What's below 87MHz?

The forum discussing radio
Sput

I noticed that Malaysia doesn't allow you to bring in any radio receiver that can use anything other than the "usual" FM frequencies. What do these things get used for? I suspect Nick knows.
Knight knight
Nick Harvey
God

Got me there!

Haven't a clue what's immediately below 87Mhz. A bit further down, in the 40's and 50's is the old Band One, which was 405 line television and is now used as link frequencies for communiity radio stations getting signals to transmitters, and similar things to that.

Above Band Two FM is a bit of aircraft communication and things like that.

Do Malasia possibly still use the old middle bit of Band Two (97MHz to 100MHz) for the police or something?

I remember when Gwent Broadcasting were the first in the UK to be on about 103MHz, their (brilliant) publicity slogan was "Gwent Broadcasting - On The Other Side of The Law".
Sput

I suspect it's something slightly guarded, although it's hardly difficult to scramble things. I hear that they heavily censor their media so maybe it's the truth that broadcasts outside the allowed range.
Knight knight
stu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_high_frequency

There's a quick list there. FWIW I have a radio that can get FM-Air and Marine Band (as the radio calls them).
timgraham

According to ASEAN receivers for 'spot meteological broadcasts' are allowed, however:
http://www.aseansec.org/14296.htm

FexEx also say that if they're for the use of telecommunication authorities it's fine as well:
http://www.fedex.com/us/international/i ... l?gtmcc=us
Inspector Sands

Here's a list of the entire UK radio spectrum, it's a few years out of date but it wouldn't have changed that much:
http://ukspec.tripod.com/spectrum.html

As you'll see, immediately below FM radio broadcasting is 'PBR' - private business radio; things like Taxis, AA/RAC etc. At the other end, above 108Mhz is Aeronautical communications
Neil Jones

A lot depends on the location.

America uses below 87Mhz for TV channels.
Over here, business radio.
Apparently according to some bright spark on Wikipedia, we have amateur radio at 70Mhz aka "ham radio". Not the same thing as Citizen's Band radio which works on 27Mhz.
DVB Cornwall

In the 'good old days' you could phone up the IBA and they'd send you a comprehensive listing. Maybe if I have a few minutes I might see what comes back if OFCOM are asked the same question.
Nick Harvey
God

DVB Cornwall wrote:In the 'good old days' you could phone up the IBA.
Oh yes, memories memories, Winchester, dialling code 0962 from most places, eight double two, four double four!

I think I'm right that that number, with the obligatory 1 added, still goes through to Arquiva, or what every the Australians are calling them this week.
DVB Cornwall

Well guys (Mr Sput in particular) ....

UNITED KINGDOM FREQUENCY ALLOCATION TABLE 2007

ps.....

it's a 234 page pdf! - Goodluck!
Luke-H

Nick Harvey wrote:
DVB Cornwall wrote:In the 'good old days' you could phone up the IBA.
Oh yes, memories memories, Winchester, dialling code 0962 from most places, eight double two, four double four!

I think I'm right that that number, with the obligatory 1 added, still goes through to Arquiva, or what every the Australians are calling them this week.
Yep, it takes you through to the Arquiva Accident Report line.

Thought it best not to tell them about the scraped knuckle I got earlier putting up an ariel for my mum so she can get Freeview.