Coronavirus - Strange times

cdd

Pete wrote: Tue 07 Dec, 2021 17.35I think perhaps if we try to focus on some of the smaller things, like the travel tests
I’ve done quite a few of these and it’s amusing how shady some of these providers are. One called Expert Medicals has a form which has a note that it only works with Chrome, which is a blast from the past (I half expected it to say Netscape)! The test gets posted to some scruffy shop in Bradford and you get the results 9 (nine!!) days later which is really useful.

Then there are hundreds that are flat out scams, in that they take you all the way through their lengthy checkout, only to tack on a £5 shipping fee, a £10 handling fee, oh and you’d better visit their partner in a newsagents 20 miles away, or find your own stamps to send the kit back.

As I understand it there are only about 6 major testing labs in the U.K., so the offer of hundreds of companies is a nonsense.

This is arguably the genius of the new “quarantine until result” rule, as it is now in the traveller’s interest to buy a test that returns promptly.
james2001

All these "companies" are basically just middlemen syphoning off profits.

The fact it's the same tests and the same labs that the free NHS tests use, but you aren't allowed to use them for travelling, just shows you what a rip-off money making racket it is. I'm really not sure why we can't just use the NHS testing, apart from the fact that these companies are making a tidy sum out of it. And I wouldn't be suprised to find some in government are seeing some of that money.
cdd

At least with PCR testing you’re getting some work for your money.

The LFT photo upload is (was) the biggest scam of all. You are shipped an LFT kit (50p + £1 postage + £1 fulfilment), and upload it to My First Webpage with an awful form with a messed up tab order. Price = £15. Profit = £12.50. Could be scammed by anyone with about 10 seconds’ thought, so the whole thing is entirely on trust anyway.

If they really didn’t want to pay for the LFT test, they could have just applied a 50p charge on submitting the locator form, rather than forcing people via a profiteering intermediary.
Alan de Robson

I don't know what this current lot in Govt could do to make me despise and disrespect them any more than I already do but you've got to hand it to them that they keep pulling new rabbits out of the hat.
cwathen

Alan de Robson wrote: Wed 08 Dec, 2021 09.52 I don't know what this current lot in Govt could do to make me despise and disrespect them any more than I already do but you've got to hand it to them that they keep pulling new rabbits out of the hat.
Indeed. The trouble with any claims of one rule for them, one rule for us is that wherever you stand on this thing you will be incensed by it. There is no where for them to hide, no group that will agree with them. PMQs will certainly be interesting today.
james2001

Talk of introducing full on Plan B restrictions now... clearly to distract from the party debacle rather than because of public health reasons.

Not sure how they expect the public to abide by any new restrictions when the news headlines are full of the government's inability to follow the rules they set themselves. Bringing in Plan B is surely only going to make the situation and public anger worse.

Only yesterday, the government were saying no need for plan B, don't cancel parties etc., it's blatantly obvious what they're doing.
all new Phil

I don’t think the fat blancmange will get away with anything that looks like a blatant distraction from partygate. I think we’ve reached a turning point.
31mcmillens

Pfizer said Wednesday that a booster dose of its COVID-19 vaccine may protect against the new omicron variant even though the initial two doses appear significantly less effective.

Pfizer and its partner BioNTech said lab tests showed a booster dose increased by 25-fold the level of so-called neutralizing antibodies against omicron.Pfizer announced the preliminary laboratory data in a press release and it hasn't yet undergone scientific review. The companies already are working to create an omicron-specific vaccine in case it's needed. Scientists have speculated that the high jump in antibodies that comes with a third dose of COVID-19 vaccines might be enough to counter any decrease in effectiveness. Antibody levels predict how well a vaccine may prevent infection with the coronavirus but they are just one layer of the immune system's defenses. Pfizer said two doses of the vaccine may still induce protection against severe disease.
doctor appointment text reminder http://curogram.com/blog/texting-patients-appointments
"Although two doses of the vaccine may still offer protection against severe disease caused by the Omicron strain, it's clear from these preliminary data that protection is maximized with a third dose of our vaccine," Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said in a statement.
cwathen

james2001 wrote: Wed 08 Dec, 2021 11.41 Talk of introducing full on Plan B restrictions now... clearly to distract from the party debacle rather than because of public health reasons.

Not sure how they expect the public to abide by any new restrictions when the news headlines are full of the government's inability to follow the rules they set themselves. Bringing in Plan B is surely only going to make the situation and public anger worse.

Only yesterday, the government were saying no need for plan B, don't cancel parties etc., it's blatantly obvious what they're doing.
It is obviously politically motivated to try and get away from partygate. The problem is the constant posturing of the opposition is always to oppose by wanting more rather than less restrictions and it has left them in a place where even in this debacle Johnson does still have a card to play which the opposition have handed to him. The SNP government in Scotland already has plan B-like measures, as does the Labour government in Wales. The Westminster Labour MPs were screaming for plan B in October, and again when Omicron was discovered. If Johnson now does plan B, what possible reason do they have not to support it regardless of why it is being done? It's what they asked for. And you can bet if they call out Johnson for doing this for political rather than health reasons, their previous (and indeed, very recent) support for plan B will be thrown straight back at them.

As it is, we're again going to be in a position when the opposition to the government is the same government's back benches, it will still be a huge matter of conscience to vote against their own party which few will ultimately go through with. And even if there is a large rebellion, it is still unlikely to be large enough to overturn the majority, particularly when to date Labour may have abstained on occasion but they have never voted against any restrictions. So plan B is a done deal if Johnson wants it and it probably will deliver him out of this mess due to the opposition's failure to remember what they are there for.

If we had an effective opposition which represented the other side of the coin then we may not be in this mess, but we don't.

The only hope is that letters have started to be sent to the 1922 and Johnson will at some point be removed (I think Sunak is already on manoeuvres in that department with his public commitment to tax cuts weeks after announcing tax increases), but I don't see that before the middle of next year when it will be judged to be a more favourable time for someone else to take over, and also with the hope that Johnson will by then be in more pickles that make a confidence vote more likely to be lost. Even then, the new administration would still need to be committed to not pursuing any more restrictions, which is a very big if indeed.
james2001

Plan B means I'm pretty much locked in the house due to the near universal indoor mask mandates, I've been anxious as hell all day. Certainly won't be able to attend a planned family bowling party for next week if it happens. Even with people annoyed at the government and likely to ignore restrictions, there's still too many members of the mask vigilante out there for me to feel comfortable.
james2001

One thing I'm also getting annoyed of seeing when people are jumping on Omicron, looking at the worst case scenarios and quite confidently stating it's what WILL happen and we're going to be in deep trouble in January. Even though if anything close to those scenarios were happening we'd be seeing signs of it already. The lack of scientific understanding of the Omicron antibody results really has caused a lot of hysteria and "we're back to square one", even as the experts are saying it's not too much to worry about.

I know I've said I should stop reading these forums and social media posts because of how much they're feeding my anxiety, and these people are an irrational and extreme minority, but it's hard to drag yourself away.