Coronavirus - Strange times

thegeek

scottishtv wrote: Tue 23 Feb, 2021 23.43Unfortunately when the UK Government started to use Hands, Face, Space the Scottish Government doubled-down on trying to make their FACTS acronym stick. And no, I can't remember it.
Hands, Face, Space may be catchy, but it puts the emphasis in completely the wrong order - surface transmission has long been known to be low risk, yet there are still people at my work who bring up gloves as an appropriate mitigation...
JoshX

It's interesting how one minute the adverts are "This is your fault! Don't get milk or you'll indirectly kill this man!" and now they are "It's okay! We can get through this together! Stay at home!"
gottago

I'd be fascinated to know how much has been spent on advertising for government Covid messaging. It's been everywhere all the time. And that's in addition to the extremely frequent UK Government ads you get in normal times.
thegeek

gottago wrote: Fri 05 Mar, 2021 17.36 I'd be fascinated to know how much has been spent on advertising for government Covid messaging. It's been everywhere all the time. And that's in addition to the extremely frequent UK Government ads you get in normal times.
It wouldn't surprise me if at least some of the ad inventory - at least in the early days - was donated or sold cheap in the absence of anyone else wanting to advertise. It's no doubt a drop in the ocean compared to what they've spent on Test & Trace contacts though.
thegeek

thegeek wrote: Tue 21 Jul, 2020 09.51
gottago wrote: Mon 20 Jul, 2020 10.26 This has popped up in the former Mothercare in Westfield Stratford. It looks a little more permanent than you'd think for something that will probably be temporary but I expect this one will be the one they wheel out in front of the press and will perhaps look a bit fancier than other centres across the country.
[...]
Mothercare was a pretty big unit, but I guess Westfield would have trouble filling it at the moment, and I doubt they're charging rent for this. The permanent bits are probably little more than the sign - I'd imagine the rest is probably furniture and divider screens usually used for mobile blood banks.

I finally got a chance to donate there today, and it is all quite temporary.

The donation chairs are set up round the corner, next to the counter which used up be home to the most shambolic click and collect operation I've ever seen. They were much better organised than the Mothercare staff ever were.
scottishtv

The overall Scottish Government ad campaign changes today from 'We Are Scotland' to 'Not Giving In', trying to keep a more positive vibe and encourage sticking to the rules as lockdown eases a little:

There's a shorter version too.
thegeek

Yeah, I quite like the vibe of that.

Rather unexpectedly, I got vaccinated the other day. The council/local NHS commissioning group had a bunch of AZ jabs to use up before switching to Pfizer the next day, and announced that they were doing walk-ins for priority groups. I guess the clinician in charge realised that this wasn't going to use them all up, so they let word get out that everyone was welcome. I got a call from someone in the queue telling me to get my arse down there, and four hours of queueing later, had a needle in my arm.

I'm feeling a wee bit guilty about having essentially skipped the list by a few months by dint of having a few hours to stand around, but on the other hand I guess they wouldn't have done it unless they thought it was the most efficient way to get the vaccines into people's arms rather than into the bin.

It was an outstandingly efficient operation though, and there were plenty of opportunities where ordinarily you'd expect pencil-necked desk jockeys at the council* to have stopped things, but just weren't a problem on the day - like an unexpected queue of 1000+ people snaking round the town square, or having to keep the library open and all the staff on past 9pm so they could get it all done. It all worked, and everyone was in a great mood about it.

* © Angry People in Local Newspapers
rob

I had my vaccination at my local Superdrug a fortnight ago. Very small space (2 rows of 5 chairs, 1 row for those waiting to go in, 1 row for those being monitored afterwards) - but it worked. Looking forward to going back on June 12th for jab number 2.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
gottago

thegeek wrote: Fri 02 Apr, 2021 21.00
I'm feeling a wee bit guilty about having essentially skipped the list by a few months by dint of having a few hours to stand around, but on the other hand I guess they wouldn't have done it unless they thought it was the most efficient way to get the vaccines into people's arms rather than into the bin.
Nothing to feel guilty about at all. Every jab brings us closer to the end of this and as you say they only would have gone in the bin otherwise. The most vulnerable have been offered jabs by now.

Was this the Walthamstow queue that I saw on Twitter? My friend was about to join but they closed off the queue after absolutely massive demand.
Pete

rob wrote: Sat 03 Apr, 2021 06.14 I had my vaccination at my local Superdrug a fortnight ago. Very small space (2 rows of 5 chairs, 1 row for those waiting to go in, 1 row for those being monitored afterwards) - but it worked. Looking forward to going back on June 12th for jab number 2.
are places like Superdrug using the wee methadone room or have they cleared some more space due to the higher number of people involved in this?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
rob

Pete wrote: Sat 03 Apr, 2021 12.09
rob wrote: Sat 03 Apr, 2021 06.14 I had my vaccination at my local Superdrug a fortnight ago. Very small space (2 rows of 5 chairs, 1 row for those waiting to go in, 1 row for those being monitored afterwards) - but it worked. Looking forward to going back on June 12th for jab number 2.
are places like Superdrug using the wee methadone room or have they cleared some more space due to the higher number of people involved in this?
Basically, yes. The vaccination area is right at the back of the store, so there's not much space to move about.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am