***THE OFFICIAL ALL NEW SAFEWAY THREAD***

cyberdude

sqwidge1978 wrote: Tue 01 Aug, 2017 17.32
thegeek wrote: Tue 01 Aug, 2017 12.36 Safeway-branded goods to be sold in McColl's: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-8679926
Rather interesting out come. Wonder what bearing this will have on Sainsburys proposed deal with Nisa, as McColls was the biggest contract Nisa had, accounting for two fifths of Nisa's revenues. This scenario did pop into my mind the other day when I read that McColls had put there contract up for tender earlier than expected. Will Sainsbury's still go ahead with Nisa deal or will they now pull out.?
It appears Nisa have struck a contract with the Co-op, so maybe not.
Finn

cwathen wrote: Tue 01 May, 2018 19.11 POS now all over McColl's...'Safeway, brought to you from Morrisons, only at McColl's'. Seems a bit confused. I thought the point of bringing back the Safeway brand was so Morrisons could operate as a wholesaler on the quiet without using their own brand outside of their own stores.

If their brand is going to appear anyway, what was the point?

And if there is concern that the Safeway brand has now been out of use for so long that it can't stand alone as a brand of 'supermarket quality' without effectively being underwritten by a current supermarket brand then again, what was the point?

It makes no sense. Confusing and diluted brands.

And there are way too many fonts, which doesn't help.
WillPS

cyberdude wrote: Mon 30 Jul, 2018 21.08
sqwidge1978 wrote: Tue 01 Aug, 2017 17.32
thegeek wrote: Tue 01 Aug, 2017 12.36 Safeway-branded goods to be sold in McColl's: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-8679926
Rather interesting out come. Wonder what bearing this will have on Sainsburys proposed deal with Nisa, as McColls was the biggest contract Nisa had, accounting for two fifths of Nisa's revenues. This scenario did pop into my mind the other day when I read that McColls had put there contract up for tender earlier than expected. Will Sainsbury's still go ahead with Nisa deal or will they now pull out.?
It appears Nisa have struck a contract with the Co-op, so maybe not.
A contract?! The Co-op have completely taken over Nisa. Keep up at the back!
bilky asko

Safeway Daily, anyone?

WillPS

What's going to be the difference in terms of customer expectations?
rdobbie

cwathen wrote: Tue 01 May, 2018 19.11 POS now all over McColl's...'Safeway, brought to you from Morrisons, only at McColl's'. Seems a bit confused. I thought the point of bringing back the Safeway brand was so Morrisons could operate as a wholesaler on the quiet without using their own brand outside of their own stores.

If their brand is going to appear anyway, what was the point?

And if there is concern that the Safeway brand has now been out of use for so long that it can't stand alone as a brand of 'supermarket quality' without effectively being underwritten by a current supermarket brand then again, what was the point?

That POS is shockingly bad on so many levels.

What the hell does "supermarket quality" mean? I've heard the term "restaurant quality" ... but "supermarket quality"?

McColl's must have an incredibly low opinion of their customers if they think a statement like that is going to impress them. As if it's aspirational to set foot inside a supermarket and purchase food!
WillPS

I guess the point is that it's better than the P&H/Booker/Nisa private label stuff they've flogged for years. Probably true.
all new Phil

Can’t help but wonder, given Morrisons clearly don’t have an issue with their name being plastered all over it, why they don’t just stock Morrisons-branded stuff instead.
sqwidge1978

all new Phil wrote: Fri 11 Jan, 2019 16.13 Can’t help but wonder, given Morrisons clearly don’t have an issue with their name being plastered all over it, why they don’t just stock Morrisons-branded stuff instead.
Looks like they may have had a rethink on the safe way brand as they appear to be rolling out Morrisons Daily brand rather than Safeway Daily.

https://www.talkingretail.com/news/indu ... 8-02-2019/
WillPS

Interesting. I presume this will be mostly their Co-op acquisitions.

Another Co-op rump store sale going bad, I wonder?
DJDave

Flipping heck I use to think the Co-op was expensive until McColls took over the one down the road, always empty when I got in, think it's only used for the cash machine and for other bits people walk 2 mins up the road to Tesco Express or Iceland.