Radio 1 schedule changes from April

The forum discussing radio
Inspector Sands

DVB Cornwall wrote:Suspect the Radio One age profile moans are behind this ....
Yes, and the need to find a successor for the breakfast show.

I read recently that Radio 1's age demographics aren't actually that bad, it's the use of 'mean' or 'median' figures for age that skew them. They do get high numbers of young people listening, but also some in their 30s and older, which isn't a bad thing but it drags the mid point right up depending on how you do the stats
Reducing the over twenties listenership in the afternoon and also into the drivetime slot, which now becomes so BBC competitive with three excellent presenters across Radios One, Two and Six Music.

Makes a listening gap between one and four as far as I'm concerned.
I'm the opposite, there's too much good stuff in the afternoon: Richard Bacon, Radcliffe & Maconie and Danny Baker but at 'Drive' there's only really Simon Mayo I actually like listening to
all new Phil

I'm sure I read somewhere that Sara Cox is covering on Radio 2 in the next few weeks. She was also bizarrely a guest host of Blue Peter the other week. Not sure they really understand what she's best at, but I'd say she's at least going to be in work for the foreseeable future.

I thought she was excellent when she covered for Moyles a year or 2 back, and always enjoy her covering Scott Mills too. Think she gives them a bit of a dilemma - she is ridiculously popular (everyone I know loves her), but not necessarily with the audience they need her to be popular with.
m-in-m

all new Phil wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere that Sara Cox is covering on Radio 2 in the next few weeks. She was also bizarrely a guest host of Blue Peter the other week. Not sure they really understand what she's best at, but I'd say she's at least going to be in work for the foreseeable future.

I thought she was excellent when she covered for Moyles a year or 2 back, and always enjoy her covering Scott Mills too. Think she gives them a bit of a dilemma - she is ridiculously popular (everyone I know loves her), but not necessarily with the audience they need her to be popular with.
Sara appears to be sitting in for Alex Lester all week.

05/03/2012 02:00
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01cvpb3

06/03/2012 02:00
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01cvpw2

07/03/2012 02:00
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01cvr68

08/03/2012 02:00
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01cwshx

09/03/2012 02:00
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01cwvfb
all new Phil

Greg James pulled a sickie today, so his last-minute replacement was none other than Chris Moyles for his second show of the day. Can't help but wonder how many other DJs said no before he was called!
Jake

all new Phil wrote:Greg James pulled a sickie today, so his last-minute replacement was none other than Chris Moyles for his second show of the day. Can't help but wonder how many other DJs said no before he was called!
Three others according to discussion on the show.
m-in-m

When Greg and Scott swapped shows on Radio 1 last week did they also swap studios or do they continue to use the studios they have been using?
DVB Cornwall

Really impressed that Greg's show has been transposed into the new slot, with virtually all of his former features intact.
Finn

There's a certain irony that the new line-up lasted for precisely one week, before Moyles has gone off and Mills is replacing him for two weeks (with Grimshaw moved up to Mills' new slot). Fearne is also off.

Mills does one week in his new slot, then two on Moyles' show, then will be off on holiday. Bad time to launch a new line up, perhaps?
all new Phil

No matter how much they push him, I just can't get into Greg James' show. I just find him dull. He's not Radio 1 material at all.
DVB Cornwall

In what respect 'dull'?

He's refreshing, articulate, and doesn't push his persona above the content of the show.
all new Phil

DVB Cornwall wrote:In what respect 'dull'?

He's refreshing, articulate, and doesn't push his persona above the content of the show.
But for a radio show, particularly on Radio 1, the persona of the DJ *is* the content of the show. There's nothing in the show that I find particularly entertaining. Compare that with Scott Mills, who I think is brilliant at what he does, who includes features that I think are genuinely funny. It may not be to your liking but, and I mean this with the greatest of respect, I'm within the target audience for the station and you aren't.

The fact that Greg James attracts an older audience (meaning that they had to move his slot so as not to steal listeners from a pretty weak line-up on Radio 2) surely means that he is in the wrong place completely. A lot of people think he's the next in line for the breakfast show - not a chance. He's a very competent broadcaster, but his future lies elsewhere.