Wogan to go!

The forum discussing radio
Inspector Sands

DVB Cornwall wrote: There's a disaster coming in exactly the same way as Vine when he replaced Young.
Has Vine been a disaster?

Lots of people predicted that Evans would be a disaster at drivetime but it's been the opposite
DVB Cornwall

If you consider the temper raising zoo radio that Evans presents anything other than a disaster your free to have that opinion. The crassness of having a backing track to the dumbed down business news is testament to that. When you compare that to the relaxed professionalism of Walker and Dunn there really is no contest.
marksi

DVB Cornwall wrote:If you consider the temper raising zoo radio that Evans presents anything other than a disaster your free to have that opinion. The crassness of having a backing track to the dumbed down business news is testament to that. When you compare that to the relaxed professionalism of Walker and Dunn there really is no contest.
Has it possibly been a while since you listened to other radio stations?

Chris Evans on Radio 2 is not by any stretch of the imagination, zoo format.
Inspector Sands

Yes, it's not 'Zoo' and he's not doing the same act as he did on Radio1/Virgin/GLR etc - he's matured a lot since those days. It's interesting to note that Evans is older than Wogan was when he started on Radio 2

All DJs adjust their act and show format to the slot - Evans did when he joined Radio 2 and will again when he moves to breakfast, they'll have to ensure a smooth non jarring transition.The link into Pause for thought for the day or whatever it's called will be interesting if it stays
marksi

DVB Cornwall wrote:When you compare that to the relaxed professionalism of Walker and Dunn there really is no contest.
Wogan was 34 when he started at Radio 2. Gloria Hunniford was 41. John Dunn was 33. Ed Stewart was 39.

Chris Evans is 43.

Kinda knocks the argument that Radio 2's chasing younger audiences...
DVB Cornwall

Evans simply doesn't exhibit the maturity of the others though, he still aspires to youth audiences and presents accordingly, the direct audience participation element of Drivetime exhibits this well.

Mature listeners are being short changed by the network in this move.
Alexia

DVB Cornwall wrote:Evans simply doesn't exhibit the maturity of the others though, he still aspires to youth audiences and presents accordingly, the direct audience participation element of Drivetime exhibits this well.

Mature listeners are being short changed by the network in this move.
While I agree that you may have a point about Radio 2 in general chasing younger audiences, I don't think they are being short changed at all... while most of R2's daytime schedule chases popularity over posterity, their evening and weekend programming still allows the 40+s to have a safe haven from the younger trendier commercial offerings out there. Can you imagine Real Radio or similar who chase that 25-50 bracket having an hour of organ music or even Christian-orientated programming? And Friday night, party night, is still devoted to highbrow live music.

And, my opinion of course, you are doing a disservice to Chris Evans. Seems to me you still associate him with his R1/Virgin days and antics, whereas I find him well worth a listen on the trudge home from work when Planet Rock has something boring on. I think he will slot in very well at breakfast -- yes he'll be no Wogan, but then, who would be suitable?

And I personally think Jeremy Vine has done great at 12:00-2:00. Always worth a listen.
DVB Cornwall

Jeremy Vine has a show, Jimmy Young had a programme, enough said. It's Vine's show it's not a series of items programmed by a presenter.

I'm not envisaging a return to the 1980's just a retention of the late 1990's style of the network. The presence of classic tracks from the 1950's and 1960's and different genres, such as country in the daytime schedule will be diminshed in the promotion of the 'new guard'. Nick H has a point about defections to BBC Local Radio.

The Guardian today was suggesting that Evans and Moyles could well destroy themselves next year in the listener chase, with Moyles sufferring at Evans' expense, which will of course mask this imo error of presenter allocation.

