7%

Total votes: 45
dosxuk

Mon 25 Feb, 2019 20.15

Jamesypoo wrote:
Mon 25 Feb, 2019 16.48
cdd wrote:
Mon 25 Feb, 2019 13.31
the Remain campaign should really have made a stronger case out of these facts.
The remain campaign, otherwise known as "the agents of project fear"...

They tried to (evidently not very successfully) but just got accused of scaremongering by the leave side, who would of course never do such a thing!
I said in the aftermath of the referendum that I thought the leave campaign, with its lies, mistruths, dog whistle slogans and plain old ignorance of the real world was only the second worst political campaign ever. After the remain campaign. The remain campaign either didn't bother to turn up, or focused on all the what-if negatives. They never mentioned any of the good things the EU do. They never mentioned all the things we take for granted that the EU provides. And they never once managed to get a way of pointing out that leave had no plan without that being immediately hushed over by their opponents.

If remain had even bothered to talk to the public, rather than trying to come up with something more extreme every time they got accused of creating project fear, brexit would have been forgotten by now. Instead, Cameron and Osborne thought it was unloseable so let everyone have a day off rather than go out to battle.
Alexia

Mon 25 Feb, 2019 20.30

cdd wrote:
Mon 25 Feb, 2019 13.31
But I find it astonishing that, in the face of all this evidence, the opinion of those who were strongly in favour of Brexit has become even more strongly in favour.
Comes down to one thing. Or rather two : people won't admit they've been duped, or rather people won't admit that even though they have been duped they're still not wrong. People hate belonging to the wrong, losing side.
cwathen

Wed 27 Feb, 2019 21.13

dosxuk wrote:
Mon 25 Feb, 2019 20.15
Jamesypoo wrote:
Mon 25 Feb, 2019 16.48
cdd wrote:
Mon 25 Feb, 2019 13.31
the Remain campaign should really have made a stronger case out of these facts.
The remain campaign, otherwise known as "the agents of project fear"...

They tried to (evidently not very successfully) but just got accused of scaremongering by the leave side, who would of course never do such a thing!
I said in the aftermath of the referendum that I thought the leave campaign, with its lies, mistruths, dog whistle slogans and plain old ignorance of the real world was only the second worst political campaign ever. After the remain campaign. The remain campaign either didn't bother to turn up, or focused on all the what-if negatives. They never mentioned any of the good things the EU do. They never mentioned all the things we take for granted that the EU provides. And they never once managed to get a way of pointing out that leave had no plan without that being immediately hushed over by their opponents.

If remain had even bothered to talk to the public, rather than trying to come up with something more extreme every time they got accused of creating project fear, brexit would have been forgotten by now. Instead, Cameron and Osborne thought it was unloseable so let everyone have a day off rather than go out to battle.
Like x 1000. The only peep I ever got out of the remain campaign was the official government leaflet and broadcast announcements from them. Didn't see one single bit of local activism from them at all where I lived at the time. And as you say, the message was nothing other than 'we're fucked if we leave'. Not one single positively spun argument about anything good about the EU at all, just a simple message that we should accept them because we're fucked without them. Not exactly going to turn the little Englanders is it?

Yet the leave campaign were actually out on the street distributing their material, holding rallies, making their arguments on the ground...and proclaiming that we had a better future ahead outside of the EU, making leave sound like something positive.

Given that the ultimate leave result was only a very slight majority, one can only imagine how it might have gone if Remain actually campaigned rather than assuming a foregone conclusion that we'd never actually vote to leave anyway and so they didn't need to bother.
Martin Phillp

Fri 01 Mar, 2019 02.33

The official Remain campaign campaigned in my local area on the Saturday before the referendum, handing out leaflets. There were also mailouts from them and the official government booklet.

There was nothing from the official Leave campaign, although we did get mail from them.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

Fri 01 Mar, 2019 20.22

I campaigned for Stronger In during the run-up and on referendum day itself. The area (metropolitan elite Londoners) voted strongly to remain, but given it was a nationwide total it felt like a worthwhile effort to get any additional people to the polling booth.

The leaflets we had were pretty poor, but some did extol the virtues of the EU rather than rubbish the other side.
Alexia

Fri 01 Mar, 2019 22.04

The public image of RemaIN was left to c*nts like pig-shagger David Cameron and Tim "God hates Gays" Farron and effective political performers who sadly were also divisive figures like Gordon Brown, Caroline Lucas and Nicola Sturgeon. Nowhere to be seen were Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn, and when Magic Grandad did show up, his support was so lukewarm that it could easily have been mistaken for reluctance. He's currently taking such a similarly effective line on the rampant anti-semitism in his party.

Let's face it folks, our best hopes right now lie with the neo SDP who count soulless Tories, Iraq War supporters and is led by Chuka "Yawn" Umunna.

When's the next flight to Sweden?
MarkAshley

Sun 03 Mar, 2019 04.13

Alexia wrote:
Fri 01 Mar, 2019 22.04
Tim "God hates Gays" Farron
God's not the only one ....
gottago

Sun 03 Mar, 2019 16.01

MarkAshley wrote:
Sun 03 Mar, 2019 04.13
Alexia wrote: