The official recipe box and door to door selling thread

thegeek

We occasionally give Hello Fresh and its ilk a go for a week at a time - it takes a lot of the faff out of meal planning, especially when we've got busy week and are getting a bit bored of the same old standby recipes. Having a few of the week's meals just turn up and be ready to go is a great help.

(I do have the occasional worry about the carbon footprint of all the packaging for single-serve items and of the delivery process, etc)
Philip

Amazing how your post is almost word for word like this one from Dr Lobster three years ago…

viewtopic.php?t=7116
WillPS

Philip wrote: Wed 28 Apr, 2021 12.49 Amazing how your post is almost word for word like this one from Dr Lobster three years ago…

viewtopic.php?t=7116
Ah damn, bloody spam bot
Pete

WillPS wrote: Wed 28 Apr, 2021 13.10
Philip wrote: Wed 28 Apr, 2021 12.49 Amazing how your post is almost word for word like this one from Dr Lobster three years ago…

viewtopic.php?t=7116
Ah damn, bloody spam bot
Still, its an interesting topic so I've binned our Vietnamese friend and merged this into Lobster's original
"He has to be larger than bacon"
scottishtv

When I was a student, a flatmate of mine changed our gas/electric supplier to Scottish Gas (British Gas) based on a door-to-door salesman's patter. The tariffs were much more expensive than the carefully selected supplier I'd previously chosen, so thankfully it could be undone over the phone later during the cooling off period. She also paid £30 to a chap going door to door selling books of discount vouchers for Papa John's pizza - which was then pinned to our kitchen noticeboard and was very rarely used for the rest of the year. That was really odd, and often the local outlet was running better offers than those she bought...

As for the food delivery boxes, I've been tempted by Hello Fresh and Pasta Evangelists but not taken the plunge. I think it's mainly down to the fact the supermarket shop has been a highlight of the week for the last few months. I could see myself trying out one or two as a bit of a treat, but a bit like those Graze boxes that were a fad in my office years ago, I suspect the novelty will wear off. I notice you can also get one at the moment that'll serve you BA flight food at home...

I've not taken the plunge on a wine club either, but my consumption has gone up a bit during lockdown - I'm just so wary of knowing what's actually good value. Virgin Wines email me a lot and I am a bit tempted - but as usual, the best offers are in the monthly subscription packages as opposed to a mixed case here and there.