Coronavirus - Strange times

Martin Phillp

Sainsbury's haven't updated their POS to stop people buying more than the limit, I saw a woman buy five Carex hand soaps this afternoon.
TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil

WillPS wrote: Thu 19 Mar, 2020 14.46
all new Phil wrote: Wed 18 Mar, 2020 08.38 I don’t think it’s unreasonable for people to attempt some form of building up their supplies when there is so much uncertainty. For all the talk from supermarkets that they have enough stock and there’s no need to panic - constant empty shelves suggest otherwise. Many of us, myself included, have family members who we are concerned about.
This is exactly the mentality that perpetuates this mess.

It's totally irrational at best and selfish at worst.
It’s neither of those things. My dad is unable to leave the house. I live 2 hours drive away. Is it unreasonable to plan for potentially not being able to get to him? Normally I visit twice a week, one of which to do his shopping. I have no idea if I will have to self isolate or if there will be a curfew imposed with minimal notice between visits. Many people have very similar situations.
WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Thu 19 Mar, 2020 21.39
WillPS wrote: Thu 19 Mar, 2020 14.46
all new Phil wrote: Wed 18 Mar, 2020 08.38 I don’t think it’s unreasonable for people to attempt some form of building up their supplies when there is so much uncertainty. For all the talk from supermarkets that they have enough stock and there’s no need to panic - constant empty shelves suggest otherwise. Many of us, myself included, have family members who we are concerned about.
This is exactly the mentality that perpetuates this mess.

It's totally irrational at best and selfish at worst.
It’s neither of those things. My dad is unable to leave the house. I live 2 hours drive away. Is it unreasonable to plan for potentially not being able to get to him? Normally I visit twice a week, one of which to do his shopping. I have no idea if I will have to self isolate or if there will be a curfew imposed with minimal notice between visits. Many people have very similar situations.
Carry on buying what you need, no more, no less.

Nobody is going to starve.
Pete

"He has to be larger than bacon"
cwathen

Martin Phillp wrote: Thu 19 Mar, 2020 15.46 Sainsbury's haven't updated their POS to stop people buying more than the limit, I saw a woman buy five Carex hand soaps this afternoon.
Possibly their EPOS system doesn't support direct restrictions on item counts? The only usual restrictions are on certain medication but they flag up as needing authorisation to proceed so the issue can be dealt with then.

If that's the case, whilst it would possibly not be too difficult to implement system-driven restrictions, I imagine IT departments are not keen to be rolling out any updates to a stable platform at present in case they introduce unforeseen problems, the last thing the supermarket sector needs right now is an IT failure.
Philip

Philip wrote: Sat 14 Mar, 2020 15.09 I tried to book a restaurant for someone's birthday yesterday, but they were fully booked, so had to go elsewhere. That restaurant was also busy by the time we left around 7pm. So, like you, it feels like people should be behaving differently but it doesn't seem like it yet.
Well isn't it weird reading this now. A week later and this certainly wouldn't have happened. In fact I kept the 'You were served by…' paper which had a Mother's Day menu on the back. So that's a nice little historical document now.

I got very anxious and upset yesterday. I need to limit my exposure to the news and social media, which I already do, but even more so now.
Martin Phillp

Philip wrote: Fri 20 Mar, 2020 19.18 I got very anxious and upset yesterday. I need to limit my exposure to the news and social media, which I already do, but even more so now.
I completely understand where you're coming from on that one. It's been a hard slog since the Brexit process where being a tv pres enthusiast and a news geek have been challenging when the news content has been so hard to digest.

Most of my news content today was through listening to the 20 minute wheel on LBC News where it isn't sensationalised to make good television being a radio station where they have to paint the picture instead.

Don't get me wrong, the tv content I've seen from the UK providers has been good, but this crisis has been even worse than Brexit to digest on a regular basis.
TVF's London Lite.
tch999

Martin Phillp wrote: Sat 21 Mar, 2020 02.03
I completely understand where you're coming from on that one. It's been a hard slog since the Brexit process where being a tv pres enthusiast and a news geek have been challenging when the news content has been so hard to digest.

Most of my news content today was through listening to the 20 minute wheel on LBC News where it isn't sensationalised to make good television being a radio station where they have to paint the picture instead.

Don't get me wrong, the tv content I've seen from the UK providers has been good, but this crisis has been even worse than Brexit to digest on a regular basis.
I’ve started limited my news intake to the bulletins on BBC One. It’s very easy just to stick the news channel on as background any time during the day, but as a rolling news channel, they’re just repeating the same information on a loop and it soon becomes stale and doesn’t do much for your state of mind.

I’ve found now that I’ve started watching just the 1, the 6 and the 10 if I’m still awake in addition to the daily Boris press conference. On that note, presumably they will be continuing tonight and Sunday? Ie they’re not just a weeknight thing?
thegeek

I usually find that the non-news content on NHK World is good for a bit of gentle inconsequential factual telly, though the other night turned it on and they were visiting people in the area evacuated after Fukushima, so it's not infallible.
all new Phil

thegeek wrote: Sat 21 Mar, 2020 15.18 I usually find that the non-news content on NHK World is good for a bit of gentle inconsequential factual telly, though the other night turned it on and they were visiting people in the area evacuated after Fukushima, so it's not infallible.
Smithsonian Channel is good for the same.
gottago

It's odd to think that just a year or so ago Deliveroo, Uber Eats and Just Eat were being blamed as one of the main reasons why the chain restaurants were failing. Now the delivery services will probably be just about the only way any of these restaurants will cling on to life.