Emergency alerts

Philip

Some talk today about the government testing a new emergency notification system on phones, with a test on Android devices between 1-2pm today.

Turns out there’s a whole website about the proposed service:

https://www.gov.uk/alerts

Anybody got an alert? Apparently it will sound the alert even when on silent.
Bail

I had assumed we already had such a system, I know the US has one for all sorts of things, Tornado, Child Abduction etc. I just assumed in the UK we hadn't needed to use it yet, because I'm assuming it's only ever going to say the bombs are coming say goodbye to your loved ones...

Interesting they say if only works on devices with a 4G/5G connection and 3G devices won’t get the alert.
TIGHazard

Philip wrote: Tue 22 Jun, 2021 13.26 Some talk today about the government testing a new emergency notification system on phones, with a test on Android devices between 1-2pm today.

Turns out there’s a whole website about the proposed service:

https://www.gov.uk/alerts

Anybody got an alert? Apparently it will sound the alert even when on silent.
Well I didn't get one.
Bail wrote: Tue 22 Jun, 2021 13.30 I had assumed we already had such a system, I know the US has one for all sorts of things, Tornado, Child Abduction etc. I just assumed in the UK we hadn't needed to use it yet, because I'm assuming it's only ever going to say the bombs are coming say goodbye to your loved ones...

Interesting they say if only works on devices with a 4G/5G connection and 3G devices won’t get the alert.
I used to have a LG Spirit which had a 'Emergency Alerts' app preinstalled, although once I opened it it said it wasn't usable in this country (yet you still couldn't uninstall it)
allwillbewell

It appears to have been testing in May

Familiar with the system as they use it in the states a lot, but can be annoying although I guess it is for a good cause in those cases.
All views are my own
Please Respond