Coronavirus - Strange times

tightrope78

gottago wrote: Sat 20 Jun, 2020 17.52
tightrope78 wrote: Sat 20 Jun, 2020 17.11 I’m impressed with the efficiency of the test. We got our results back this afternoon - negative. From test to results it was no more than 26 hours. I do question having been offered the test though. It seems like testing for the sake of it! And to help fiddle the government’s figures.
What's wrong with testing for the sake of it? Stops people who don't have symptoms but do have the virus from spreading it. They should absolutely roll out mass testing as quickly as possible to stop the spread as other countries have done.
I participate in the app and took a test when I had the opportunity. I was happy to do so. I have volunteered for the antibody test also. I support as much testing as possible.
cdd

tightrope78 wrote: Sat 20 Jun, 2020 18.00I have volunteered for the antibody test also. I support as much testing as possible.
I think antibody testing will be popular (dating apps will need a new profile field) but beyond satisfying curiosity I'm not clear on what it gains us since it doesn't prove immunity and it doesn't prove exposure beyond setting a lower bound.

I understand the value of it within in a coordinated approach like the ONS infection survey since that data is comparative as much as absolute but beyond what's needed for that antigen testing seems like where our efforts should be focused.

If the app ever takes off the unavoidable false positives will mean we need a lot more testing capacity and I suspect also a lower-hassle approach for those who have been pinged but aren't symptomatic. (I'm suspicious that the lack of testing capacity is what is behind the app delays).
tightrope78

cdd wrote: Sat 20 Jun, 2020 19.55
tightrope78 wrote: Sat 20 Jun, 2020 18.00I have volunteered for the antibody test also. I support as much testing as possible.
I think antibody testing will be popular (dating apps will need a new profile field) but beyond satisfying curiosity I'm not clear on what it gains us since it doesn't prove immunity and it doesn't prove exposure beyond setting a lower bound.

I understand the value of it within in a coordinated approach like the ONS infection survey since that data is comparative as much as absolute but beyond what's needed for that antigen testing seems like where our efforts should be focused.

If the app ever takes off the unavoidable false positives will mean we need a lot more testing capacity and I suspect also a lower-hassle approach for those who have been pinged but aren't symptomatic. (I'm suspicious that the lack of testing capacity is what is behind the app delays).
That’s the exact point I was trying to make. Thank you. There was nothing systematic and planned about how I got a test. I self selected due to my app usage. With only 2000+ users in NI anybody reporting any deviation in symptoms will be likely offered a test. I was glad to do it, and felt it was important to do so. I’d rather a more robust system was set up though.
thegeek

Surely if you test enough people - symptomatic or not - then it becomes a statistically significant sample, and a useful measure of current infection rates. The problem is that we've been on the back foot from the start and have no idea how the virus did spread and what kind of behaviour led to record outbreaks.

I'm a blood donor and a couple of years ago took part in a study to measure the effects of donating more regularly. Because they've got records of my past health (and some historic blood samples) they've invited the same study group to do regular Covid antigen and antibody testing, which could be a useful way to track future outbreaks.
cdd

thegeek wrote: Sun 21 Jun, 2020 19.56 Surely if you test enough people - symptomatic or not - then it becomes a statistically significant sample, and a useful measure of current infection rates.
My point was confined to antibody testing - we don't know how many people develop antibodies after exposure so the best it can tell us is the minimum % who have been exposed, it doesn't inform us of the upper bound. In time we may find the relationship between observed prevalence and real exposure but at the moment it's like plotting numbers on a graph without a labelled axis which makes it a weak tool.

I can see the merit in collecting some data from a random + statistically significant sample since the data is somewhat useful in comparison with the same data from other dates/regions, but beyond that, given that resources are limited and intensive antigen testing of the symptomatic gets us the same info at least 28 days sooner, I don't understand why we're focusing on it.
james2001

There's a lot of supposition right now that t-cells have a lot to do with fighting this virus and creating immunity, so antibodies are only part of the story when it comes to finding who's had it and who may be immune.
JAS84

The 2 metre rule is getting eased and some things will reopen on 4th July, including hairdressers and pubs.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53152416
Philip

Anyone off to the pub then?
dosxuk

No chance.

They're going to be full of the one-a-year, mad Friday / New Year's Eve drinkers by 12.30, with fighting in the street by 2 (probably over someone coming within 1.98m of someone else, or for having colours on their face mask suggesting they support the wrong football team).

Although according to the council up here, every pub is fully coated in coronavirus and we will catch it if we go in, but please do come back to the city centre and spend money in the shops so we don't end up witha ghost town where we can't charge for parking.
Martin Phillp

The local Wetherspons had no queue and wasn't busy. The queue was longer for the barbers!
TVF's London Lite.
tightrope78

Pub culture is not such a big thing here in Northern Land, due to the legacy of the Troubles. I did pass a local pub today and there was loads of people stand in the middle of the street drinking. This is because the regulations for outdoors are much more relaxed. You can sit at a table outside all day if you like however indoors you need to vacate your table after 90 minutes.

What really takes the biscuit is bar staff and cafe staff wearing those stupid splash guard screens. They provide absolutely no protection from the virus on their own. Equally worrying is staff wearing medical gloves to serve you and then clean tables at the same time. Gloves are much more likely to carry any virus. Instead the staff should simply be washing their hands after each transaction.

I see Caffe Nero have a poster up proudly saying that their staff wash their hands every 30 minutes. That's about twice as long as government guidance which is to wash your hands every 15 minutes in any situation where you're in contact with others.