US Election

bilky asko

I am going to place my chips down right now and say that Hillary Clinton will be the winner.
WillPS

[shameless plug]
Up all night? Disappointed there's no Metrochat? Give ChatPS a try. You can log in without registration.
[/shameless plug]

It'll be Clinton.
all new Phil

I think it'll be Trump, but either way it'll be close.
bilky asko

all new Phil wrote:I think it'll be Trump, but either way it'll be close.
Well, it appears you're right. I had a feeling that the polls would be off, but I guessed the wrong way.
Alexia

So............
Philip

Isnt it just great to have this awful sinking feeling twice in one year.

So much for the polls. Again.
WillPS

I think the polls themselves are part of the problem. People deduce from them their vote will be in the minority so wont cause change. Enough people do that and this happens.
wells

I think the common theme with both these two big votes this year is very rich individuals manipulating the poor and uneducated to give these rich individuals the end they want.

It's pretty uncanny how both the EU ref and the US election nights played out pretty much the same way. It'll be painted as the working class beating the elite again but it's very much a wealthy few pushing the buttons of the poor in order to better have their needs met.

The Donald Trump presidency doesn't worry me as much as the general shift to the right we are seeing in this country thanks to an unelectable Labour Party.
james2001

The really sad thing here is Clinton's actually won the popular vote, and Trump's lead in most of the swing states is minimal (in most cases, less than the amount of votes Gary Johnson got). It wouldn't have taken many people to have voted differently (or voted at all) to have turned this result around.

Pennsylvania, Florida, Michigan, Wisonsin, Arizona, all states where a small number of votes would have changed the winner and given Clinton a comfortable victory. Even New Hampshire only currently has Clinton around 1,500 votes ahead and could still flip to Trump.

It really shows why apathy and "protest votes" are not a good thing and lose elections, particularly when they're this tight.
barcode

The Full results are not in yet, I remember last time in 2012 somehow Obama went from 62million up to 65million over a couple of days. The other guy also went up.

9th November: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =522231998

17th Nov: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =523471795

You would think the full correct details would be up a month later.... you would be wrong. What a strange system.
Square Eyes

Democrats picked the wrong candidate and mis judged the current political mood. They needed a populist not an elitist candidate. Sanders would have likely delivered a different outcome.