Coronavirus - Strange times

JAS84

JAS84

Shouldn't that lockdown mean non-essential retailers have to close? Why, then, is Max Spielmann still open? They're a photography shop, they're non-essential.
bilky asko

JAS84 wrote: Sat 07 Nov, 2020 13.57 Shouldn't that lockdown mean non-essential retailers have to close? Why, then, is Max Spielmann still open? They're a photography shop, they're non-essential.
Do they offer essential services? Being part of the Timpson group, if they offer (for example) dry cleaning, that is classed as essential and they can remain open.
Alexia

cwathen wrote: Tue 27 Oct, 2020 20.34 Really? That's reality Will. Its not always pleasant. The fact that we've escalated anything that might cause a Covid death up to the level of being tantamount to genocide and which must be protected against at any cost, whilst writing off the damage being caused in that pursuit as being an unfortunate secondary concern irrespective of the fact that it will (and undoubtedly has) caused unnecessary death is the grimmest thing I've ever experienced society do in my life, never mind this bloody forum!
I will treat anyone who doesn't wear a mask or social distance the same way I will treat someone who is knowingly HIV+ who refuses to wear a condom. With contempt, disdain and disgust.
cwathen

Alexia wrote: Sat 07 Nov, 2020 23.01 I will treat anyone who doesn't wear a mask or social distance the same way I will treat someone who is knowingly HIV+ who refuses to wear a condom. With contempt, disdain and disgust.
I think there is a huge gulf between being anti mask and anti lockdown and to claim otherwise is a ridiculous over-simplification of the argument.

I have doubts as to how effective masks really are, but I'll still wear one and will carry on wearing one for as long as is necessary. Ultimately if they turn out to have been a waste of time, no harm will have been done. I will also practice reasonable social distancing in terms of giving space. Both of these measures are proportionate. But I can do that and still believe that stronger measures are disproportionately damaging and shouldn't be pursued.

As is sadly the case all too often now, society seems to feel the need to dumb everything down to two all or nothing viewpoints. Hence people who don't believe in lockdowns are too often being painted as anti-mask conspiracy theorist Covid-deniers who are little better than murderers by those who support strong restrictions. I don't doubt the same biases exist in the other direction. As ever, reality is far more nuanced than that.
WillPS

Alexia wrote: Sat 07 Nov, 2020 23.01
cwathen wrote: Tue 27 Oct, 2020 20.34 Really? That's reality Will. Its not always pleasant. The fact that we've escalated anything that might cause a Covid death up to the level of being tantamount to genocide and which must be protected against at any cost, whilst writing off the damage being caused in that pursuit as being an unfortunate secondary concern irrespective of the fact that it will (and undoubtedly has) caused unnecessary death is the grimmest thing I've ever experienced society do in my life, never mind this bloody forum!
I will treat anyone who doesn't wear a mask or social distance the same way I will treat someone who is knowingly HIV+ who refuses to wear a condom. With contempt, disdain and disgust.
Can't we just be nice to one another? Respect one-and-other's anxieties, accept that sometimes distancing isn't easy or is easy to forget and the same applies to mask-wearing?

Seeing the whole world in such a binary fashion isn't good.
Please Respond