It does of course also lend unfortunately some validity to the sell off R1 and R2 argument as they become more 'commercial' and less distinctive in outlook and market at their core times.
Inspector Sands

Alexia wrote: While I agree that you may have a point about Radio 2 in general chasing younger audiences, I don't think they are being short changed at all... while most of R2's daytime schedule chases popularity over posterity, their evening and weekend programming still allows the 40+s to have a safe haven from the younger trendier commercial offerings out there. Can you imagine Real Radio or similar who chase that 25-50 bracket having an hour of organ music or even Christian-orientated programming? And Friday night, party night, is still devoted to highbrow live music.
And in general it has to move with the times, after all if it stayed targeting the audience it had in the 80's, it would be broadcasting to a small handful of people now.

Even the daytime schedule which has supposedly been made younger is still perfectly good for those in their 40s and 50s and older. And it's scary to remember that who were into the likes of The Sex Pistols in their early 20's are now in their mid 50's.... they don't want Sing Something Simple and Jimmy Youngs recipie of the day!
James H

I've been listening to Radio 2 for as long as I can remember, and was having a discussion about this the other day with my family (as well as Ken Bruce's reported leaving the corporation before the move to Salford).

When Evans took over the drivetime slot, there were some who anticipated a car crash. But the car actually remained away from the central reservation - I think Evans has done a remarkable job at keeping the drivetime slot fun. I don't want some octogenarian rambling about how good SPAM was for two hours while I'm coming home from work/sitting in my flat. If anything, his show is slightly more like those shows of the 80s - the little segments like the Sportsdesk, the business news, the listeners calling in - which makes his show a different one from Johnnie's, but all the same a really entertaining one, and - dare I say it - a more 'comfy' show. And that is what Radio 2 is, essentially. Comfy radio. Which is why I think you're a bit off on this one, Mr Cornwall.

First of all, you're wrong about Kennedy. She is allegedly a drunk and her show is frequently full of incoherent ramblings. How many holidays she has a year is beyond me and how much time she takes off sick is also out of my counting range. She's a liability re: racism/insults as well, as has been frequently reported in the press. She's not fun, she's just useless now and it's time for her to go.

Ken Bruce would be a shame to lose - his acerbic wit is sometimes wild and he frequently puts together a great programme. In fact, I was surprised that Bruce wasn't offered the full-time TV Eurovision gig, but then again, he's more suited to Radio 2 with an audience that knows who he is. It'll be sad to see him go, but I hope anyone but Zoe Ball takes his place. Someone with a similar sense of humour to Ken - perhaps Alex Lester - would be ideally suited.

Vine irritates me, and the Daily Mail-style tabloid journalism of that slot makes me instantly want to switch off. He shouts at his listeners as though they can't hear him, and frequently makes embarrassing gaffes (he's nearly the Alan Partridge of BBC Radio 2). Mind Young was just way past it when he left - but they could have found a better replacement than Jezza. Steve Wright's programme is still awful. Cutting off music at less than 1'30 into the track to make room for poor material (mostly recycled from his R1 days) and an overall vintage pres style make him a no-go zone for me too, thus making 12pm-5pm unlistenable for me.

Agreed re: Richard Allinson being wallpaper - which makes him such a good relief presenter. Used to like his evening show. Stuart Maconie is also a good guy, however pairing him with that other slurring twat isn't nice.

Wogan is a very good presenter, yes. And I enjoy listening to him. But it has to be acknowledged that he can't be on the air forever, and yes, Evans is the natural replacement. I reckon putting him on the breakfast slot will maybe mellow him out further. But what I'm most baffled by is your claim that Evans' show is "zoo"-like radio. There are children in the car at drivetime - 5pm is when some parents collect their kids after work - so it's all about catering for a family zone, whilst still making the show entertaining for the grown-ups. In a sense, it's got to be inoffensive, but not bland by any stretch of the imagination.
DVB Cornwall

So the new schedule has been released today, and much to my surprise it's Janice Long who loses airtime to Evans AND Kennedy.

0000 Janice Long
0200 Alex Lester
0500 Sarah Kennedy (now 120 mins - Stuff that DS SK haters)
0700 Chris Evans