TV Live Forum Watch News and Information Board

Solari

allwillbewell wrote: Sun 13 Jun, 2021 12.04 Same old posters who rotted the old place are back with their agenda. Brekkie can you take a break and stop with the attacking of anyone who does not share your views.
FWIW, I completely agree with what Brekkie said; however, I also accept that it is Rob's forum, and so what he says goes. If he says no political discussion is allowed on his forum, then we have to follow that rule. It's as simple as that.

I think that the issue is that GB News is the first TV news channel in this country that has been set up with a specific editorial viewpoint, and certainly, the first one where presenters/reporters will express their opinions. As such, we are kind of in uncharted territory - the impression I get is that (as a BIG generalisation) people on the left are terrified and think it will be Fox News UK, whereas people on the right seem to think it will be tantamount to the second coming of Jesus. Personally, I think that there has been a lot of hysteria about the channel on both sides - and I say this as someone who is left cold by many of the people GB News has hired. I certainly see it as no coincidence that there will be a lot of pro-Brexit/pro-Union voices on there. Alas, we shall see from tonight what it will really be like.
MatthewOF

Disappointing to see the GB News thread continue with problematic posts from the same users of Johhnyboy, Brekkie, etc. Hope it improves when the channel launches tonight
allwillbewell

Solari wrote: Sun 13 Jun, 2021 12.42
allwillbewell wrote: Sun 13 Jun, 2021 12.04 Same old posters who rotted the old place are back with their agenda. Brekkie can you take a break and stop with the attacking of anyone who does not share your views.
FWIW, I completely agree with what Brekkie said; however, I also accept that it is Rob's forum, and so what he says goes. If he says no political discussion is allowed on his forum, then we have to follow that rule. It's as simple as that.

I think that the issue is that GB News is the first TV news channel in this country that has been set up with a specific editorial viewpoint, and certainly, the first one where presenters/reporters will express their opinions. As such, we are kind of in uncharted territory - the impression I get is that (as a BIG generalisation) people on the left are terrified and think it will be Fox News UK, whereas people on the right seem to think it will be tantamount to the second coming of Jesus. Personally, I think that there has been a lot of hysteria about the channel on both sides - and I say this as someone who is left cold by many of the people GB News has hired. I certainly see it as no coincidence that there will be a lot of pro-Brexit/pro-Union voices on there. Alas, we shall see from tonight what it will really be like.
Brekkie and the person he was supporting were trying to bait and attention seeking in my option. The last paragraph was pure political attack
GB News appears to be making no effort at all to be a plurality of views and voices. Which immediately makes me feel dismissive of the whole endeavour and everyone involved. And I was hopeful there may be some balance, because I am curious - being a Londoner - what this supposedly ignored other part of the country has to say. (not just the right wingers who have IMO made this country, heck this world, an unpleasant place to live in since Brexit, and Austerity, and Trump.)
GB News is going to be a disappointment to both sides, and I am sure there will be much crying.
All views are my own
Solari

allwillbewell wrote: Sun 13 Jun, 2021 12.59

Brekkie and the person he was supporting were trying to bait and attention seeking in my option. The last paragraph was pure political attack
GB News appears to be making no effort at all to be a plurality of views and voices. Which immediately makes me feel dismissive of the whole endeavour and everyone involved. And I was hopeful there may be some balance, because I am curious - being a Londoner - what this supposedly ignored other part of the country has to say. (not just the right wingers who have IMO made this country, heck this world, an unpleasant place to live in since Brexit, and Austerity, and Trump.)
GB News is going to be a disappointment to both sides, and I am sure there will be much crying.
Brekkie and Martin are perfectly entitled to their opinions. Whether or not TV Live Forum is the place to express those opinions is, of course, a completely different matter, and one for Rob and the mods to decide - not us. I hope you are right that GB News will be nothing like Fox News. Again, though, we will just have to wait and see.
allwillbewell

Solari wrote: Sun 13 Jun, 2021 13.05
allwillbewell wrote: Sun 13 Jun, 2021 12.59

Brekkie and Martin are perfectly entitled to their opinions. Whether or not TV Live Forum is the place to express those opinions is, of course, a completely different matter, and one for Rob and the mods to decide - not us. I hope you are right that GB News will be nothing like Fox News. Again, though, we will just have to wait and see.
That is impossible as unlike in the US, UK broadcasters have to be far stricter and impartial. A point I made way way back in the GB News thread but it mostly was not taken in. I think it is easier for people to invent boogie men who are coming to get them in order to justify their beliefs.
All views are my own
all new Phil

I did read a comment about GB News that those who want it to be Fox News, and those who claim it will be like Fox News, will both be disappointed. I certainly don’t think those who are frothing at the mouth replying to everything Beth Rigby and Laura Kuennsberg tweet with references to GB News will be satisfied when it is finally on screen.

I’m intrigued and will tune in to see what it’s all about. If it’s positive, like they claim it will be, I may watch it some more. If it becomes a series of rants about how shite / woke everything is, I probably won’t and I’ll just get on with my life. That’s about the extent to which I care about it and I can’t understand why anybody needs to have a view different to that.
Martin Phillp

I expect that like the London Live launch thread on TVF, it'll be a dud and then everyone moves on.
TVF's London Lite.
DTV

Martin Phillp wrote: Sun 13 Jun, 2021 15.59 I expect that like the London Live launch thread on TVF, it'll be a dud and then everyone moves on.
I agree it'll be a dud, although I expect it'll last a while - a combination of not being able to admit defeat and, although profit isn't the point, there is a point when the lossmaking will outweigh anything else.

My policy with threads like GBN, GMB and anything involving the BBC in abstract terms is just never to visit as I know that they just turn into cesspools, but obviously it would be bizarre not to have them and to just cut out an entire channel from a TV presentation discussion forum. Maybe there should be a GB News presentation and GB News general thread - with nobody but those wanting an argument visiting the latter. It may violate the no political discussion rule, but such discussion is somewhat inevitable and it may be better to just provide an outlet and separate it from the actual pres talk.
Jonwo

I really don't get why despite being told numerous times that political discussion is not allowed why certain posters keep insisting on breaking that rule. It's really not that difficult.
Philip

Jonwo wrote: Sun 13 Jun, 2021 19.39 I really don't get why despite being told numerous times that political discussion is not allowed why certain posters keep insisting on breaking that rule. It's really not that difficult.
It's not, but it's also really weird to discuss a TV news channel with a clear political viewpoint, and ignore that entirely.

Whilst Martin's post was against the rules, I thought the moderator David's response was strangely aggressive, and something which didn't need to be done publicly.

I still suggest moving the GB News thread post-launch to Metropol.
allwillbewell

When people post political claims about things I feel obliged to speak up. I guess it's a deadly spiral but I try to get my point across without mentioning a person or party.
All views are my own