Coronavirus - Strange times

gottago

Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 12 Jun, 2020 22.48 I'm wondering how many non-essential stores will have hand sanitiser on the door?

HMV is going to do it at the 93 English stores they're reopening on Monday, which will allow customers to handle the stock safely.
I can't believe even a global pandemic couldn't kill off HMV (yet). Although I suppose DVD sales have probably been up a bit through lockdown.
Martin Phillp

145 high street Argos stores will reopen on Monday, which have been chosen on the basis of how far away they are from an Argos concession inside Sainsbury's.

However they'll be continuing the same model since lockdown of ordering online to collect instore.
TVF's London Lite.
Andrew

Martin Phillp wrote: Sun 14 Jun, 2020 23.55 145 high street Argos stores will reopen on Monday, which have been chosen on the basis of how far away they are from an Argos concession inside Sainsbury's.

However they'll be continuing the same model since lockdown of ordering online to collect instore.
I can't imagine flicking through the communal laminated books will be reintroduced any time soon!
tightrope78

‘Social bubbles’ are the latest lockdown easing measures seemingly beyond the comprehension of most people. I thought the idea was for one person who has been isolated to join with one other small household? All I’m seeing online is people meeting up with their mates and then an hour later meeting up with another group of mates. I saw one couple I knew had met up with four groups on one day and was all talk about their ‘social bubble‘!
scottishtv

tightrope78 wrote: Mon 15 Jun, 2020 16.35I thought the idea was for one person who has been isolated to join with one other small household?
That's right - one single-person household can bubble with another household (of the normal number in that household). According to the Sunday Times, this policy came about from a single mum emailing Dominic Cumming's wife, who told Dom, who then got Boris to announce it. The Cabinet apparently weren't told in advance.

As for today, all this chat of a "big opening up" (in England) seems overblown. People will go to the shops for something to do - sure, but I'm doubtful about some big economic boost. Rishi Sunak claimed yesterday that people had been saving up their cash, and asked, “Are the animal spirits for us to get back to our high streets in the way that we used to?”.

Surely the chancellor realises we've been going to high street shops less and less for years?! I'm sure the last few months will have seen even more converts to online shopping.
tightrope78

scottishtv wrote: Mon 15 Jun, 2020 17.04
tightrope78 wrote: Mon 15 Jun, 2020 16.35I thought the idea was for one person who has been isolated to join with one other small household?
That's right - one single-person household can bubble with another household (of the normal number in that household). According to the Sunday Times, this policy came about from a single mum emailing Dominic Cumming's wife, who told Dom, who then got Boris to announce it. The Cabinet apparently weren't told in advance.

As for today, all this chat of a "big opening up" (in England) seems overblown. People will go to the shops for something to do - sure, but I'm doubtful about some big economic boost. Rishi Sunak claimed yesterday that people had been saving up their cash, and asked, “Are the animal spirits for us to get back to our high streets in the way that we used to?”.

Surely the chancellor realises we've been going to high street shops less and less for years?! I'm sure the last few months will have seen even more converts to online shopping.
To be fair the concept of ‘social bubbles’ came from New Zealand, where it worked really well. Of course people there were doing it properly unlike people in England and NI (where I’m from) where it’s just an excuse for a piss up with your mates.

There’s an interview with Mary Portas on the BBC website where she says this is an opportunity for the local high street but that the city centre is dead. And I agree. Without the footfall of office workers etc I know Belfast City centre will die. Despite the media coverage of queues at the shops when they opened on Friday morning the truth is the city centre has been empty since. Shopping is more than spending money, it’s an experience, and whilst the experience is so grim (social distancing, hand washing) then casual shoppers will stay clear of city centres.
Dr Lobster*

One of the things I can’t understand is face coverings...

I assume WHO and the government are just going along with telling people to wear them for psychology reasons only?

I mean, surely if you can smell the fart which came from the man standing in front you through your face covering, it is going to offer little in the way of protection against coronavirus?
tightrope78

Dr Lobster* wrote: Mon 15 Jun, 2020 20.13 One of the things I can’t understand is face coverings...

I assume WHO and the government are just going along with telling people to wear them for psychology reasons only?

I mean, surely if you can smell the fart which came from the man standing in front you through your face covering, it is going to offer little in the way of protection against coronavirus?
Yes, they offer a false sense of security. There’s really no evidence to suggest that they work in stopping the spread of the disease.

The main message, that has been missing, is the 15 minutes rule. It is likely you can only get it from someone else if you spend in excess of 15 minutes in close proximity. I don’t think this has ever been made clear. You simply can’t get it from fleeting encounters, unless someone deliberately coughs in your face.

In saying that I’m still very much in favour of the 2 metre rule. The problem will be in a few weeks when Scotland keeps the 2 metre rule and the rest of the U.K. moves to 1 metre. That will be a complete dogs dinner.
Philip

tightrope78 wrote: Mon 15 Jun, 2020 22.14The main message, that has been missing, is the 15 minutes rule. It is likely you can only get it from someone else if you spend in excess of 15 minutes in close proximity. I don’t think this has ever been made clear. You simply can’t get it from fleeting encounters, unless someone deliberately coughs in your face.
How have people been dealing with passing people on the pavement. Initially I just tried to walk in the road or as far away from the other person as possible whilst remaining on the pavement, but then got paranoid about the idea of someone eventually shouting at me for not maintaining the two metre distance even when just passing, so I now mainly cross to the other side, which feels horrible every time I do it!
gottago

Westfield Stratford was an odd experience today. About 70% of shops open, some queuing systems for the more popular shops had to be positioned some way away because there was no space any closer to the store, a lot of totally dead shops, hand sanitiser everywhere. Not a fantastically fun experience which is kind of what going to a centre like this should really be and that's only going to add to the struggles these shops have, even if they're allowed to be open now.
tightrope78

Philip wrote: Mon 15 Jun, 2020 22.45
tightrope78 wrote: Mon 15 Jun, 2020 22.14The main message, that has been missing, is the 15 minutes rule. It is likely you can only get it from someone else if you spend in excess of 15 minutes in close proximity. I don’t think this has ever been made clear. You simply can’t get it from fleeting encounters, unless someone deliberately coughs in your face.
How have people been dealing with passing people on the pavement. Initially I just tried to walk in the road or as far away from the other person as possible whilst remaining on the pavement, but then got paranoid about the idea of someone eventually shouting at me for not maintaining the two metre distance even when just passing, so I now mainly cross to the other side, which feels horrible every time I do it!
That’s been mostly our policy. We either move to the edge of the pavement in single file or, if it’s safe, walk in the cycle lane on the edge of the road. As time has went on fewer people are now observing this sort of etiquette and are walking two and three abreast. Occasionally I do make a point of completely stopping and moving into a space to let someone pass if it is obvious they are not planning to observe social distancing.

A few weeks ago we were shouted at by an elderly lady for passing her. We had left at least 2 minutes but this was still too close for her!