I still don't get twitter

tightrope78

I've been a Twitter user for around 11 years and I've managed work Twitter accounts for the past five years. In that time I have generally enjoyed it. I've made some fantastic friends who I now count as genuine 'real life' friends. When you meet a Twitter person in real life, and you've had an online 'friendship' with them for a number of years, it's quite exhilarating.

It is what you make it. I follow generally LGBT, Eurovision and pop culture people and topics. 'Gay' Twitter can be such fun when discussing things like Drag Race, Eurovision, It's A Sin etc. The problem is that now every topic invariably turns to politics, with no room for opposing viewpoints. Needless to say the vast majority of people I follow have very different political viewpoints to myself. That's fine but unfortunately in this world of 'woke' politics and virtue signalling people can't seem to leave politics at the door. I didn't follow them to have their politics shoved down my throat!

I kinda gave up on Twitter at Christmas. The combined menace of Christmas, Brexit, COVID and the closure of the port of Dover had many of my followers predicting mass riots and civil war in the UK (primarily due to their absolute hatred of the Tories and/or Brexit). Since then I rarely post and can go days without looking near it.

This week is the first time I've saw people starting to spam their Instagram stories with posts about politics, in this instance the policing bill. If Instagram goes the same way, and generally it is a very nice community to hang out in, then I'll be gone.