The Co-op Thread

Critique
Posts: 949
Joined: Mon 17 Aug, 2009 10.37
Location: Suffolk

Mon 04 Mar, 2019 13.41

Used a Co-op self service till today and was mightily impressed. Was one of the card only machines so didn’t have a scale but was by far the quickest self serve checkout I’ve used. Unlike some places (Boots jumps out as an example) there’s no need to press any buttons prior to scanning, no clunky animations (like that awful software Sainsbury’s used to use) and it reacted pretty instantly to button presses etc. Only thing that was lacking is making it so you don’t have to choose a payment method and enable the contactless reader as soon as you hit the payment screen.

Terminals also didn’t look to be NCR which is a rarity.
thegeek
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 12.35

Mon 04 Mar, 2019 18.47

Co-op's takeover of Nisa and and the demise of the Heritage brand has had one small benefit in our local corner shop: they've got pints of milk rather than multiples of 500ml. I'm not a metric martyr - it just always felt like the latter were a sly attempt at shrinkflation.
User avatar
MarkAshley
Posts: 3288
Joined: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 13.53
Location: Near the Bottom

Mon 04 Mar, 2019 19.24

I've often thought of milk in litre bottles as a shrinkflation tactic, you're not alone there!!

Has anyone else noticed Co-op branded products appearing in Mace stores? My local petrol station has a Mace convenience store which since the death of P&H has been utterly dire in terms of range and price. But recently all manner of Co-op products have appeared on the shelves, from milk and ready meals to confectionary and grocery. Co-op prices too for the most part.
Image
Hairy.
User avatar
WillPS
Posts: 1988
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 18.32
Location: Carlton
Contact:

Tue 05 Mar, 2019 00.51

MarkAshley wrote:
Mon 04 Mar, 2019 19.24
I've often thought of milk in litre bottles as a shrinkflation tactic, you're not alone there!!

Has anyone else noticed Co-op branded products appearing in Mace stores? My local petrol station has a Mace convenience store which since the death of P&H has been utterly dire in terms of range and price. But recently all manner of Co-op products have appeared on the shelves, from milk and ready meals to confectionary and grocery. Co-op prices too for the most part.
They're the same group as Costcutter. Costcutter for a long time had the Nisa 'Heritage' stuff, then about 5 or 6 years ago moved to P&H's jazzy but usually poor quality 'Independent' offering. After a supply crisis following their demise they made a deal with the Co-op, which meant Heritage stuff returned, albeit briefly, before Co-op's own label took over.

There are as a result quite a lot of Costcutter/Mace/Kwiksave stores with a bit of P&H and/or Nisa stuff as well as the current Co-op stuff.
Image
scottishtv
Posts: 600
Joined: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 15.36
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Fri 10 May, 2019 16.49

I see Scotmid stores (Scottish Midland Co-op) have adjusted their branding to adopt the international Co-op logo, rather than the Co-op Group branding.

That said, the new logo isn't being used across all stores, and hasn't been changed on their website for some reason.

Image

I suspect one reason they've not adopted the Group branding is that there is quite a lot of overlap with Co-op Group owned stores within the area Scotmid operates, so they maybe want to try and differentiate a bit. Scotmid's own geographic patch has itself expanded over the years to cover much of Scotland.

Scotmid Funerals has also adopted the same logo. A few pics of stores are in their annual report.
sqwidge1978
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat 25 Jun, 2016 15.42

Fri 10 May, 2019 17.24

Lakes & Dale's Co-operative, which are owned by Scotmid (previously Penrith Co-operative Socity be takeover and rebrand by Scotmid) appear to have adopted the International Coop branding too.

Image
JAS84
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri 12 Aug, 2011 10.23
Location: Hull, UK

Mon 13 May, 2019 11.03

When will The Co-Operative Bank rebrand, I wonder? It's no longer owned by the Co-Op, and is still using the old generic branding.
User avatar
WillPS
Posts: 1988
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 18.32
Location: Carlton
Contact:

Mon 13 May, 2019 21.52

JAS84 wrote:
Mon 13 May, 2019 11.03
When will The Co-Operative Bank rebrand, I wonder? It's no longer owned by the Co-Op, and is still using the old generic branding.
As soon as the hedge funds manage to flog it off.
Image
thegeek
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 12.35

Mon 20 May, 2019 16.21

Any guesses as to what this version of the cloverleaf is doing on an EPOS screen?

Image

It's a brand new store, so not like it had been lurking on the system from two rebrands ago.
JetixFann450
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon 15 Oct, 2018 00.50

Mon 20 May, 2019 18.18

thegeek wrote:
Mon 20 May, 2019 16.21
Any guesses as to what this version of the cloverleaf is doing on an EPOS screen?

Image

It's a brand new store, so not like it had been lurking on the system from two rebrands ago.
I do think it could be that they looked up "Co-Op" logo on Google and the closest thing they've gotten is that. Never seen that logo since 2007 though.
I'm that guy from that forum. No, not this one.
JAS84
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri 12 Aug, 2011 10.23
Location: Hull, UK

Mon 20 May, 2019 18.53

Did that new store replace an old one and they just brought across the EPOS computers?
Post Reply