

I hope he's checked his licencing arrangements - it's a bit dubious using over a minute of music from BBC Doctor Who...

See also these tweets:
https://twitter.com/ChrisMoyles/status/ ... 0751499264
https://twitter.com/domisatwit/status/6 ... 3138105344
nwtv2003

Radio X, yuck. Chris Moyles, Vernon Kay and Johnny Vaughan.... f*ck no!

Anyway it appears Manchester and London are both losing their locality for one national service. Needless to say the news hasn't gone down too well on XFM Manchester, although the new station doesn't begin until 21 September, the breakfast and drive time shows end on the 11th.

Needless to say I can't stand Moyles, I have listened to XFM for years, I won't be from the 21st...
steve
thegeek

not just that, but Xfm Scotland (which has to have something like 7 hours of local programming a day) is having its licence handed back - and suffering the ignominy of being closed down for a second time. (The first was when it existed on the Central Scotland FM licence and turned into the ill-fated Galaxy Scotland)
Philip

It seems as though Eddy Temple-Morris is the only casualty from XFM London/networked at the moment. Current XFM London breakfast host Jon Holmes is moving to weekend breakfast. XFM Manchester has certainly gotten a raw deal though.

I'm looking forward to Moyles' return, personally, but it looks as though the station revamp is going to piss off the majority of XFM's loyal listeners.

I imagine most of the people who read a forum like this have already seen this, but in case you haven't, Matt Deegan, who works as part of a radio consultancy and is known for his articles about the industry, posted today about the history of XFM and why it's changing now:

http://www.mattdeegan.com/2015/09/07/ra ... n-kay-xfm/
Martin Phillp

So far out of the current XFM presenters, it's been confirmed that Dan O'Connell, Jo Good, Jon Holmes, John Kennedy and Clint Boon, the Xfm Manchester drive presenter are staying in some capacity.

No idea if Ian Camfield, a stalwart of the radio station is staying.
TVF's London Lite.
Philip

So here's the preliminary line-up, taken from the press release and tweets:

4:00 Rich Walters
6:30 Chris Moyles
10:00 Vernon Kay
13.00 Dan O'Connell
16:00 Johnny Vaughan
Martin Phillp

Taken from http://radiotoday.co.uk/2015/09/radio-x ... e-in-full/

Weekday evenings

19:00: Phil Clifton