TV Live Forum Watch News and Information Board

james2001

allwillbewell wrote: Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12.47 It will almost certainly get worse now as the tech issues are being resolved thankfully, people are going to whine and whine because they don't want to channel to be on air, purely because they do not agree with its viewpoint. Even going out of their way to try and get it closed. One must ask why.

If the channel seriously does something that is against the rules, then Ofcom will take action. There is no need for the Twitter mob thank you.

We must allow each other to air views, if the Guardian for example wanted to make a news channel, I would wish them luck. The same with James o"Brian on LBC, I don't agree with hardly anything he says but I would not want him to lose advertisers or be taken off air.

People like James2001 would do well to remember

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

And that works both ways. Take away that right and it will not end well. But I fear they will not stop until it is too late. To add I don't think the GB News thread is going to last much longer.
What have I done wrong exactly, apart from not sharing your political viewpoint? Which is clearly a crime in your head.

If I've actually broken any forum rules and posted anything out of line, I'm sure Rob will let me know, which so far he hasn't. Otherwise it just smacks of you yourself not wanting to hear opinions you don't like- the very thing you're accusing me of.

If you don't like what I have to say, you know where the foe's list is.
TIGHazard

allwillbewell wrote: Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12.47 It will almost certainly get worse now as the tech issues are being resolved thankfully, people are going to whine and whine because they don't want to channel to be on air, purely because they do not agree with its viewpoint. Even going out of their way to try and get it closed. One must ask why.

If the channel seriously does something that is against the rules, then Ofcom will take action. There is no need for the Twitter mob thank you.

We must allow each other to air views, if the Guardian for example wanted to make a news channel, I would wish them luck. The same with James o"Brian on LBC, I don't agree with hardly anything he says but I would not want him to lose advertisers or be taken off air.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

And that works both ways. Take away that right and it will not end well. But I fear they will not stop until it is too late. To add I don't think the GB News thread is going to last much longer.
With the advertisers, while I wouldn't contact them, or Ofcom, I think they should know in these first few days that they are advertising on the channel. If they want to continue afterwards, fair play to them but if 'they are running without our consent' in these early days then they should be able to watch the content themselves and decide.

Though both sides should shut up online - it was someone complaining about 'woke boycotts' in the first place that got the first advertiser to pull out.
allwillbewell

james2001 wrote: Tue 15 Jun, 2021 13.02

What have I done wrong exactly, apart from not sharing your political viewpoint? Which is clearly a crime in your head.

If I've actually broken any forum rules and posted anything out of line, I'm sure Rob will let me know.

If you don't like what I have to say, you know where the foe's list is.
I never said you had broken a rule, or that it was a crime. Or that I did not want you to post, not sure why you assumed that.

Your post:
Also with GB news's obsession with England players taking the knee, surely that's their "free speech" and the way GB News are acting about it is a textbook example of "cancel culture".

It seems like it's only "free speech" when it's their side doing it, and only "cancel culture" when it's the other side.
I responded
With respect the discussion yesterday (I am not sure if they are still going on about it today) was regarding the right of each player to take the knee or not. Their issue was that the whole team was being requested to do it, regardless of personal choice. GB News claims they want to open up the discussion about race, so that may go well or not.

For the past year the media has been constantly reporting on taking the knee, it is not entirely surprising that GB News want to vent about it. Doing a google search for take the knee will see pages and pages of results all within the last few weeks. I will be glad it is all over on all sides and people can perhaps start being adults again.
You did not reply, and then posted
I admit I can't even understand what the issue with taking the knee is. It's basically a gesture of solidarity against marginalised and oppressed groups, and in my opinion it says everything about the people who do have issues with it.
So I think you knew what you were doing there. If that's your opinion that is fine, but I think you were trying to provoke a reaction. There are a couple of other examples somewhere.
All views are my own
allwillbewell

TIGHazard wrote: Tue 15 Jun, 2021 13.13

With the advertisers, while I wouldn't contact them, or Ofcom, I think they should know in these first few days that they are advertising on the channel. If they want to continue afterwards, fair play to them but if 'they are running without our consent' in these early days then they should be able to watch the content themselves and decide.

