Are you still wearing a mask in shops?

Poll ended at Mon 18 Oct, 2021 17.13

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 27
Joe

Finding the description of these experiences bewildering. I believe they’ve happened, but I’ve not experienced or observed any kind of reaction at all from anyone in Kent, London, nor any of the other places I’ve visited. My life seems quite dull compared to some of these episodes!
scottishtv

My only objection is the "we're nearly there!" line in the Sainsbury's in-store recorded announcement about wearing face-coverings. I like the lady's upbeat attitude but she's been promising me we're nearly there for months and months.
Martin Phillp

Joe wrote: Tue 21 Sep, 2021 16.43 Finding the description of these experiences bewildering. I believe they’ve happened, but I’ve not experienced or observed any kind of reaction at all from anyone in Kent, London, nor any of the other places I’ve visited. My life seems quite dull compared to some of these episodes!
It hasn't happened to me either and I still wear masks.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

I wear on public transport when there's more than 2 people aboard and wherever it is required. That's it tho. I stopped wearing in supermarkets and most shops as soon as I was allowed; my fiancée shouldn't be wearing one due to exemption but often felt compelled to try (which in my view was not a good thing for her) so I was keen to stop that nonsense.
BBC TV Centre

I will mask up if the place is really busy, there are lots of people and is severely enclosed.

However, I tend to visit the supermarket when there's less people anyway - late on weekend evenings/weekdays. I don't bother with masks times like these, since there is no benefit.

I have no problem with people that choose to want to mask up all the time when indoors if it offers them reassurance.

As regards those that are anti and pro masks on either side of the extreme spectrum?

I would say blame the government - they have handled parts of this crisis appallingly, with constant u-turns and confusion from mixed messaging. Plus let's not forget the lack of integrity from some ministers.
Martin Phillp

Back in late September I got in an Uber and the driver asked me if I wanted to take my mask off as he didn't mind.

It's fair to say in mid-October that there's now more people not wearing masks than not, but I'm still wearing them on public transport and in shops.
TVF's London Lite.
Alexia

Yes.

They do work, and I've finally found some which are comfortable to wear and which don't make me feel claustrophobic.

I don't want to be responsible for someone else's death, even if other folk do.
Finn

Alexia wrote: Wed 17 Nov, 2021 17.07 I've finally found some which are comfortable to wear and which don't make me feel claustrophobic.
*ahem*

Link please?
Solari

Neil wrote: Wed 17 Nov, 2021 20.22
Alexia wrote: Wed 17 Nov, 2021 17.07 I've finally found some which are comfortable to wear and which don't make me feel claustrophobic.
*ahem*

Link please?
Not Alexia, but IME the Diesel masks are really comfortable. They are a touch on the expensive side, though.
bilky asko

https://www.copperclothing.com/products ... -face-mask is one I got a while back.

It's got a decent nosepiece, has adjustable ear loops, and has a "beak"-like design so doesn't press against a large portion of your face like some masks can. And (since I bought it, I believe) has been certified as FFP2. It's copper-infused so only requires washing once a week, in either distilled water or boiled water that's been left to cool for 15 minutes.

In terms of disposable masks, I found that I tend to prefer the designs that attach round the back of your head more than the ones that just rely on elastic ear loops. The white hooks on the FFP2 masks I've worn are much less distracting, though there's the caveat that I don't know how much that would apply if you were bald. The FFP3 masks I've worn with thick elastic bands going around from the front to the back of the head are a lot more comfortable than I expected, and the nosepiece is covered in a really dense foam.
Laura-1

I keep hearing people say... "unvaccinated people are the problem as they spread the virus" insanity

40k people are testing positive every day - despite well over 65% of the adults being vaccinated

These numbers are about 20k short of the levels they were when vaccines didn't exist

However, the vaccine hardly cuts the spread and even one of the government advisors said that the current vaccines barely effects transmission

The people who try to scare people into getting vaccinated by saying the vaccine stops the spread really need to stop it

Ask them why the numbers are 20k less and they say that the vaccine is cutting the spread

Which is not true

The reason the numbers are 20k less is because less people are getting tested - because they are vaccinated and not getting ill so they don't have a reason to test

The vaccine saves lives and is a good thing - but trying to force people into getting it is so wrong, they should be allowed to make their own decision... if Mike takes the vaccine it will possibly save Mike's life, it won't save the life of Terry next door

Last week Austria announced a lockdown for the unvaccinated, sadly they they changed it after 4 days which isn't enough as it would take 2/3 weeks to start seeing the impact of lockdown

But what we would have seen was the idea of locking the unvaccinated indoors would not make a big difference to their case numbers, what would have happened is all those people who (we all know people who say it) say "I got the vaccine because I didn't want to spread the virus to my gran" would realise the vaccine doesn't stop the spread and then they wouldn't bother getting boosters.

Even MP's seem to be fuelling a war, vaccinated V unvaccinated, which is totally pointless, we don't need this divide, I know a bunch of vaccinated people who were fully vaccinated and caught it off other fully vaccinated people (fully vaccinated elderly people who the only people they've had in their house was their fully vaccinated sons/daughters) and others you speak to will also know someone whose been fully vaccinated but still caught it, so yes, both the vaccinated and the unvaccinated can spread Covid-19

Masks do have more chance of stopping the spread than vaccines and for me, masks should never have been dropped because we knew the vaccines didn't stop the spread before the mask wearing was dropped

I know some people will not like this opinion which is fine as they are fed up with masks - I don't like wearing masks either but the problem I see is - if a new variant comes up which is worse and the vaccines are not as effective against it - the not wearing of masks enables that new variant to spread quickly - which could potentially lead to more restrictions again... in my opinion wearing a mask is a small price to pay to keep the idea of another lockdown as far away as possible

We saw last year how quickly the Kent variant took hold and became dominant

There are also scientists who have said that vaccines suppress the virus and this suppression can increase the chances of the virus becoming a new breakthrough variant

Just for the record I am vaccinated and I'm not an anti vaxer, like I've said, yes it saves lives, I just see countries banning the unvaccinated from public transport and think this is all getting a bit daft, there are a lot of unvaccinated shop workers who are key workers and they say they won't get vaccinated because they survived not getting ill while working every day in shops before the vaccines existed so they think they'll be fine without it - without these shop key workers people would have starved and not been able to get their food, drink and toilet rolls - even the doctors and nurses needed the shop key workers because they needed supplies too

Lets apply common sense and all play nicely, being vaccinated does not make us better than those who are not vaccinated.

Laura-1 wrote:£20+ for masks is a disgrace, best thing to do is browse through Amazon or eBay at masks that are between £3 - £8 each, you can see all the different fitments and then head onto a search engine and find a shop that sells them.