The Very Official McDonalds (and other fast food outlets) Thread

thegeek

Martin Phillp wrote: Sun 29 Aug, 2021 22.29 Wendy's 2nd restaurant has opened in East London at the Broadway Shopping centre in Stratford.

https://www.timeout.com/london/news/a-f ... 1630078908

The next three restaurants to open will be in Oxford, Croydon and Romford.
Apparently the queue yesterday afternoon stretched all the way over the town centre link bridge to Westfield.
Pete

Jacket wrote: Mon 30 Aug, 2021 04.03 Tried to order a hamburger at Burger King yesterday, only to be told they no longer have a Saver Menu because of Covid. "The only way to get a hamburger is to buy a kid's meal."

So... they have the burgers but selling one to me without fries and a Capri-Sun is somehow impossible. What a world!
I'm still confused as to why covid means Dominos can't make a half and half pizza
"He has to be larger than bacon"
gottago

Pete wrote: Mon 30 Aug, 2021 09.15 I'm still confused as to why covid means Dominos can't make a half and half pizza
This is supposedly why:
https://thetab.com/uk/2021/06/24/we-fou ... vid-212125
all new Phil

I think essentially Covid has been a great excuse for companies to do away with things they can’t be arsed doing / stocking any more.

Doing away with cash has been great for us in my work. Other than the occasional wibblers who kick up a fuss, it’s miles easier, has reduced queuing time, pretty much eliminates risk and fraud, saves time cashing in and banking, no more cost through secure cash pickups etc. We went cashless for Covid but why go back? 🤷‍♂️
JAS84

Jacket wrote: Mon 30 Aug, 2021 04.03 Tried to order a hamburger at Burger King yesterday, only to be told they no longer have a Saver Menu because of Covid. "The only way to get a hamburger is to buy a kid's meal."

So... they have the burgers but selling one to me without fries and a Capri-Sun is somehow impossible. What a world!
So they're refusing to sell what should be one of their staple lines? That makes zero sense. I can understand a smaller menu, but you cut the extras, not the items which are included in their version of a Happy Meal. For example, if they didn't have the Bacon Double Cheeseburger, that's understandable, but the basic Hamburger? That certainly is not.

McDonalds started their yearly Monopoly promotion last week - five months later than planned due to COVID. As a result, all vouchers expiry dates are five months and one day later than what's printed.
Jonwo

I think a lot of chains won't go completely cashless but they'll make it harder for people to use cash as an option.
BBC TV Centre

all new Phil wrote: Mon 30 Aug, 2021 11.06 I think essentially Covid has been a great excuse for companies to do away with things they can’t be arsed doing / stocking any more.

Doing away with cash has been great for us in my work. Other than the occasional wibblers who kick up a fuss, it’s miles easier, has reduced queuing time, pretty much eliminates risk and fraud, saves time cashing in and banking, no more cost through secure cash pickups etc. We went cashless for Covid but why go back? 🤷‍♂️
"Because covid" seems to be the catch all excuse to trim back levels of service.

I was in Ikea yesterday and there was a sign advising they were no longer doing drink refills for both hot and cold "because covid".

No-one was enforcing, and I think most just went and refilled anyway, just seems a completely pointless exercise and makes it look consumer-unfriendly. They've also bumped the cost up with a 20p hike to the cost of the tea (£1 before covid).

Our local HSBC branch was open Saturdays until 2pm before covid. Then, it cut the opening hours to between 10 and 2pm M-F "because covid". It's now closed completely and the windows are covered in whitewash.

Certainly don't disagree that removing cash has time and therefore money saving for the business. Plus also it is 2021, who ever uses cash these days?
Joe

I must admit that I worry about those for whom cash is essential. And I don’t mean luddites, but those who sleep rough, those who aren’t able to use debit cards due to a history of bad spending, those who maybe rely on a cash system to budget effectively. There are many fringe cases and it often those with not much of a voice most affected.
Jonwo

Joe wrote: Mon 30 Aug, 2021 20.18 I must admit that I worry about those for whom cash is essential. And I don’t mean luddites, but those who sleep rough, those who aren’t able to use debit cards due to a history of bad spending, those who maybe rely on a cash system to budget effectively. There are many fringe cases and it often those with not much of a voice most affected.
Surely those people will have to adapt to survive? I know in China, you can give to the homeless via WeChat Pay or AliPay.
Martin Phillp

thegeek wrote: Mon 30 Aug, 2021 07.21
Martin Phillp wrote: Sun 29 Aug, 2021 22.29 Wendy's 2nd restaurant has opened in East London at the Broadway Shopping centre in Stratford.

https://www.timeout.com/london/news/a-f ... 1630078908

The next three restaurants to open will be in Oxford, Croydon and Romford.
Apparently the queue yesterday afternoon stretched all the way over the town centre link bridge to Westfield.
This is why I'll be waiting a while until I can finally have a Wendy's burger for the first time in over 20 years when the novelty runs out.
TVF's London Lite.
Jonwo

I've never get why anyone would queue for hours for a burger......