Real Radio to become Heart by the end of the year?

The forum discussing radio
wells

It looks that way.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/ju ... o-business
http://www.scotsman.com/business/media- ... -1-2351338

And I think everyone with an interest in the industry knew a take over of Bauer's or GMG's stations was likely eventually. It's a given that Real would become Heart, but what about Smooth, would that keep the name? Come under the more descriptive and better performing Gold banner? Smooth would possibly have to be sold off in some areas.

I suspect Heart will be a fully national service within two years, if they get onto Ofcom. If they get Real, they'll be able to put the same output on all the former Real's and Heart in West Midlands and London.
Philip

I'd be upset over it - Real Radio is the only commercial regional station I like, even after they changed the name from Century. However the way Ditchy and Salty left wasn't exactly the most mutual and I can't believe they gave them the sack - especially just as the show was getting more recognition with awards. To replace it with such a bland show they did, only for one of the presenters to leave two weeks afterwards, just shows how bad a move that was.

However I do still enjoy drivetime and enjoy the quite nice mix of old and new music. In my city we don't have Heart or Capital. I don't want to lose the one commercial station I actually enjoy to become another Heart.
fusionlad

The announcement could happen as early as this week according to this
http://mediaweek.co.uk/news/1136449/Glo ... done-deal/

I don't get to listen to Real very often but I'm told the format/playlist has changed recently? Has it become more 'Heart-like'?
Inspector Sands

I suspect this would through up a lot of competition issues as the takeover that formed Global did a few years ago. There are Smooth stations in the East and West Midlands, both problematic areas before. South Wales and London shouldn't be a problem though.

One suggestion I've read is that in the areas that they can they could always move Gold to FM to replace Smooth. I could see this happening in London

The odd thing is that some of the Real Radio stations started off as Century were taken over by Global's predecessor Capital. Then were sold to GMG and rebranded into Real which was essentially the same format as Century.

I really hope that it's not Global that gets the GMG stations, even though none of theirs are 'heritage' stations that would disappear. Heart is just so bland and is replacing so many good stations, Atlantic FM in Cornwall being the most recent. It would also mean lots of people out of work.

Although if Bauer was taken over by them and we lost the likes of Hallam, CIty, Metro and Key 103 then it would be the death of local radio
all new Phil

Would this mean an end to the top of the hour on Real Radio sounding like a TV Forumer's wet dream? :cry:
wells

Well the deal has gone through. Looks like Heart will be covering most the UK by the end of year.

What will happen to Smooth and whether they are required to sell anything off will be interesting also.