Radio 1 schedule changes from April

The forum discussing radio
paul_hadley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/17191591

Greg James moves to 4pm and Scott Mills moves to 1pm.
DVB Cornwall

Mills en route for the Exit I suspect.

Suspect the Radio One age profile moans are behind this ....

Reducing the over twenties listenership in the afternoon and also into the drivetime slot, which now becomes so BBC competitive with three excellent presenters across Radios One, Two and Six Music.

Makes a listening gap between one and four as far as I'm concerned.
paul_hadley

Agreed.

The original plan way-back-when must have been for Mills to move to the breakfast slot but Moyles is doing so well they didn't want to and now Scott's time has passed.

Greg will likely be the successor to R1 breakfast in a few years.
wells

DVB Cornwall wrote:Mills en route for the Exit I suspect.

Suspect the Radio One age profile moans are behind this ....
The thing is though despite being around the same age as Moyles, Mills can in my opinion appeal to a much younger audience.

Perhaps they're waiting for Moyles' contract to run out and then they will replace Moyles with Mills for 6 to 12 months, whilst a more suitable replacement is found. But they'll already have their new drive show well in place, for when Moyles leave as to not upset the ship too much.

I just can't imagine Greg James' matching Moyles success on breakfast.
DVB Cornwall

The age profile issue isn't with breakfast, it's with Greg's current slot. He's become insanely popular with older listeners who are fed up with Vine and Wright. Why should I, a 50 plus listener be tuning in to it and looking forward to it, as ATL listening rather than in passing?

One of the aims has to be to divert some of the 1-4 audience away.

Mills has clearly lost the race to be Moyles successor, James as the Guardian said today, is heir apparant.
all new Phil

Nah. Breakfast will end up with Nick Grimshaw, no doubt about it.
wells

I think they'll be a six month period with someone like Millls in charge. Then someone from outside will be bought in. I don't think the long term future host of breakfast is within the BBC whoever it is will struggle to match Moyles in RAJAR.
Andrew

I think it's quite likely that either Scott Mills or Sara Cox will get the breakfast show for an interim period after Moyles leaves, they'll be able to smooth over the change.

The press will lay into the successor with daily negative articles, so it's best if they are given 6 months to get used to the idea.
Pete

Scott Mills has lost his way in my view, if he ever had it in the first place. It's just same old same old every time I listen and its not even funny. The way he has to repeat his clips of things 400 times to pad time annoys the hell out of me.

Greg James is indeed excellent.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Ebeneezer Scrooge

Andrew wrote:I think it's quite likely that either Scott Mills or Sara Cox will get the breakfast show for an interim period after Moyles leaves, they'll be able to smooth over the change.

The press will lay into the successor with daily negative articles, so it's best if they are given 6 months to get used to the idea.
Sara Cox is past it and has been for some years. I'd be very surprised if they put her on the breakfast show for more than a couple of weeks.
Snarky
Inspector Sands

Ebeneezer Scrooge wrote:Sara Cox is past it and has been for some years. I'd be very surprised if they put her on the breakfast show for more than a couple of weeks.
Although when she has done it recently, filling in for Moyles she went down quite well by all accounts. Totally different to the reaction to her when she was doing it for real.

I agree she won't go back though, I suspect she's on her way out of Radio 1. Does she still pre-record her weekend shows?