TV Live Forum Watch News and Information Board

rob

Philip wrote: Sun 12 Sep, 2021 19.12 It’s gotten to the point where I dread any new member joining… as it usually seems to be a child who posts a load of nonsense initially before calming down. I know, I know, I was one of those once, and I can deal with one or two. But there seem to be lots at the moment. Maybe I just need to take a break from the place.
It's a concern. I'm a bit fed up with all the youngsters as well. It's a problem I addressed in the early days of the forum, and the changes we made with regards to new member status appear to have worked on the whole; the Gallery and Requests forums appear to be running much more smoothly now, and the general atmosphere in those forums is friendly and polite.

The text speak rule has been in place since the forum started. I hate it, and I know that others hate it too, hence why the rule is in place.

The recent spate of new members starting topics with 50 word titles and descriptions has been a problem, and I've requested that members keep them short where possible.

A welcome PM is sent to all members with a link to the forum rules, which they are advised to read before posting. If they don't read it, then it's their own fault.

The younger members need to realise that the forum isn't social media, and that they should think about the way they post if they want to continue as members.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
Jonwo

I've been biting my tongue over some of the inane blog like threads that have popped up and I feel guilty as I know some people may have learning difficulties of some kind but I do think we need to stamp down on them and perhaps gently remind people of the rules when they sign up.
rob

Jonwo wrote: Mon 13 Sep, 2021 10.21 I've been biting my tongue over some of the inane blog like threads that have popped up and I feel guilty as I know some people may have learning difficulties of some kind but I do think we need to stamp down on them and perhaps gently remind people of the rules when they sign up.
I'm looking into the best way to handle this. Any sensible suggestions will be gratefully received.
Andrew

Anyone who joins and posts mostly in the ‘programmes’ forum is generally a bad sign. It means they are joining to use the forum like Digital Spy rather than joining to talk about stuff the core remit of the forum, I.e presentation and the inner workings of television

There is also far too many new members who only make one line quips about stuff these days, like they are on social media
Martin Phillp

I thought that now I have just over 1000 posts that I was posting way too much, but then I looked at a well known regular who has over 2400 posts in the short time TVLF started.
TVF's London Lite.
rob

Andrew wrote: Mon 13 Sep, 2021 22.31 Anyone who joins and posts mostly in the ‘programmes’ forum is generally a bad sign. It means they are joining to use the forum like Digital Spy rather than joining to talk about stuff the core remit of the forum, I.e presentation and the inner workings of television

There is also far too many new members who only make one line quips about stuff these days, like they are on social media
I'll admit that the Programmes forum is slowly turning into DS, and I'm not a big fan of DS. It's being over-run by constant threads about children's television, that most members (myself included) simply don't care about, and most of the new members don't know how to use the forum properly.

I am in the process of re-writing the forum's "About" page to clarify what is expected of new members (and existing members too).
Joe

Jonwo wrote: Mon 13 Sep, 2021 10.21 I've been biting my tongue over some of the inane blog like threads that have popped up and I feel guilty as I know some people may have learning difficulties of some kind but I do think we need to stamp down on them and perhaps gently remind people of the rules when they sign up.
I’m intrigued by this. I don’t understand what is meant by ‘blog like’ threads.

I also don’t really see a big problem with lots of children’s TV threads or niche topics, or discussion gets going and it doesn’t break other rules. Actually, there have been some really great kids TV stuff on there recently and I’d dare to suggest that those who don’t like it are simply not of that particular era. It’s easy enough to ignore.

I suppose my concern is that there is a risk of too much policing of what can and can’t be discussed, and it’s maybe a bit arbitrary. Ultimately threads are easy enough to ignore, and as long as it doesn’t leak across into every thread I don’t really see the harm?
Jonwo

Joe wrote: Tue 14 Sep, 2021 14.28 I’m intrigued by this. I don’t understand what is meant by ‘blog like’ threads.

I also don’t really see a big problem with lots of children’s TV threads or niche topics, or discussion gets going and it doesn’t break other rules. Actually, there have been some really great kids TV stuff on there recently and I’d dare to suggest that those who don’t like it are simply not of that particular era. It’s easy enough to ignore.

I suppose my concern is that there is a risk of too much policing of what can and can’t be discussed, and it’s maybe a bit arbitrary. Ultimately threads are easy enough to ignore, and as long as it doesn’t leak across into every thread I don’t really see the harm?
I don't have any threads at hand as rob has likely deleted or closed them but it is threads which are basically someone is writing the post like it's a blog and not an actual forum thread.
Martin Phillp

All of those recent kids show threads have a similar posting style and for example asking what your favourite kids show is without mentioning the presentation elements is a bit strange, but it could be an overenthusiastic kid who doesn't realise that Digital Spy is the better place for more generalised discussion about tv shows.
TVF's London Lite.
Jonwo

I see steely12 has finally been banned.
TIGHazard

Jonwo wrote: Wed 15 Sep, 2021 10.23 I see steely12 has finally been banned.
Taking Louise's "I'll see you on the other side" a bit too literally?