TV Live Forum Watch News and Information Board

james2001

bilky asko wrote: Tue 15 Jun, 2021 22.48
James Martin from Television Live Forum wrote:And if you challenge them, you get hit with the G word, which I will not use here because it is as bad as the N word or the P word.
I'm surprised that this comment got a mild admonishment from a moderator whereas the post of the tweet got a 2 week ban.
Especially when Rob told us he was already on his final warning last week- surely that post should have been it for him? Otherwise what is the point of being on a final warning? Especially considering the other bans and warnings that have been handed out today. Someone gets banned for posting a tweet, but not for claiming a moderately insulting term (that relates to temperament, not race) is comparable to actual racist abuse, especially when on a supposed final warning? I guess it's possible Rob's not been online and the other moderators were unaware he was meant to be in the last chance saloon, but it still feels like he got off lightly in the view the warnings and bans other posters (on both sides of the debate) have recieved today on that thread.

Anyone who thinks the term "gammon" is remotely in league with the other two words he alluded to has lived a very sheletred life at best and has been lucky to never suffer or be affected by any actual racist abuse (or discriminatory abuse of any kind for that matter). People may not like the term and have valid reasons for feeling that way, but the constant need for some people to conflate that term with actual racism is downright offensive to people who actually have suffered from it.
rob

james2001 wrote: Tue 15 Jun, 2021 23.28Especially when Rob told us he was already on his final warning last week- surely that post should have been it for him? Otherwise what is the point of being on a final warning? Especially considering the other bans and warnings that have been handed out today. Someone gets banned for posting a tweet, but not for claiming a moderately insulting term (that relates to temperament, not race) is comparable to actual racist abuse, especially when on a supposed final warning?
He has now been banned for two weeks, as per forum policy.
I guess it's possible Rob's not been online and the other moderators were unaware he was meant to be in the last chance saloon, but it still feels like he got off lightly in the view the warnings and bans other posters (on both sides of the debate) have recieved today on that thread.
I can't be expected to be online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, that's why the moderators are there. I did warn the moderators that James was in the last chance saloon. In fact, I ordered instant 2 week bans for anyone breaking the rules in the GB News thread, hence yesterday's wave of bannings.

David has been a fantastic moderator so far, and although this was a rare blip, I'll sure he and us will learn from it, and move on from it.

As I said to somebody yesterday, I'm not fucking around. I'm determined to get the political discussion off TVLF one way or another, and if this is the way I have to do it, then so be it.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
Justin

Philip wrote: Tue 15 Jun, 2021 18.37
bilky asko wrote: Tue 15 Jun, 2021 16.52
Philip wrote: Tue 15 Jun, 2021 16.47

That would have been a good point. Unfortunately the post just said “I’m just going to leave this here” which doesn’t give full context and sounds a bit baity.
The tweet also gave that context and made that point.
Yes, but I just think the way the post was worded made it feel like the post was there to provoke, rather than just being part of the conversation. Not saying it warranted a ban, but I think it would have been better to say something like 'this doesn't bode well for Andrew Neil's show' or something like that.
Yep, political moderation is hard and difficult. I don't envy the moderator's jobs at the moment. That Wokewatch thing is probably a great example though of how difficult it is.

Moderators end up needing to determine the intent of the poster, whether it's malicious etc. — off arguably very little information. Was the post/tweet meant to make a point about how irrelevant the channel's programming was versus intended demographic? Was it intended to start a sparring war over politics? Potentially the latter.
rob

GhostFromTVF wrote: Tue 15 Jun, 2021 21.04 Looks like Akinbola’s found the new place.
I'm convinced it's him, but I can't get rid of him without any substantial proof.
allwillbewell

Certain users like to make unfounded allegations about the channel content. Talk about crying wolf.

To add I think I will try to get away from the thread again as it is a lot of nit picking over nothing currently.
All views are my own
Philip

I see James M is now attacking Rob on Twitter for the ban.
allwillbewell

Philip wrote: Wed 16 Jun, 2021 12.20 I see James M is now attacking Rob on Twitter for the ban.
Just saw the tweets

James, please calm down. It is just a forum. Shut down your PC for a few days and go for a walk and clear your head. That's what I do when I get forum fog. It's not worth getting worked up over.
All views are my own
rob

Philip wrote: Wed 16 Jun, 2021 12.20 I see James M is now attacking Rob on Twitter for the ban.
I was quite offended by the accusation that Brekkie has "shit" on me. That hurt, considering the fact that I was prepared to give James a clean slate when I opened the new forum.

I have said from the very start of the forum that everyone got an equal chance, regardless of what they said or did in the past. I have tried to be fair to everyone, but if you're going to continue posting crap that's got fuck all to do with television presentation, then you are not welcome on my forum.

I have suggested to Mr. Martin that if he wants to return to the forum in 2 weeks time, that he keeps his comments about other members private. I will have no hesitation whatsoever in making the ban permanent if he persists.
Jonwo

I sort of get being upset over a two week ban but it's clear it was justified in this case and perhaps as others have suggested, that some members need to either to take a break from places like TV Live Forum or just think before they post.
DTV

For reference on how unhealthy the obsession with GB News is - after less than 3 days, the thread has already reached 141 pages. The BBC National/News Channel from New Broadcasting House thread on TVF took five-and-a-half months to get to 141 pages and had only reached page 56 by this point.
Jonwo

DTV wrote: Wed 16 Jun, 2021 16.34 For reference on how unhealthy the obsession with GB News is - after less than 3 days, the thread has already reached 141 pages. The BBC National/News Channel from New Broadcasting House thread on TVF took five-and-a-half months to get to 141 pages and had only reached page 56 by this point.
TBF GB News is new and shiny, the BBC News channel isn't so it's not surprising people are posting more about it especially since it is plagued with many issues.