MikeTV

The forum discussing radio
Alexia

What you're doing isn't really radio, or even broadcasting, so please do not attempt to dress it up as such. You are merely using the work of others (namely YouTube video uploaders), which in many cases has been done illegally, to string together what is essentially a vanity project for you to associate your face and your equipment with some top quality music.

Radio is an audio medium. Webcams and signed photos aside, the beauty of radio relies on the intimate relationship between presenter and listener which is constructed purely in the respective imaginations of the two parties.

You are also demonstrating the most lazy and unimaginative of all the radio presentation techniques - voicetracking. It is a product of a 21stC radio industry driven by speed, profit and above all, homogenisation. When I have to record a show in advance to cover for my absence, I do it "analogue" style - i.e. I spend 2 hours doing the show as-live and have Audacity running for the 2 hours. It's more natural and believe it or not less time consuming than cutting and pasting links over MP3s.

And finally in this overlong and may I say overdue deconstruction of this "project", you are not doing something new. On-screen links between music videos first appeared in 1981, on another channel with the initials M T V. Wonder what happened to it....

EDIT: Plus most of what you said in your "riposte" post is complete bollocks. Radio may be struggling in the commercial mainstream, but the thriving internet radio scene shows that the passion, enthusiasm and above all variety in radio broadcasting and listening exists.
Nick Harvey
God

Alexia wrote:Radio is an audio medium.
Precisely.

End of. (to use an unfortunate modern phrase which ought to be voicetracked.)