***THE OFFICIAL ALL NEW SAFEWAY THREAD***

cwathen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38066990
Morrisons will re-introduce the Safeway brand to put on products it will sell wholesale to independent convenience stores as part of a 'capital-light' strategy to continue trying to find a place in the convenience sector, a year after they pulled out of it.

Let's see how long this lasts then.
Ant

cwathen wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38066990
Morrisons will re-introduce the Safeway brand to put on products it will sell wholesale to independent convenience stores as part of a 'capital-light' strategy to continue trying to find a place in the convenience sector, a year after they pulled out of it.

Let's see how long this lasts then.
I always felt it was a silly decision dropping the Safeway brand altogether.

At least it's back in some form.
Philip

Considering this is Metropol the magnitude of this news should be given its own thread!
WillPS

Sounds like they're looking to launch a One Stop style operation.
cwathen

WillPS wrote:Sounds like they're looking to launch a One Stop style operation.
You mean they might launch franchised/pseudo franchise Safeway-branded stores for independents who stock their Safeway-branded products?
WillPS

cwathen wrote:
WillPS wrote:Sounds like they're looking to launch a One Stop style operation.
You mean they might launch franchised/pseudo franchise Safeway-branded stores for independents who stock their Safeway-branded products?
Yeah plausible I reckon.
Pete

Philip wrote:Considering this is Metropol the magnitude of this news should be given its own thread!
OMG YES - AND PINNED TO THE TOP OF THE FORUM

ahem

https://www.retail-week.com/sectors/gro ... 44.article

Suggestions here that they should consider bricks and mortar. Plus the suggestion that they're perhaps going for the classier end of the convenience store market, which stocks 12 craft beers per sqm, has artisan local biscuits, yet due to the wholesalers still ends up with a load of Heritage crap for ready meals.

Apparently Spar's ready meals are very good, but this is a dedicated safeway thread so I shall take that elsewhere.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

Pete wrote:Apparently Spar's ready meals are very good, but this is a dedicated safeway thread so I shall take that elsewhere.
I think I can link that to Safeway, in that Spar's ready meals aren't a patch on Morrisons ready meals (so I would imagine any new Safeway meals will be as good). Some of them have award icons on the packaging, but I wasn't impressed with them, especially considering the high price.

Spar does have nice own brand fizzy drinks, and their cheese is rather nice too.
JAS84

I would expect that all of the Safeway products will just be repackaged Morrisons ones? That'd be why Safeway products won't be in Morrisons stores, no point.
bilky asko

JAS84 wrote:I would expect that all of the Safeway products will just be repackaged Morrisons ones? That'd be why Safeway products won't be in Morrisons stores, no point.
No, because it would create an unnecessary line of products in Morrisons stores.

Seeing as Morrisons is so vertically integrated, I'd be very surprised if they didn't create new products.
cwathen

Pete wrote:Suggestions here that they should consider bricks and mortar. Plus the suggestion that they're perhaps going for the classier end of the convenience store market, which stocks 12 craft beers per sqm, has artisan local biscuits, yet due to the wholesalers still ends up with a load of Heritage crap for ready meals.
This article https://www.retail-week.com/sectors/gro ... 28.article suggests stores of 3000 sq ft in size for any bricks and mortar convenience expansion - that's more the size of existing supermarket chain convenience offerings rather than small independent shops.