Bauer Scotland

The forum discussing radio
pakokelso93

I would like to see what Scottish Radio Listeners think of Bauer Scotland.

on FM Currently networking hits the Big City network radio stations from 7pm at night. 7-10pm we have Romeo then Gina Mckie's depressing show at 10.

Networking is creeping in at other places now too, 10-2pm on Saturdays, extra couple hours on Sunday morning, what's next?

Also Bauer AM, is all basically the same, Forth 2, Clyde 2 etc are all generic, one radio station, except for Breakfast and the odd weekend programme.

I know cost cuts are a thing these days, but you would think they could choose better presenters for the FM and rebrand the AM stations.
Pete

pakokelso93 wrote:then Gina Mckie's depressing show at 10.
God she is depressing isn't she. It's interesting because I remember when EMAP first bought SRH and suddenly "Radio Boredom" had decent sounding jingles and a vastly superior playlist. However a few years down the line it just seems to be cost cutting and generic Bauer stuff with a few token local shows thrown in.

So basically the same as all the other once proud stations.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
wells

I'm surprised the thread been made about Bauer in Scotland when Real is about to become Heart and Smooth, Gold, possibly.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/ju ... o-business

Might be Bauer's opportunity to create a Scotland wide brand, although I suspect the time will come when the former Big City stations (now the place network) in Northern England and Scotland will become The Hits or Heat.
Philip

Well, the thread was actually made in September 2010 if you look at the first post date.
wells

Philip wrote:Well, the thread was actually made in September 2010 if you look at the first post date.
Silly me.
Pete

On the subject of this, I've noticed that Tay FM, Forth 1 and Clyde 1 have taken to a sort of half-networked system where they have local presenters but have exactly the same playlist and play them same music in the same order on their shows. So often you'll tune from one to the other only to find the same song playing but 20 seconds later.

I presume this is to save on having three separate music depts as they only have to bother their arse to make one playlist?

Is this common elsewhere?
Pete

On the subject of this, I've noticed that Tay FM, Forth 1 and Clyde 1 have taken to a sort of half-networked system where they have local presenters but have exactly the same playlist and play them same music in the same order on their shows. So often you'll tune from one to the other only to find the same song playing but 20 seconds later.

I presume this is to save on having three separate music depts as they only have to bother their arse to make one playlist?

Is this common elsewhere?
iSon

Yes - I would be very surprised if there are any group stations that still create their own playlist unless they serve a different audience and have need to play a different variety of music.

Before this, playlist policies would have been decided as a group anyway and it results in the same playlist of songs - just a different order. Playlists have long been created by software which has certain restrictions and specifications so that more popular, new songs will be played more often.

Having said that, in the case of Heart you could probably decide the playlist on a roulette wheel to determine which Spandau Ballet, Madonna or Michael Buble song it's going to be next.
Good Lord!
Jamesypoo

iSon wrote:Having said that, in the case of Heart you could probably decide the playlist on a roulette wheel to determine which Spandau Ballet, Madonna or Michael Buble song it's going to be next.
Don't forget the star of their new TV ad (which I've not seen on TV), Olly Murs. If you've not seen it already, you can watch it online.
thegeek

Pete wrote:On the subject of this, I've noticed that Tay FM, Forth 1 and Clyde 1 have taken to a sort of half-networked system where they have local presenters but have exactly the same playlist and play them same music in the same order on their shows. So often you'll tune from one to the other only to find the same song playing but 20 seconds later.
Yup - I heard the same sort of thing about 10 years ago on the north of England EMAP stations, and GWR's stations further south.

You can lament the loss of individuality all you want - but at least you've still got a local presenter for a fair chunk of the day. And get back to listening to your own TSA's station, dammit.