Wave FM becomes Pure Radio

The forum discussing radio
Pete

So DC Thompson have replaced their Dundee based station Wave FM with Pure Radio, a national station that was DAB only.

Lots of odd bits about the station, seems quite experimental, with claims of "only news when it matters" and less, yet still regionalised, adverts.
https://www.dctmedia.co.uk/brands/pure-radio/

The jingles seem to be a bit of that Glasgow Media Accent with other bits that are distinctly Taysideish, whether thats them softening the blow I'm not sure.

I'll miss Wave. It was shambolic in a charming way compared to Tay FM (aka Hits Radio Dundee) which was the standard slick yet bland Bauer station. It'll be interesting to see whether DCT's different way of doing things works though, and indeed whether their remaining stations, Kingdom FM (Fife) and Original 106 (Aberdeen) are next to be sucked in.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
thegeek

Their PageRank is slowly creeping up - last time I Googled them all I could find was the manufacturer of DAB radios.

The evening show is called "We Know You Are Watching TV but We're Still Playing Scotland's Best Music". Fair enough.
Martin Phillp

The small scale Dundee FM licence seems to have been a Cinderella station for such a long time.

I was surprised that DCT decided to invest in the old Wave 102, but performed better when it was between owners with a jukebox format.

Pure Radio appears to be a vanity project based in Glasgow as an outlet for Robin Galloway to still do his outdated act on digital radio in the central belt, where there's no need for yet another pop and prattle station, yet here we are!
TVF's London Lite.
Pete

I have to say I'd rather enjoyed the DCT version of Wave FM, compared to Wave 102 (when UTV owned it) it felt fun and charming and very local.

I'm already considering ditching it from button 3 on my car. Wave had a great variety of classics and current pop. Pure just seems to be 70s durge every time I turn it on.
thegeek

Martin Phillp wrote: Thu 09 Jul, 2020 19.23
Pure Radio appears to be a vanity project based in Glasgow as an outlet for Robin Galloway to still do his outdated act on digital radio in the central belt, where there's no need for yet another pop and prattle station, yet here we are!
It's kind of amazing that, with all the other changes in the radio landscape, Robin Galloway and George Bowie are still presenting breakfast shows, just as they were 20 years ago.
scottishtv

Pete wrote: Mon 06 Jul, 2020 17.13the standard slick yet bland Bauer station.
I saw this on Twitter, and very much made me think of Pete's comment.

As for Robin Galloway, I don't know how he does it either. You'd have thought the wind-up shtick would've run its course by now.

Pete

oh I saw that too! amazingly accurate impression of the speech patterns