TV Live Forum Watch News and Information Board

Philip

Alan de Robson wrote: Sun 02 May, 2021 13.30 The use of that emoji made me think that the poster was one of those virtue signalling, sanctimonious left wing arseholes which he or she probably is.

There's nowt wrong with being left wing but there is a problem when someone with a particular set of beliefs (left wing or right wing) is so convinced of how right they are about everything that anyone who disagrees is either:
  • a fascist, a communist, racist, anti trans - the list goes on or
  • they haven't done the research, they have been brainwashed by the other side, or they lack critical thinking abilities

I and the vast majority of others aren't interested in your political opinion in the context of a TV presentation discussion. It pollutes and toxifies threads, so much so that it poisoned many threads on the old TV Forum.

It is perfectly possible to not discuss the political leanings of a channel or its presenters. If you feel you can't, don't contribute to the thread.

For example, C4 News does lean left and so does Jon Snow. I had nothing particular to say on either other than that so I didn't contribute to the conversation.

If you're that desperate to share your political thoughts with everyone else, do so on MP.

Why not have "GB News Presentation" on TVLF and "GB News Editorial Comments" on MP247? Is it really that hard for the politicos on here?
Wow, there is a lot to unpack here. Again, the poster wasn't posting a political opinion - he was posting information about someone hired by GB News about their politics, in this case a particularly mad conspiracy theory (hence the emoticon). Again, I think it is fair to discuss the political leanings of the presenters they will hire as there will be opinion based programmes the channel, as shown by Andrew Neil's tweets (with his clear political agenda behind the channel) and the tweets of those employed thus far. E.g. "They [presenters] will be able to give their own views too".

"C4 News does lean left" - well, no it doesn't. It's an Ofcom regulated news bulletin like BBC, ITV and Sky. It focuses less on showbiz or royal stories than the others, but it does not "lean left". It is also not an opinion based news programme, as some of those on GB News will be, which is why I think it's fair to discuss the public political leanings of those who will be hired by GB News.
Jonwo

If Rob wants no political discussion on TVLF then it's something we have to accept as members rather than try and push his patience to the point where people end up getting banned.
bilky asko

Ultimately when anyone posts about the political leanings of GB News presenters, we're immediately aware of what that particular poster's beliefs are. And that gets pretty boring after a while.
Martin Phillp

All it's going to take is day 1 for a presenter or a reporter to make a skewed comment and the politics will be at the forefront of discussion.

The problem with GB News during pre-launch is with every new signing, someone is going to dig up what their background is, which isn't an issue for those who are known for their impartial work previously, yet when they hire someone from a background where they've been able to show their political bias, that is going to cause arguments on any forum discussing GB. The DS thread on that channel is a political argument with very little discussion about the channel presentation.

DS's LBC radio thread is full of politics as well, I think those two brands attract political discussion purely on what those brands stand for.

I've tried hard since we moved across to TVLF to keep to presentation issues, but GB News is a hard read when it's so easy to spot which members are politically skewed one way or the other.
TVF's London Lite.
Pete

I shall reiterate, again, that GB News has so far broadcast 0 hours of content.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
TVenthusiasm2

Just noticed new signs that are seen depending on if a user is warned or banned. Cool!

allwillbewell

Philip wrote: Sun 02 May, 2021 17.41
Alan de Robson wrote: Sun 02 May, 2021 13.30 The use of that emoji made me think that the poster was one of those virtue signalling, sanctimonious left wing arseholes which he or she probably is.

There's nowt wrong with being left wing but there is a problem when someone with a particular set of beliefs (left wing or right wing) is so convinced of how right they are about everything that anyone who disagrees is either:
  • a fascist, a communist, racist, anti trans - the list goes on or
  • they haven't done the research, they have been brainwashed by the other side, or they lack critical thinking abilities

I and the vast majority of others aren't interested in your political opinion in the context of a TV presentation discussion. It pollutes and toxifies threads, so much so that it poisoned many threads on the old TV Forum.

It is perfectly possible to not discuss the political leanings of a channel or its presenters. If you feel you can't, don't contribute to the thread.

For example, C4 News does lean left and so does Jon Snow. I had nothing particular to say on either other than that so I didn't contribute to the conversation.

If you're that desperate to share your political thoughts with everyone else, do so on MP.

Why not have "GB News Presentation" on TVLF and "GB News Editorial Comments" on MP247? Is it really that hard for the politicos on here?
Wow, there is a lot to unpack here. Again, the poster wasn't posting a political opinion - he was posting information about someone hired by GB News about their politics, in this case a particularly mad conspiracy theory (hence the emoticon). Again, I think it is fair to discuss the political leanings of the presenters they will hire as there will be opinion based programmes the channel, as shown by Andrew Neil's tweets (with his clear political agenda behind the channel) and the tweets of those employed thus far. E.g. "They [presenters] will be able to give their own views too".

"C4 News does lean left" - well, no it doesn't. It's an Ofcom regulated news bulletin like BBC, ITV and Sky. It focuses less on showbiz or royal stories than the others, but it does not "lean left". It is also not an opinion based news programme, as some of those on GB News will be, which is why I think it's fair to discuss the public political leanings of those who will be hired by GB News.
And so will GB News. Which is why I struggle to understand the "fear" over the channel.

The poster may have been able to do it without the emoji of comment about left wing counterbalance. But that was added for no reason other than to say something else other than the fact.
All views are my own
Philip

The "fear" is over the opinion based programming, which no doubt will be the main draw of the channel.
Pete wrote: Mon 03 May, 2021 12.21 I shall reiterate, again, that GB News has so far broadcast 0 hours of content.
Which is my point. If you think it's difficult to discuss it now, wait until it launches…
all new Phil

Why do people insist on droning on about who’s presenting when on BBC News? 😴
Philip

all new Phil wrote: Mon 03 May, 2021 17.26 Why do people insist on droning on about who’s presenting when on BBC News? 😴
I'm surprised TVNewsViewer's eight paragraph post about how he doesn't understand the rules didn't get deleted.
Martin Phillp

DS have closed their GB News thread.
TVF's London Lite.