Though both sides should shut up online - it was someone complaining about 'woke boycotts' in the first place that got the first advertiser to pull out.
It's just funny because the cider company for example has the LGBT flag in some countries and not others. Surely if you believed in the cause you'd have it everywhere. Just shows these companies are all on the BS.
All views are my own
james2001

So you've read some intention in my posts which wasn't there and got angry I didn't directly address your reply (did I have to? Do you address every reply to your posts?). I didn't try and "provoke" anything despite what thoughts might be going off in your head.
allwillbewell

james2001 wrote: Tue 15 Jun, 2021 13.31 So you've read some intention in my posts which wasn't there and got angry I didn't directly address your reply (did I have to?).
I am not angry. If you say that wasn't your intention, then I apologise. But I would ask you to have an open mind on such matters as taking the knee. Just because someone doesn't want to do it doesn't mean there is something wrong with them. As you also seemed to suggest.

One of the first guests on GB News was John Barnes, and he thought taking the knee was an empty gesture. For show if you like. It's certainly not something I would do. I feel many people do it just under peer pressure.
All views are my own
james2001

Sorry if I have strong views on racial issues, I have plenty of family history with it. My maternal grandad was mixed race and one of the "stolen generation" (basically, the children of Aboriginal Australians were taken away from their parents and given to white families because they were considered an inferior race not fit to bring up children), and the same nearly happened to my aunt- they had to flee to the UK to stop her being taken.

That's one of the reasons why I always feel strongly on race issues and when it seems like people are being dismissive and critical of them.
TVenthusiasm2

3 bans in ONE DAY!! Also, the banned and warned tags have changed again
Justin

Solari wrote: Sun 13 Jun, 2021 12.42
allwillbewell wrote: Sun 13 Jun, 2021 12.04 Same old posters who rotted the old place are back with their agenda. Brekkie can you take a break and stop with the attacking of anyone who does not share your views.
I think that the issue is that GB News is the first TV news channel in this country that has been set up with a specific editorial viewpoint, and certainly, the first one where presenters/reporters will express their opinions. As such, we are kind of in uncharted territory - the impression I get is that (as a BIG generalisation) people on the left are terrified and think it will be Fox News UK, whereas people on the right seem to think it will be tantamount to the second coming of Jesus.
Just as a complete lurker, this is the fundamental issue. The point of GB News is to get political, not to necessarily just deliver the news - makes it different to every other UK-based news channel and therefore past presentation threads that have been around.

When that politics is often simply incorrect, factually speaking in the case of Wootton's Covid pontificating, then you have a very blurry line between what commentary on that coverage counts as political discussion or critique of a broadcaster's ability to gather news accurately.

TV Forum's moderation felt like it struck a much better balance, in terms of preventing things getting out of hand while giving people space to feel free in their conversations - though to be clear, no one is obligated to run their forum in any particular way.

My only other thing to note would be that Brekkie / mdta aren't making unconstructive points and they certainly haven't been unconstructive members in the past, in regard to their bans. There's clearly a lack of bad faith involved, as there is often associated with political discussion.
mightynine

Justin wrote: Tue 15 Jun, 2021 16.21 Just as a complete lurker, this is the fundamental issue. The point of GB News is to get political, not to necessarily just deliver the news - makes it different to every other UK-based news channel and therefore past presentation threads that have been around.

When that politics is often simply incorrect, factually speaking in the case of Wootton's Covid pontificating, then you have a very blurry line between what commentary on that coverage counts as political discussion or critique of a broadcaster's ability to gather news accurately.

TV Forum's moderation felt like it struck a much better balance, in terms of preventing things getting out of hand while giving people space to feel free in their conversations - though to be clear, no one is obligated to run their forum in any particular way. Brekkie / mdta aren't making unconstructive points and they certainly haven't been unconstructive members in the past.
Agreed. It's clear some posters actually thought they'd get news from this channel, but everything from the channel pretty much laid out what it was going to be, and news wasn't going to be top priority,

I think handing out a ban for a post about Woke Watch - which is a segment on the channel, how is that not a post about television presentation - is absurd.

If all you can post in that thread is literally just about technical issues, well then that subject has been beaten to death and the thread should be closed.
rob

mightynine wrote: Tue 15 Jun, 2021 16.29 I think handing out a ban for a post about Woke Watch - which is a segment on the channel, how is that not a post about television presentation - is absurd.
The content of that post was NOT about Woke Watch... it was about a YouGov survey about the word Woke.

Nothing to do with the discussion of the channel.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am