"Select Convenience" from Bargain Booze?

Finn

Over the weekend, our local SPAR (which has only been open a couple of years) has rebranded as a Select Convenience from Bargain Booze store.

This is a new one on me. A new player in the convenience store / mutual banding together thing?

all new Phil

Nah it's not new, there's been one near my work for a few years. The quality is about what you would expect.
Adders

It was so strange seeing that place become a convenience store in the first place - wasn't it originally a pharmacy and a fishing tackle shop?

I vaguely remember popping into the new Spar once when it opened but I wasn't particularly enthused by it. It's got a lot of competition with Best One at the top of the road, and the newsagent next to the Chinese - maybe it's struggling to get the footfall so Spar decided to get rid of it?
thegeek

I thought shopkeepers chose to join a symbol group, so perhaps Bargain Booze offered a better deal?

We have a Bargain Food & Wine near us - same branding, but with a smaller Bargain Booze logo in the window. Also an incredibly posh Spar which has its own wood-fired pizza oven and sells loads of organic stuff and a really great selection of local craft beer.
Andrew

It's not new, its just a Bargain Booze that isn't just booze. Isn't there a "Bargain Booze Plus" as well?

I do laugh at some of these convenience store names you get. The Likes of "Go Local Extra" yet there is no such thing as a "Go Local" so what's extra about it?
Finn

Adders wrote: Tue 11 Jul, 2017 07.35 It was so strange seeing that place become a convenience store in the first place - wasn't it originally a pharmacy and a fishing tackle shop?

I vaguely remember popping into the new Spar once when it opened but I wasn't particularly enthused by it. It's got a lot of competition with Best One at the top of the road, and the newsagent next to the Chinese - maybe it's struggling to get the footfall so Spar decided to get rid of it?
You must be fairly local to me then ;)

The newsagent next to the Chinese shut not long after the then Spar opened. I have a sneaking suspicion that they were both owned by the same people.

There are a few corner stores near to it. One up Moss Rd towards Trafford Park station, one on Moss Road towards the park and a couple on Park Rd within a short walk as well.
Finn

Andrew wrote: Tue 11 Jul, 2017 20.31 It's not new, its just a Bargain Booze that isn't just booze. Isn't there a "Bargain Booze Plus" as well?
Interesting that there's a Bargain Booze a couple of hundred yards away up towards the A56.
bilky asko

Andrew wrote: Tue 11 Jul, 2017 20.31 It's not new, its just a Bargain Booze that isn't just booze. Isn't there a "Bargain Booze Plus" as well?

I do laugh at some of these convenience store names you get. The Likes of "Go Local Extra" yet there is no such thing as a "Go Local" so what's extra about it?
Except there are Go Local branded stores - here's one in Doncaster: https://g.co/kgs/xDZm2o

And here's the website promoting it: http://www.golocalstores.co.uk/

They come in three tiers - Go Local, Go Local Plus (whose branding doesn't appear to differ to Go Local), and Go Local Extra.

More info: http://www.parfetts.co.uk/golocalretailclub