Intu takeover called off

Alexia

And indeed Arsenal. I don't know anyone who calls it Ashburton Grove.
thegeek

Alexia wrote: Mon 20 Aug, 2018 20.41 And indeed Arsenal. I don't know anyone who calls it Ashburton Grove.
on Champions League nights, it's referred to as The Arsenal Stadium.
JAS84

Andrew wrote: Sun 19 Aug, 2018 22.23
cyberdude wrote: Sat 18 Aug, 2018 11.03
nwtv2003 wrote: Sat 18 Aug, 2018 10.14 Does anyone ever call any of their shopping centres intu.... ? Reason I ask is that when they acquired The Trafford Centre a few years ago, it got rebranded as intu Trafford Centre, and no one I know calls it that. I’m assuming it’s not really a strong brand?

To be fair to them they haven’t really changed Trafford aside getting rid of the red dinner jackets the staff used to wear.
Nope. It's akin to when a stadium or venue gets sponsored and changes its name. Everyone just calls it by its original name.
Except at Man City

Plus also if it never had an original non branded name which most of the new stadiums built in the last 15 years haven't.
Yeah, Hull City's is called the KCOM Stadium. When it was built it was the Kingston Communications Stadium (KC changed it's name to KCOM later), so everyone calls it the KC Stadium. When under construction before KC's sponsorship was announced, it was called the Superstadium by the media, but that was never it's official name.
Andrew

The stadium in Huddersfield was known as the Kirklees Stadium during planning and construction phases.

But once it opened it was the McAlpine stadium, followed by the Galpharm and now the John Smiths, and everyone unless it’s a slip of the tongue always calls it the latest sponsored name.
Alexia

The Principality Stadium is still called the Millennium, or even Cardiff Arms Park, by many who think the term Principality is outdated and disrespectful.
scottishtv

Still not that intu you.

Unconnected to Intu - but in other silly names news, I see Edinburgh's Ocean Terminal is to try and refocus on becoming a designer outlet, complete with proposed name change to Porta.
Pete

scottishtv wrote: Thu 29 Nov, 2018 14.25 Still not that intu you.

Unconnected to Intu - but in other silly names news, I see Edinburgh's Ocean Terminal is to try and refocus on becoming a designer outlet, complete with proposed name change to Porta.
Ocean Terminal really is shite though, I just don't get it, there's something that's just utterly rubbish about it
"He has to be larger than bacon"
scottishtv

From The Times business section:
The Times wrote:Shareholders in Intu Properties face being wiped out after the owner of some of Britain’s biggest shopping centres was forced to scrap a £1.5 billion emergency fundraising.

Intu shares fell by more than 40 per cent after it said that it had not been able to secure the funding needed to reduce its £4.5 billion debts.

The company employs about 2,500 people and owns nine of the UK’s top twenty shopping centre, including the Trafford Centre in Manchester and Lakeside in Essex.

Intu said yesterday that the fundraising had been scuppered by uncertainty in the equity markets and retail property investment markets. As a consequence, its annual results, which have been delayed until next week, will include a warning that there is “material uncertainty” about the company’s ability to continue as a going concern.
It's a very complex accounting situation, but it looks like they will try to sell some centres if they can. More in this FT piece (top of the results page).

I like the comment that the company be rebranded "dustintu".
WillPS

If ever a shopping centre operator deserved to fail, it's Intu. Their refurbishments and extensions are incredibly bland and seriously lack ambition. In Nottingham they've totally abused their position in the market (operating both shopping centres) and have essentially killed one entire end of town, leaving the town stacked up around their restricted claustrophobic 60s hellhole.

Plus the brand is absolutely stupid.
Martin Phillp

Lakeside in Essex used to be one of the best shopping centres in the South East, then a combination of intu and rival Bluewater in Kent came along and it's nowhere as good as it used to be. It was a real destination to go to from London.

Londoners now use the two Westfield centres in White City and Stratford instead.
TVF's London Lite.