The Very Official McDonalds (and other fast food outlets) Thread

Martin Phillp

Jonwo wrote: Mon 30 Aug, 2021 20.24
Joe wrote: Mon 30 Aug, 2021 20.18 I must admit that I worry about those for whom cash is essential. And I don’t mean luddites, but those who sleep rough, those who aren’t able to use debit cards due to a history of bad spending, those who maybe rely on a cash system to budget effectively. There are many fringe cases and it often those with not much of a voice most affected.
Surely those people will have to adapt to survive? I know in China, you can give to the homeless via WeChat Pay or AliPay.
I remember seeing a homeless person in London who had a contactless reader while begging. Most of them have mobile phones these days with PAYG sims which they charge up in libraries etc, so it isn't going against the grain for one or two technically minded people to use contactless readers.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Mon 30 Aug, 2021 21.28
thegeek wrote: Mon 30 Aug, 2021 07.21
Martin Phillp wrote: Sun 29 Aug, 2021 22.29 Wendy's 2nd restaurant has opened in East London at the Broadway Shopping centre in Stratford.

https://www.timeout.com/london/news/a-f ... 1630078908

The next three restaurants to open will be in Oxford, Croydon and Romford.
Apparently the queue yesterday afternoon stretched all the way over the town centre link bridge to Westfield.
This is why I'll be waiting a while until I can finally have a Wendy's burger for the first time in over 20 years when the novelty runs out.
I went to the Reading one the day it opened and waited 3 hours (not moaning, I knew what I was in for).

I went back a month-and-a-half later and waited 10 minutes to be let in.

I wasn't disappointed on either occasion either.
Martin Phillp

I noticed Wendy's in Croydon has opened and was busy for a typical pre-Christmas Saturday afternoon, but there wasn't a large queue outside the resturarant.
TVF's London Lite.
Jonwo

Has anyone tried the McPlant Burger, I've managed to try most of the vegan or vegetable options at the likes of Burger King and KFC but the McPlant has eluded me.
gottago

Martin Phillp wrote: Sat 04 Dec, 2021 20.44 I noticed Wendy's in Croydon has opened and was busy for a typical pre-Christmas Saturday afternoon, but there wasn't a large queue outside the resturarant.
I can see Wendy's flopping. I think it's trying to position itself somewhere between McDonald's and Five Guys but not sure there's much of a market for whatever that's supposed to be? I had a delivery from the Stratford one and the burger was about a pound cheaper than Five Guys but not as good. Not bad by any means but I'd just go to Five Guys if I was in the mood for that sort of thing. Also I paid £3 for 4 'chicken nuggets' which were basically 4 tiny Popcorn Chicken, a proper rip off. It currently only has 3.6 stars on Uber Eats which is low compared to equivalent chains.

Popeyes also opened a few weeks ago but the queues have constantly been huge, even on a Monday lunch, so I won't be trying that for some time.
Jonwo wrote: Sun 05 Dec, 2021 19.23 Has anyone tried the McPlant Burger, I've managed to try most of the vegan or vegetable options at the likes of Burger King and KFC but the McPlant has eluded me.
Yes and it's excellent. Tastes similar to a Big Mac. I think you'd be hard-pressed to tell that it wasn't meat. It'll be interesting to see if and when these chains start offering the option to swap out meat for veggie alternatives in their main menu items.
rdobbie

Jonwo wrote: Sun 05 Dec, 2021 19.23 Has anyone tried the McPlant Burger, I've managed to try most of the vegan or vegetable options at the likes of Burger King and KFC but the McPlant has eluded me.
No but I'm desperate to try it. I've watched loads of YouTube reviews of it, and they're overwhelmingly positive.

I love how it's loaded with lettuce, tomato, onion, gherkin, ketchup, mustard, burger sauce and "cheese" – that's a lot of stuff to mitigate against possible disappointment from the taste of the patty.

These are the branches currently selling it:

https://customerservices.mcdonalds.co.u ... available-

It goes nationwide in January.
bilky asko

Presumably, like their other burgers, you can customise away all of the accoutrements for the most authentic taste experience.
Jonwo

Tried the McPlant today and it's very nice. I agree it's very difficult to tell that it wasn't meat.
Martin Phillp

My vegan friend tried the McPlant and loved it. Again, found it hard to tell that it isn't a meat product.
TVF's London Lite.
Philip

Anyone else seen the McDonald's advert not only with a new slogan ("Change a little, change a lot") but also cycling through the various different McDonald's logos over the years?
Pete

Moving the coffee loyalty to the phone has been very effective at making it so awkward you don’t bother to use it outside the ones you get from app orders.
"He has to be larger than bacon"