TV Live Forum Watch News and Information Board

Laura-1

rob wrote: Mon 05 Jul, 2021 17.41
allwillbewell wrote: Mon 05 Jul, 2021 16.59 Wasn't there a big post here that has vanished?
There was... it was a spambot.

Anyway, three months of endless speculation ahead. Yay.
I wasn't a spam bot, I made a genuine first post, my account then appears to have been deleted, no idea for what reason.

Didn't post links to other websites.
Didn't advertise a bathroom.
Just posted a message of thanks to the people who keep this forum running as I've viewed for a few years but had never bothered to sign up until around 4 days ago.
Shame.
all new Phil

Laura-1 wrote: Tue 06 Jul, 2021 22.10
allwillbewell wrote: Mon 05 Jul, 2021 16.59 Wasn't there a big post here that has vanished?

I wasn't a spam bot, I made a genuine first post, my account then appears to have been deleted, no idea for what reason.

Just posted a message of thanks to the people who keep this forum running as I've viewed for a few years but had never bothered to sign up until around 4 days ago.
Shame.
Which part of this site are you most grateful for? The running commentary of the comings and goings of another site? The Morrisons chat? Discussion of Currys PC World changing to just Currys? I’m not saying this place isn’t fab because obvs it is but you’ve not really given us reason to understand what you like about it. If you long for the days of the Morrisons banana rotation system then we’ll welcome you with open arms.
Laura-1

all new Phil wrote: Wed 07 Jul, 2021 00.28
Laura-1 wrote: Tue 06 Jul, 2021 22.10

Shame.
Which part of this site are you most grateful for? The running commentary of the comings and goings of another site? The Morrisons chat? Discussion of Currys PC World changing to just Currys? I’m not saying this place isn’t fab because obvs it is but you’ve not really given us reason to understand what you like about it. If you long for the days of the Morrisons banana rotation system then we’ll welcome you with open arms.

I'm not here to be welcomed, my first post went into more detail before it and me were deleted.

Just a few things though, those who pay the hosting costs to keep the forum going, those who pay the domain name fee to keep the forum going, those who moderate it and keep away some of the spam, those who pay for the Milk phpBB theme, a wonderful choice too I must add, it all adds up though and not a single donation button in sight, which is fab in itself.

If you don't know of any content on this forum that could be informative to others, well that's your view, although the place isn't what it used to be, it's not too bad. whether it's seeing if I'm not the only one who thinks x on the TV is a plonker or something informative RE tech / shops. There may not be a topic about the ever increasing price of the plastic carrier bag but there is other useful stuff.

I do have one motive though, I struggle reading the links on the Quick Links menu in the top left corner, with the way the Milk is designed, if you change one colour you most likely end up changing several,

If one is allowed to make a suggestion, I would find the following in the colours.css file,

Code: Select all

.navbar a {
	color: #bec4c9;
}

I would add on the next line,

Code: Select all

.navbar .dropdown a {
    color: #676767;  /* gives the dropdown links a slightly darker font colour. */
}

.fd_dark .navbar .dropdown a {
    color: #9C0606;  /* sets the dark mode font colour back to red for the dropdown links. */
}

.fd_dark .navbar .dropdown .dropdown-contents > li > a:hover {
    color: #FFFFFF; /* sets the dark mode font colour on hover back to white for the dropdown links. */
}

Then purge the cache and do a CTRL plus F5 to refresh the browser cache as the changes often don't show up until then.

It's a small cosmetic adjustment but it would make the Quick Links menu much easier on the eye for us slightly older folk.
Pete

Laura-1 wrote: Tue 06 Jul, 2021 22.10I wasn't a spam bot, I made a genuine first post, my account then appears to have been deleted, no idea for what reason.

Shame.
oh, oops. 😧

We do get a surprisingly large number of spambots (or more accurately, people from Bangladesh who are paid to make posts) which often start with similar language to your original first post. Sorry about that, I've got accustomed to someone saying they enjoyed reading the site as being a fake user so just binned your original account.

So yes, welcome Laura 👋

Will have a nose at your CSS suggestion later in the week as yes, Milk sometimes is not the best at contrasting colours.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
rob

Pete wrote: Wed 07 Jul, 2021 12.51
oh, oops. 😧
Seconded. My apologies.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
gottago

Oh good. Another “BBC is broken” thread where all the suggestions are significantly worse than the status quo.
allwillbewell

gottago wrote: Wed 07 Jul, 2021 17.53 Oh good. Another “BBC is broken” thread where all the suggestions are significantly worse than the status quo.
That may be so but pretending a problem doesn't exist is not a solution.
All views are my own
Laura-1

Pete wrote: Wed 07 Jul, 2021 12.51 oh, oops. 😧

We do get a surprisingly large number of spambots (or more accurately, people from Bangladesh who are paid to make posts) which often start with similar language to your original first post. Sorry about that, I've got accustomed to someone saying they enjoyed reading the site as being a fake user so just binned your original account.

So yes, welcome Laura 👋

Will have a nose at your CSS suggestion later in the week as yes, Milk sometimes is not the best at contrasting colours.
That's ok :-) I know of a few forums that get moderated about once a week and the topics are full of spam so it's refreshing to see you keep on top of it :-)
Laura-1

gottago wrote: Wed 07 Jul, 2021 17.53 Oh good. Another “BBC is broken” thread.
I'm not saying it's broke, as I said it's a cosmetic thing, nothing to do with how the forum engine room works.

I've worked with the Milk theme a lot and know several admins who have found that adjusting the colour of one thing can mess something else up which is why I posted a suggestion which not only changes the colour slightly but also corrects the hover / dark mode colours which would be affected by making the change.

gottago wrote: Wed 07 Jul, 2021 17.53 where all the suggestions are significantly worse than the status quo.
Significantly worse... nothing wrong with a bit of banta ;-) they do say a picture speaks a thousand words. ;-)

gottago

Laura-1 wrote: Wed 07 Jul, 2021 20.42
gottago wrote: Wed 07 Jul, 2021 17.53 Oh good. Another “BBC is broken” thread.
I'm not saying it's broke, as I said it's a cosmetic thing, nothing to do with how the forum engine room works.

I've worked with the Milk theme a lot and know several admins who have found that adjusting the colour of one thing can mess something else up which is why I posted a suggestion which not only changes the colour slightly but also corrects the hover / dark mode colours which would be affected by making the change.

gottago wrote: Wed 07 Jul, 2021 17.53 where all the suggestions are significantly worse than the status quo.
Significantly worse... nothing wrong with a bit of banta ;-) they do say a picture speaks a thousand words. ;-)

Lol I’m referring to the British Broadcasting Corporation and the corresponding thread about it on TV Live Forum! Fully appreciate how this could be confused with BBCode!
noelfirl

I'm not registered on TVL and can't register at the moment, but just had to call this post out in the New BBC Logo thread:
A little late here, but I find it astonishing that people can write things like (from the Cleanfeed article):
The new blocks lack the class, gravitas and timeless quality of the current logo.
with a straight face. Is Reith less "classy" than GIll Sans? Is it the exact percentage of the blocks that the letters filled that give the old logo gravitas, or is it how close together the blocks are?

Complete bobbins. They'd write exactly the same pretentious nonsense if the logos had switched places in history: "Gill Sans lacks the fruity aroma and intense miasma of ennui that's been evoked by Reith for the last 20 years..."
That phrasing captures such nonsense with absolute perfection.